Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #226
TerryRodgers
practical experience, FTW

TerryRodgers is on a distinguished road
450k? Wow. Even at 300 words per page that's 1,500 pages? She agreed to see the whole thing even though you indicated the size in a query? You can make 4 books out of that. Two months may be on the low side. Good luck.

Terry Rodgers
Friend Me: http://www.facebook.com/terryallenrodgers
Follow Me: http://www.twitter.com/terryrodgers
TerryRodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #227
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsLadie View Post
Sent Catherine my manuscript February 18th, received a quick "Thanks!" the next day...and still waiting to hear more. It is a very long manuscript (450,000 words), so I figure she'll need at least two months to get through it, with the rest of her busy schedule. Noticed she just had a major signing last week. Go Catherine!
Did you include the word count in your query?

In any case, some people take a long time to get to fulls, even if they're shorter. I generally wouldn't consider nudging until after 3 months had passed unless I was told specifically that they would be back in less.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #228
DocsLadie
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

DocsLadie is on a distinguished road
Actually, it's 1118 pages space-and-a-half. Huge! Read my post above for the previous submission on this story. I probably won't nudge her at all, knowing that she knows me and my work and will definitely give the work the attention it needs. She's awesome and I am willing to wait for her. Thanks!
DocsLadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 AM   #229
DocsLadie

Update: Two months April 18th and still waiting. No news is good news, I'm told...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #230
DocsLadie

Three months on Wednesday, and still no news -- until a very nice, very brief email in the middle of the night last night (Australia is 14 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time): "I'm afraid that I haven't started yet. Too many manuscripts, too little time!" Then some legal advice on sending it to "readers" via Kindle, and signed "Warm regards." All in all, a very nice update -- though of course, I'd rather she'd have read it already and found me five or six competing publishing offers! Though long as it is, I'll be happy with one brave editor at one forward-thinking publisher who knows that in an eBook world, length matters little, and that Gone With the Wind and Lonesome Dove were both epic and huge bestsellers in print. So I will remain patient and wait on Catherine, the best agent in the business, who happily still has "warm regards" for me! Another update at Month Four or (hopefully!) sooner! But for now, back to Stede Bonnet, the erstwhile owner of a Barbados sugar plantation with a love of sailing in his heart!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #231
AntheaL
Mostly Cheerful

AntheaL is on a distinguished road
Queried Catherine Drayton 5/8, form R 5/11. At least it was quick!

Currently querying 67k YA fantasy
2 fulls, 3 partials, 10 Rs
AntheaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #232
DocsLadie

Another nice note today (5/30), apologizing for taking so long, and freeing me to query other agents if I am tired of waiting. And still "warm regards." I'll wait!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #233
Grover

Grover is on a distinguished road
Last summer, I received a request for my full manuscript from Ethan Bassoff along with a favor. He mentioned that he'd be travelling, but that he'd printed the manuscript and put it in his bag to read and asked for an exclusive so that he would have sufficient time. A year has now gone by with no word. I followed-up after the one-month exclusive period, but didn't receive a response. All follow-up emails have gone unanswered.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 AM   #234
ScribeLady

ScribeLady is on a distinguished road
Elisa Petrini-No Longer at Inkwell

Elisa Petrini is no longer at Inkwell; appears to have left a month or so ago. Does anyone know if she's with another agency?

Scribelady
ScribeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 AM   #235
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
Any quick responses from Catherine Drayton lately? I e-queried on 7/18 and am still waiting. Not long for most agents, I know, but she's reputed to be so fast!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #236
Barber
Timing is everything...

Barber has earned our admirationBarber has earned our admirationBarber has earned our admirationBarber has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMC View Post
Any quick responses from Catherine Drayton lately?
Yes. I e-queried July 28 and was e-jected Aug 2.
Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #237
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Yes. I e-queried July 28 and was e-jected Aug 2.
hmmm ... thanks. wonder if i didn't go through? or if no news is good news ...
Old 09-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #238
bershka

Does anyone know if Richard Pine is accepting submissions or not?

On all the pages I have searched online so far, it says that he does not accept unsolicited queries.

Cheers!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #239
JoyMC

i don't know, but since Inkwell is bumped up, any other responses from Catherine Drayton lately? i queried her in mid-July and got no response. requeried in mid-August (thinking it hadn't gone through, since others had queried and gotten responses after me and she's reputed to be sooo fast) and still no response. has she turned non-responder? or does her email hate my email?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #240
JoyMC

i finally heard from Catherine Drayton - equeried 7/18, rejected 9/25.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #241
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I queried Catherine Drayton on 9-19 and received a request for a partial on 9-20.

Wish me luck!

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #242
MysteryScribe

MysteryScribe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty27 View Post
I queried Catherine Drayton on 9-19 and received a request for a partial on 9-20.

Wish me luck!
Yay! Good Luck

Represented by Barbara Poelle of the Irene Goodman Literary Agency.

Let's be interwebz friends:

Blog
Twitter
tumblr
MysteryScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #243
ScribeLady

Does anyone have any experience with David Hale Smith -- his response times, etc? I believe he's relatively new at Inkwell; had his own agency before that.

Scribelady
Old 09-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #244
sanssouci

sanssouci is well-respected
Quote:

Wish me luck!
Damn. You have great stats, Kitty!
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #245
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
Damn. You have great stats, Kitty!

Thank you! I sweated blood and cried a river for that query letter of the damned. Hopefully,I am getting close to the next step aka a request for a full.

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #246
happywritermom

happywritermom is a glorious beacon of lighthappywritermom is a glorious beacon of lighthappywritermom is a glorious beacon of light
About 6 weeks for a response from David Hale Smith, but worth the wait. He did not offer representation for this novel, but is willing to take a look at revisions of another when I done. My interactions with him this time and when I first queried him on another project two years ago have been nothing but positive. Inkwell is fortunate to have him on board.
happywritermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #247
ScribeLady

After 3+ months, I received a personalized rejection from David Hale Smith's assistant.

Scribelady
Old 11-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #248
bershka

Question

Quote:
Thank you! I sweated blood and cried a river for that query letter of the damned. Hopefully,I am getting close to the next step aka a request for a full.
Out of curiosity, have you received a request for a full from Catherine Drayton?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #249
pavtbr

pavtbr is on a distinguished road
Query sent

Sent an email query to David Forrer this evening for a historical fiction. Will post back when I hear a response.
Bryan
pavtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #250
pavtbr

pavtbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavtbr View Post
Sent an email query to David Forrer this evening for a historical fiction. Will post back when I hear a response.
Bryan
Received a polite and complimentary rejection today. I was quite pleased with it in a strange kind of way...
pavtbr is offline   Reply With Quote