Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #101
AuntB
figuring it all out

AuntB is on a distinguished road
HMS,

What agent has your full?
“But the beginning of things, of a world especially, is necessarily vague, tangled, chaotic, and exceedingly disturbing. How few of us ever emerge from such beginning! How many souls perish in its tumult!” -Kate Chopin
AuntB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #102
AuntB
figuring it all out

Catherine requested my full off my partial today!!! Incredibly excited!!!
“But the beginning of things, of a world especially, is necessarily vague, tangled, chaotic, and exceedingly disturbing. How few of us ever emerge from such beginning! How many souls perish in its tumult!” -Kate Chopin
Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #103
rtrgirl
figuring it all out

rtrgirl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntB View Post
Catherine requested my full off my partial today!!! Incredibly excited!!!
OMG - Lucky you! That's awesome. Yay you!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #104
AuntB
figuring it all out

Thanks rtrgirl!

I'm beyond excited! This is the first full I've had requested off of a partial rather than just a query. And Catherine's definitely at the top of my list!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 AM   #105
akaSylvia
Doesn't Bite

akaSylvia is on a distinguished road
Has anyone had any interactions with Nathaniel Jacks of InkWell Management? He appears to be interested in sci/fi and fantasy but I'm struggling to find out anything specific.
akaSylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #106
Suzan
Living the Dream...

Suzan is a shiny, shiny jewelSuzan is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm interested in querying Mr. Pine at Inkwell. Anyone have any response times for this agent?
Suzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #107
djaffe
Me love books much

djaffe is on a distinguished road
hey folks

I know Catherine Drayton has a reputation for being FAST but I think I've got you all beat. She replied with a request for 50 pages 1 minute after I sent my query. I thought it was an automated response and was stunned to see a human reply

Will let you know if I get the big "R" or a request for full.
djaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #108
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This speed everyone's reporting is making me afraid mine got lost. It hasn't been a horribly long time so I'm not too worried, just longer than it looks like she usually takes.

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising in October

Little Gifts: Plotting for NaNo

Taylor-Made, version 4: Sent to editor!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #109
djaffe
Me love books much

djaffe is on a distinguished road
hey Sage

Good luck! I'd say that half of all my queries never get a reply and once sufficient time has passed (8 weeks or so), I'll usually resubmit to someone else at the agency if I think they are a decent fit for the project. It's possible the original query got lost but I tend to think a no-reply is a no.
djaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #110
Sarah Christine
I think you can do better.

Location: Where did the floor go? (This is not an existential question.)
Sarah Christine is well-respected
Sage, I FINALLY got a rejection from my 10/19 resent query to Catherine on 1/20 by what must have been her assistant.

I guess she only replies right away when she's interested. But by the time I received the rejection, I was like, "..........Why bother?" I had already checked her name off and started querying an entirely different project.

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.
Sarah Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #111
ILove2Write
Jaws has nightmares too

ILove2Write is on a distinguished road
To all of you who queried Catherine Drayton, did you email her through the general submissions from their website or her personal email listed on AgentQuery?
ILove2Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #112
nash
nom.nom.nom.nom

nash is on a distinguished road
@ILove2Write: I e-queired on 1/26/10 and sent to submissions@inkwellmanagement.com. No reply yet.
nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #113
AuntB
figuring it all out

I also queried at the general submissions email, though I put Attn: Catherine Drayton after my title in the subject line.

That was on 10/24
rec'd partial request on 10/27
full request on 12/08
emailed full on 12/09 and rec'd confirmation of receipt same day

Just over two months now... and I have no nails left to bite.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #114
Sage
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by djaffe View Post
I'd say that half of all my queries never get a reply and once sufficient time has passed (8 weeks or so), I'll usually resubmit to someone else at the agency if I think they are a decent fit for the project. It's possible the original query got lost but I tend to think a no-reply is a no.
I've gotten enough requests after a few months (one after a year) that I don't do this. The only time I do consider it (considering it now), is with the next project.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #115
AuntB
figuring it all out

Got an email from Catherine today. My heart jumped into my throat thinking it was a reply to my full, when in reality... it was another email saying she liked my partial, and asking for the full(which she already had). I was so confused, and was stressing trying to figure out what to say in a reply, but luckily she emailed back shortly apologizing and saying it was a mistake. She then said she was about to start reading and wanted to make sure I hadn't accepted representation.

I have to say though... now, at least, I know the upgrade from partial to a full wasn't a fluke, because she's done it TWICE.

Also, now I'm panicking everytime my phone vibrates with a new email. Urgh.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #116
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
lol how strange, AuntB, but congrats...again!

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
*Now available.*
Add on: Goodreads
Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Roly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #117
Sarah Christine
I think you can do better.

Location: Where did the floor go? (This is not an existential question.)
Sarah Christine is well-respected
Just an update, I queried Catherine this time on 2/11, and received a remarkably speedy rejection the next day. Maybe they're a little disorganized?

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.
Sarah Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #118
mtrenteseau
Mild-mannered accountant by day...

mtrenteseau is a shiny, shiny jewelmtrenteseau is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm part of the chorus that's frustrated because I don't know which agent to query.

I'm going to do the horribly tacky thing and just address it "Good Morning." Hopefully whoever goes through the e-mails will identify a book with "Murder" in the title as a mystery and send it to someone who might enjoy it.
mtrenteseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #119
Traven
Majestical Mystery Man

Traven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrenteseau View Post
I'm part of the chorus that's frustrated because I don't know which agent to query.

I'm going to do the horribly tacky thing and just address it "Good Morning." Hopefully whoever goes through the e-mails will identify a book with "Murder" in the title as a mystery and send it to someone who might enjoy it.
Let us know if you ever do figure out who's the "mystery agent" there.
Traven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #120
sarahfru
Chin up.

sarahfru is on a distinguished road
Inkwell Management

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Inkwell? After querying the agent, I got an email over 2 weeks ago from Ethan Bassoff asking for the first 100 pages of my novel. I haven't heard back. After a week, it felt promising. After 2 weeks, I think he passed on the novel without ever letting me know. Anyone else get this kind of brush-off?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #121
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm sure a mod will be along to move this to here--> <snipped>

But in general (that is, in the industry), responses to partial submissions can take months to receive.

I'd wait before writing this one off. But keep querying in the meantime.

Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-19-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!
amergina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #122
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi, Sarah, and welcome to AW.

There's a thread on Inkwell Management here.

There's also a general index to pre-existing threads here so you can see if an agency is being discussed.

It usually takes agents a while to give a response after they've asked for a partial so a fortnight is nothing. Personally, I'd give it a couple of months and then nudge to see if he's had a chance to read it.

MM

Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-19-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!
Momento Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:52 AM   #123
Sara Lou
YA/UF/Paranormal author

Sara Lou is on a distinguished road
I queried Catherine on the 16th of March (submissions@inkwellmanagement.com) and have yet to receive a reply--I know it's still early. The posts are confusing and the agency seems a little inconsistent. I have no idea when I should expect a response.
Sara Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #124
Sage
AW Moderator

Huh, I still haven't heard after 2.5 months.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #125
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I had to query Catherine twice. I queried her at the beginning of Feb and then again mid March. She got back to me within three days the second try.

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
*Now available.*
Add on: Goodreads
Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Roly is online now   Reply With Quote