Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #76
MichaelP
Keep on keepin' on...

MichaelP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlight View Post
If you're sending a hard copy, most people like (or did when hard copy was popular) to put name (or both names) and title and page number on the running header. This helps if someone drops the hardcopy and pages fly every where. It also leads to the file with your contact information in it.

If you're sending an attachement, I'd at least put all that on the first page. Some people don't like page numbers for these.

Or you could just email her and ask.

Oh, and congrats!

Stlight

Thanks -- I emailed, and now I'll wait... Better to get it right!
MichaelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:44 AM   #77
Juneluv12
Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants

Juneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Anybody query in late July hear back from their query yet?

JtBH: YA Contemp: Agented

"Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."--Vanilla Sky
Juneluv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:21 AM   #78
Traven
Majestical Mystery Man

Traven is on a distinguished road
I hope she's maybe a little faster with my query -- but then, isn't that what we all hope?
Traven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #79
ChrryBlssmGrrl
Paranormal Princess

ChrryBlssmGrrl is on a distinguished road
I queried Jenny 4 days ago

This obviously hasn't been a very long wait at all by any stretch of the imagination but (to go slightly off topic!!) I'm finding that I very much prefer agencies which send you even an automated email to let you know that they got your query and how many days/weeks you can expect to wait before you hear anything.

Mild rant concluded lol

Thank goodness we have this forum to share our various experiences with each other so you have some idea of what you can expect from various agencies...

Current Status: Had a baby in August and trying to finish a PhD. Not getting too much writing done at the minute...but I'm trying

ChrryBlssmGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #80
Daddyo
been around a while

Daddyo has a spectacular auraDaddyo has a spectacular aura
I queried on 7/29/09 and haven't heard anything back--yet. Glad I checked in here to see that I have plenty of company. Anyway--
Blog
RIVER BOTTOM BLUES--now available @ the usual suspects, even iTunes and my website/blog
THE DEVIL'S BLUES--available now from Amazon and Barking Rain Press
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 AM   #81
Traven
Majestical Mystery Man

Yeah, waiting three months just to hear they didn't like your first five pages sucks.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:18 AM   #82
erin_michelle
Foreshadowing Queen

erin_michelle is on a distinguished road
Long time lurker, finally decided to registered.

I queried on July 22 and received my R on August 27th.
erin_michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #83
Juneluv12

Juneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, I'm excited to say I got a Full request off my July 17th query on Monday...

I'm hoping the wait won't be too long.

BTW: For those of you who got requests, did the reader say to you to let her know if you got an offer before you signed?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #84
Traven
Majestical Mystery Man

Well, good for you Juneluv12! That's the kind of news we like to hear.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #85
MichaelP
Keep on keepin' on...

MichaelP is on a distinguished road
I've had a full with Jenny since 7/14. Fingers crossed...

Yes, I received the same request.
MichaelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #86
Juneluv12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
I've had a full with Jenny since 7/14. Fingers crossed...

Yes, I received the same request.

Oh geez! Srsly?

Well, I figured the comment was form, but it's been two months for you? Ugh.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #87
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Good luck, Michael & Juneluv!

I just requeried her after reading on her blog that anyone who queried her in April and didn't get a response, should resend. I wonder if I'll get a response this time!

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #88
Phantom Writer
Dancing between good and evil...

Phantom Writer is well-respected
Fingers crossed for your Erin. I sent off my query to Jenny the beginning of the month. Still waiting to hear so we can wait together.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #89
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Writer View Post
Fingers crossed for your Erin. I sent off my query to Jenny the beginning of the month. Still waiting to hear so we can wait together.
Yep, we'll wait together! Good luck on yours.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #90
Phantom Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Yep, we'll wait together! Good luck on yours.
Thanx Erin! Fingers & Toes both crossed. I think querying has been harder than writing the novel...
Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #91
ChrryBlssmGrrl
Paranormal Princess

ChrryBlssmGrrl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneluv12 View Post
Well, I'm excited to say I got a Full request off my July 17th query on Monday...

I'm hoping the wait won't be too long.

BTW: For those of you who got requests, did the reader say to you to let her know if you got an offer before you signed?
How exciting, good luck! I e-queried Jenny on Aug 27th so good to have some idea of her response times. Keeping everything crossed for you and for you as well Michael!

Current Status: Had a baby in August and trying to finish a PhD. Not getting too much writing done at the minute...but I'm trying

ChrryBlssmGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #92
Vermilion
Sleepless in Asia

Vermilion is on a distinguished road
My experience with the Jenny Bent Agency has been weird.

I e-queried her on Aug 16th, and received a rejection on Sep 3rd, but it was one of the nicely worded ones:

Thank you so much for writing me about your project. As I get up and running I find I am a bit overwhelmed with queries, so I apologize for the delay in responding. I read and consider each query carefully and while yours is not exactly what I am looking for, I would certainly encourage you keep trying. I know your work is important to you and I am grateful that you wrote to me.

Then I received a request for the first ten pages from her assistant, Connie, on Oct 6th, asking me to attention it to her. I thought there might be hope somewhat, until I received a rejection again, worded in the same way, from Jenny today.

I assumed there must have been a mix-up between her assistant and herself, but being rejected twice is no fun.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #93
Phantom Writer

Vermillion that is def weird... Did you send the first ten pages to the same email you got the r from?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #94
budgie_brain
figuring it all out

budgie_brain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post

Then I received a request for the first ten pages from her assistant, Connie, on Oct 6th, asking me to attention it to her. I thought there might be hope somewhat, until I received a rejection again, worded in the same way, from Jenny today.

I assumed there must have been a mix-up between her assistant and herself, but being rejected twice is no fun.
Sorry to hear that, Vermilion. But it sounds like the assistant liked your idea, and that's always a good sign.
budgie_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #95
Traven
Majestical Mystery Man

I would think so. I wrote her off at six weeks.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:57 AM   #96
Karen Dionne
figuring it all out

Karen Dionne is on a distinguished road
I email Jenny occasionally because of my Backspace conferences, and so I happen to know that Jenny's had a lot of trouble with her server over the past few months. Her webhost tells her it's most likely because of high volume (she gets over 100 queries a day!). Some queries were deleted, and others got duplicated - sometimes more than once (which is probably the reason for Vermilion's double rejection). I know she feels really badly about the confusion. She's hired more interns and is switching servers this week, so her response time should get back to normal very soon.

THE KILLING: UNCOMMON DENOMINATOR - original novel based on the Fox/AMC television series. Coming June 24, 2014
author website
Karen Dionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #97
Karen Dionne
figuring it all out

Karen Dionne is on a distinguished road
If you got a confirmation that your query was received, I'd give it a couple more weeks, knowing she's fallen behind. Then if you do resubmit, be sure to mention the date of your original query and the reason you're sending it again so she knows you're not just being a pest. Good luck!

THE KILLING: UNCOMMON DENOMINATOR - original novel based on the Fox/AMC television series. Coming June 24, 2014
author website
Karen Dionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #98
Vermilion
Sleepless in Asia

Vermilion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Writer View Post
Vermillion that is def weird... Did you send the first ten pages to the same email you got the r from?
Yeah, I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgie_brain View Post
Sorry to hear that, Vermilion. But it sounds like the assistant liked your idea, and that's always a good sign.
Thanks, budgie. At least I can try to comfort myself with that, lol.

Good luck to those of you still submitting.
I was just hoping instead of receiving a second form rejection from Jenny (I don't know if she read the first ten pages), I could hear from her assistant, and if Connie liked it, maybe she could get Jenny to read it.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #99
Arquebus
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Arquebus is on a distinguished road
I just got the form eject from an Aug 20 query. I think now would be a good time to query, or requery her.
Arquebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #100
Traven
Majestical Mystery Man

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Dionne View Post
If you got a confirmation that your query was received, I'd give it a couple more weeks, knowing she's fallen behind. Then if you do resubmit, be sure to mention the date of your original query and the reason you're sending it again so she knows you're not just being a pest. Good luck!
Do I take this to mean one always gets a confirmation from Bent that the query was received? I'm pretty sure I never got one. So, you know, maybe I should re-query...