"You are not a real writer yet, when:" or "Shit to look out for when writing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]So, here are my 40 points with today’s afternoon coffee about shit [FONT=&quot]to lookout for[/FONT]. Mainly based on my personal journey and growth, and those of my writing buddies.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Additions[FONT=&quot],[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]s[/FONT]ubtractions[FONT=&quot], and e[/FONT]laborations[FONT=&quot] are welcome.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You are not a real writer yet, when:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think that there are “correct” and “incorrect” percentages of “show” and “tell”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think there are “correct” and “incorrect” POV types[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think there are “correct” and “incorrect” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]percentages of adverbs and adjectives[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think there is an X-point template which helps make good plots[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think your X-point template plot will work even better if it conforms to the Hero’s Journey or any other trendy gestalt archetype quantum fractal thingie[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think there’s a formula to how many love triangles, betrayals, and plot twists there should be in a book[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You judge your writing style according to external criteria and not the needs of your book[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You force yourself to “write correctly”, squeezing in “motivation”, “depth”, “edginess”, “hooks”, and any other buzzword concept you run across.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think “motivation” means presenting a character’s biography[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think “character depth” means presenting a character’s biography[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think “realism” is soap opera melodrama[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think “edgy” is soap opera histrionics[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think “gritty” is someone being a loser or an asshole[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think “a hook” is someone getting shot in the opening paragraph[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You use ready-made descriptions and all your characters keep clenching their fists, gritting their teeth, knitting their brows, curling their lips, and feeling their stomachs knot[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Every soundwave bounces around like a ping-pong ball, deflected from any conceivable surface[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Every metallic or glass object shines or glitters or flashes. As do eyes and teeth and nails[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think dialogues are good enough if the only qualifier is "said", and after every sentence the participants scratch their noses, throw back locks of hair, walk over to the window, sigh, frown, scowl, or slap each other’s backs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]19. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You are deaf to the rhythms of prose[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You are unable to maintain a consistent style for more than a page[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]21. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You fret about being unoriginal[/FONT], because it helps you ignore the real reasons for not being good enough
[FONT=&quot]22. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think finicky world-building and compulsive-obsessive “magic rules/planetary empire hierarchies” is what will make your speculative novel great[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]23. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think genre conventions have an objective[/FONT] existence
[FONT=&quot]24. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think there is one “correct” style of writing for all genres and all ages and it’s the style you just learned of[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]25. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You are unable to see what makes the greats better than you and soon convince yourself it’s all luck and connections[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]26. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think that learning from the greats means trying to copy their style[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]27. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think you shouldn’t put everything you have into one book, but should “pace yourself”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]28. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]It takes you so long to write a single book that by the time you reach the end you’ve changed so much as a human being, you start over again and again[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]29. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You do not finish manuscripts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]30. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You treat you manuscript as “writing practice”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]31. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think “writing exercise” allows you to not write for real[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]32. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think being depreciative about your book is endearing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]33. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think being an ironic narrator will save your book[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]34. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You refuse to understand that you are competing with the best and insist on special treatment[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]35. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think editing your book is someone else’s job[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]36. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You insist that you don’t care about success or prose quality, and “only want to tell a rip-roar yarn”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]37. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think having lifeless prose makes you “an invisible narrator”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]38. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You think that writing a book is preparing for an exam, and publishing the book is passing the exam and having passed this exam you are now “a writer”.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]39. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You are only doing this to prove something to someone[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]40. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You have nothing to say [/FONT]

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
25 is a struggle for me, although I'm a little more enlightened than I used to be. I can recognize a great writer, book, or passage, but I still wonder how s/he got away with breaking "the rules" in that case and I can't (as evidenced by the hoots and hollers of my beta readers).

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'm surprisingly not bothered by this list, except the concept that anyone of these things wouldn't make one a real writer. Oh, and that they seem to bash newer writers, because they're often a symptom of newness.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
While some of these are indeed true, lists like this are kind of bullshit, and almost a high-and-mighty way to separate "you/us" from "them". I think the only thing that sparates us from them is that the real writers write and the wannabes...well...don't.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to underline "only" with #18 to emphasize the point.

#25 is a bit dodgy, because it's subjective and falls into a few problems. One of the main reasons why readers are able to identify great writers is because of the reader's prior experience with "great" works. They seek the same techniques and styles that they have been taught are "great" and seek those in other works. You could say that "great" works are those that people have upheld as great, leading others along to believe that is so. Therefore, it's hard to say what is great and connect that to inexperience. Do note: I'm not arguing against classics and great works, in fact I love most works upheld as great or see parts of them as great.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
#25 is a bit dodgy, because it's subjective and falls into a few problems. One of the main reasons why readers are able to identify great writers is because of the reader's prior experience with "great" works. They seek the same techniques and styles that they have been taught is "great" and seek those in other works. You could say that "great" works are those that people have upheld as great, leading others along to believe that is so. Therefore, it's hard to say what is great and connect that to inexperience. Do note: I'm not arguing against classics and great works, in fact I love most works upheld as great or see parts of them as great.

I would add that all of us incorporate dozens of influential works (influential to us) in our own way. What makes you, me, or anyone else a great writer is when we output all those influences in a way that connects to the readers we hope to reach.

I'm more charitable to such lists than some others. It's important to distill our writing experiences to share with others. With the caveat, of course, that they aren't seen as do-or-die criteria by either the lister or the reader. They're useful for discussion and reflection.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone on this thread gets a :Trophy: for procrastination.

Please rep me.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
My procrastination trophy shelf is too full by now. I'll have to clear a few more shelves for the next batch :D

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I shall not be goaded into making distasteful jokes about serial reppists.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
...and edgy and gritty rep. With motivation and depth.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
41. You use the phrase "real writer" non-sarcastically :D

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I vote we add #41. While I wouldn't go so far as to add #42 (If you are defensive about any point in this list...) I do have to admit I've been guilty of most of them. Of course it's a subjective list. I think that's rather the point, that new/unskilled writers often follow rules over nuance.

Thanks for posting the list, Dondomat. May I quote it on my writing blog, with full AW citations?

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I vote we add #41. While I wouldn't go so far as to add #42 (If you are defensive about any point in this list...) I do have to admit I've been guilty of most of them. Of course it's a subjective list. I think that's rather the point, that new/unskilled writers often follow rules over nuance.

Thanks for posting the list, Dondomat. May I quote it on my writing blog, with full AW citations?

I think it's rather unfair to slag someone off for not getting nuances when they still don't understand the rules. And to say someone isn't a writer because they're still trying to learn. I guess if you ever make a mistake or have a doubt you're not a "real writer." "Real writers" just instinctively know how to produce perfect novels the first time they sit down. :Shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.