Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #251
Araenvo
Author

Araenvo is well-respected
Sent a query to Nathaniel Jacks yesterday - here's hoping for a reply!
Araenvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #252
lisa17
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

lisa17 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone heard from Charlie Olson lately?
lisa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #253
hester
New year, new avatar.

hester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admiration
Hi lisa17!

I EQ'd him on 1/18-no reply as of yet...

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.

Last edited by hester; 02-06-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: forgot the "of"
hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #254
LindaSW

LindaSW is on a distinguished road
Equeried Kim Witherspoon on 11/16 and got request for full from her assistant.

Yippee!

This is my first full on a 'cold' equery. Peace...
Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #255
Michael Myers
Oh, puh-leeze.

Michael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMichael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMichael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMichael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMichael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMichael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMichael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMichael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMichael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMichael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMichael Myers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For the score-keepers, I e-queried on 2 FEB, got an R on 29 MARCH.
Michael Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #256
ThunderBoots
Back with new name, no dachshunds

ThunderBoots is on a distinguished road
Response to a Query/Drayton

Does Ms. Drayton always ... eventually ... respond?

She isn't the strong, silent type, is she?

(no response= no interest, go away, you're bothering me, kid)
ThunderBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #257
bershka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBoots View Post
Does Ms. Drayton always ... eventually ... respond?

She isn't the strong, silent type, is she?

(no response= no interest, go away, you're bothering me, kid)
She must be really busy. After three months, I received a query rejection from her assistant.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #258
ThunderBoots
Back with new name, no dachshunds

ThunderBoots is on a distinguished road
Red face

Three months to reject a query?!

Well, it still is nicer to eventually get some validation that you & your query really do exist ...

Thanks for the info.
ThunderBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #259
Paula
figuring it all out

Paula is on a distinguished road
Hi everybody! Does anybody know if anyone other than Catherine Drayton represents Fantasy, at Inkwell ? I've been reading their bios but it's not very clear (reading her bio, for example, I wouldn't guess she represents fantasy). Thank you.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #260
Vandal
In the Center of things

Vandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
According to QueryTracker, none of the agents (including C Drayton) represents Fantasy.

Center Point is available from Writers AMuse Me Publishing

Dizzy Miss Lizzie returns November 22, 2014!

My website
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #261
Paula
figuring it all out

Paula is on a distinguished road
Well, yeah, that's strange, right? She represents Becca Fitzpatrick, who writes fantasy.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #262
Cameron

Cameron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
According to QueryTracker, none of the agents (including C Drayton) represents Fantasy.
Sometimes it's better to go to the statistics pages where you can find the actual responses of an agent to various genres. For Drayton, for instance, her two most queried genres are YA and middle grade, but she also gets queries for fantasy and often requests material:

Genre: queries/positive responses/(% positive)
YA: 434/75 (17%)
MG: 114/16 (14%)
F: 46/7 (15%)
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #263
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
I believe what Fitzpatrick writes falls under the category of "paranormal romance" since it is about fallen angels (correct me if I am wrong).

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #264
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Catherine Drayton requested a partial of my YA last year. She ultimately passed but was very nice.

Wait a minute! It says they accept all genres. Hopefully,that includes my baby,horror!

Good luck to everyone querying and with the fulls and partials. Fingers crossed for y'all!

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #265
tbrosz
Got the hang of it, here

tbrosz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Some do. I got my Publishers Marketplace "deals of the day" e-mail today. A debut author, Amy Ewing, sold a series "set in a dark fairytale world where technology and magic intermingle." Charlie Olson got her a three-book "major" deal at auction, and the agency also landed overseas rights and movie rights. Wow.
tbrosz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #266
QueenViv
practical experience, FTW

QueenViv is on a distinguished road
I queried Allison Hunter on May 04 and got no answer. Is she a "no answer" = no agent? And if she is, is this the kind of agency where no from one agent is no from all agents?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #267
Cricket18
Gnawing my hairless tail

Cricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't think it's a no from one is a no from all, Queenviv.

I got a full request from N@t J@cks. Was super excited. Hasn't been long at all, but, as usual, I'm already losing hope....
Cricket18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #268
QueenViv

QueenViv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket18 View Post
I don't think it's a no from one is a no from all, Queenviv.

I got a full request from N@t J@cks. Was super excited. Hasn't been long at all, but, as usual, I'm already losing hope....
Well, I'll give her another couple of weeks before I resend the query then. Maybe it got stuck on her spam filter.

And congrats on the full!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #269
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just got a request from David Forrer, does anyone know his response times?

Disconnected
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #270
LindaSW

LindaSW is on a distinguished road
Beating a Dead Horse

Equeried Kim Witherspoon on 11/16 and got request for full from her assistant on 2/8.

No response despite two email queries on status since then.

Have two partials out, time to resaddle. Peace...
Old 10-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #271
retlaw
Banned

retlaw is on a distinguished road
InkWell Management

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, so pls set me right if I need to go elsewhere with it.

Whilst looking for an agent who handles cross-genre materials, I came across InkWell. Here are their submission guidelines:

http://inkwellmanagement.com/contact/

There are a few things that raise a red flag to me, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this agency, or can comment on my concerns below. Perhaps these are standard sort of things that I've just never seen spelled out like InkWell does it.

First, I found it a bit odd that InkWell had a TOA for a submission. When I read it, I found this nugget:

<p>I further agree that (i) no confidential or fiduciary relationship exists between InkWell Management and me; [snip...] (iii) InkWell Management and/or any of its clients may use without obligation to me any material which is not legally protected; (iv) InkWell Management and/or any of its clients may have created, may create, or may otherwise have access to materials, ideas, and creative works which may be similar or identical to the Material with regard to theme, motif, plots, characters, formats, or other attributes; and (v) I shall not be entitled to any compensation because of the proposed use or use of any such similar or identical material that may be or may have been created by InkWell Management and/or any of its clients or that may have been created by InkWell Management and/or any of its clients that may have come to InkWell Management and/or any of its clients from any other independent source.</p>

Now, part of me understands that InkWell wants to protect itself should it have similar materials. And it does at the stipulation about "legally protected". Would copyright laws protect my work from this contract?

Then there's:
InkWell ... may have created, may create, or may otherwise have access to materials, ideas, and creative works which may be similar or identical (//w - emphasis mine) to the Material with regard to theme, motif, plots, characters, formats, or other attributes

Yikes. I dunno but it seems like I'm giving away my "material". Am I?

TIA
retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #272
mayqueen

mayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You might check out this thread about InkWell to read about various members' experiences with them.

I'm not a legal genius, but those terms seem pretty standard. Your work is protected by copyright because you wrote it. My reading of that suggestions that they simply don't want to be sued if they rep a book that's similar to someone's they don't rep.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #273
retlaw
Banned

retlaw is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the link to that thread. Doesn't seem like anyone has actually cried, "They took our jobs!" (South Park reference, anyone?) I gotta say, I'm not in favor of that language, and if _that_ is how they greet you at the door... one must wonder what it's like once your inside.
retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #274
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
retlaw, I've merged your new thread in Ask The Agent with the existing one in BR&BC.

As for the clause you've highlighted: why would you object to this? They're attempting to protect themselves and you from misunderstandings later. While I think it's sad that they've decided they have to do this, I don't see any problem with it. You might like to consider why they think it's necessary, by the way.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #275
akaSylvia
Doesn't Bite

akaSylvia is on a distinguished road
Hmm, surely they don't need to protect themselves from creating identical materials?
akaSylvia is offline   Reply With Quote