Self Published my Sci-Fi novel (two weeks ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
Before I published I lurked through this forum a while and weighed a lot of the advice and lessons learned. Given that I took--I thought I should also give.

Personal Background: I'm a professional (corporate/government/technical) writer, and have been for ten years. I've done anything from writing public policy to editing international briefs about high end defense toys. I have a handful of academic degrees (English, Social Theory, Master's in Literature). So, going into this, I have quite a few skills that are very useful when self publishing: I did all of my own formatting for print and digital versions, and did the graphic editing (but did not create the art) to setup my cover, etc. This is my first novel.

Why Self-Publish: I self published mostly because I wanted to. Consider me a bit of a digital hippie, but I have a belief in crowd funding, independent publishing, and generally 'sticking it to the man'. Additionally, like most self-published writers, I really enjoy the level of control that I have over my work.

What I Published: A sci-fi adventure story. It's the first in what I plan to be a four-book series. I'm about 1/4 into the second book now.

My plan: First and foremost, my plan for this book isn't to make money. I mean, sure, I want to buy a few nice bottles of scotch by the time I'm done--but my day job keeps me fed and bedded. My goal is to build readership and learn the system.

I went Amazon and enrolled in KDP. I'd heard mixed reviews about e-book give-away periods on Amazon, and was simply too curious not to test it out. So, that's how I started:

1. I got my e-book up online and told my four beta readers (But nobody else). They put up their initial reviews so that I had some words/stars to start with. The reason I didn't tell anyone else (friends/family) was because I wanted to use this first period as a control group to see what kind of impact to sales/review accumulation I could get out of the Amazon give-away period.

2. With four reviews up (3x5star and 1x4 star), I put it up for free for 3 days (starting on a Friday). By Monday morning, I had 396 downloads. From what I understand, this was on the high side of average for first-time authors with no following. So a good start. (Which I credit at least partially to my cover--which was painted by a good friend of mine).

3. While I was waiting for the print edition to become available, I watched my sales. The day after the giveaway ended, I sold 7 (Monday) then 4 (Tuesday) the next day... over the rest of the week I ended up with 19 sales (without having advertised the book).

I thought that was a pretty positive response. I'd given away my book to about 400--and that helped me sell it to 19. In reality, not the worst trade-off.

4. With that initial wave dying down--and my print edition available. I went and made my "Author Page" on Facebook public and "announced" my book to my personal social network the following Monday. 8-9 of my friends "Shared" the link, and so I had a pretty good echo across a little corner of cyberspace.

Over the next two days, I sold 11 e-books and 9 print. With steady sales tricking since then.

Results:
1. Two weeks ago my "giveaway" period on Amazon ended. Since then there have only been two days where I didn't sell at least one E-book (I may have sold print editions those days, it's hard to tell since CreateSpace doesn't post your print edition sales until they are printed). During that time I've averaged over 3 e-book sales per day. Again, feeling good.

2. In these first two weeks I've sold 13 print, and 44 e-book versions. I'll add, at least at this point, I'm 99% certain I personally know all the people who have purchased the print edition. But the e-book has gotten a wider audience. Personally, I'm quite happy with this as a starting point.

3. Reviews! My initial reviews were 'seeded' by my betas. So they really didn't mean much to me. Since putting the book out, I've received 4 more reviews. 3 of which were from people I do not know (actual readers!). And all of them have been glowingly positive (Two said it would be a great movie, and another compared me to Lois Bujolds.. I'll take it!)

Given the time frame, I am going to assume that those reviews were probably/possibly results of the initial book give-away period. If so, it was definitely worth it. I suppose I should have waited 2 weeks after the give-away to see if reviews would come in from those readers before advertising it through my social network--but honestly I didn't want to wait.

Interesting take-aways:

1. During the giveaway period I had downloads from all over the world. UK, Aussi, Germany, India, Canada, etc. Since the giveaway ended, I've had a good number of sales in the UK (10), with 1-2 sales each in Canada and Australia.

2. The 3.99 price point seems effective for e-books (and the royalties are pretty good per sale). There was a discussion on this elsewhere on the blog, which convinced me that for a book like mine (listed at 360 pages e-book, 278 print, 117k words), 3.99 was a fair price. I agree--and it seems readers think so to.

3. I don't blog or tweet--but I'm still selling books. Do what you will with that one. Personally I haven't read anything of twitter helping convert sales on a notable scale. And, honestly, I work full time, have a family, and am writing novels. I don't have time, energy, or motivation to blog anything meaningful.

4. Advertising: When the free period ended, I took out a 30-day ad on Facebook with a targeted demographic. I put in $50 and told facebook to run it as often as it can as a small ad on my specific sci-fi demographic. So far (2 weeks) the ad has displayed 40,000+ times, and gotten 45 clicks. This means I'm paying about $0.45 cents per click. How many convert to sales? No idea. Not 100% of them, probably not 50% of them, but, 20-30%? possibly. Unfortunately there is no way to tell for certain. I DO think that as I gain more (positive) reviews, that the facebook ad approach may be more effective. As it was, my ad was my book cover with a little blurb about "Need a new great sci-fi epic?" or something like that.

If anyone else has experiences with doing FB ads or the like, I'd be curious to hear what kind of numbers they saw.

A noob's tips:

1. Edit the hell out of your work. I wrote the book in 3 months, and spent 7 re-writing it.

2. Take criticism from reviewers.

3. Get good reviewers.

4. ^ Seriously ^

5. I was lucky enough to have a profession where I am very good with desktop publishing and was able to do all of the formatting myself. If you don't have that skillset, and want to self publish, find someone who does have the skills. Getting the book to look right in e-book and print formats is tricky and can be a bit of a task if desktop publishing is not your forte.

I suppose that's enough of my jabbering. Obviously, if you want to check out my book, it's linked in the sig :)

Last edited:

RLMcKeown

The rambling bard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccamckeownwrites.com
Congratulations on your sales! Are you planning to stay on Select, or do you think you'll upload your book to other sites at a later date?

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I can only give you my experience and opinion here, but if this is your first novel and the first of a series, you might consider pricing it at 99 cents. You'll find that most genre fans will take a chance on a 99 cent book that wouldn't pony up 3.99 for an unknown author.

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
I plan on dropping the price when the second one comes out. At the moment I don't really see the need since I'm seeing consistent sales that are in-line or better with what I expected.

And yeah, i do intend on spreading out into B&N and other areas once the Select 90 days is up. Here in another week I'll be eligible to put it on sale. I'll make sure I report on how that works.

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I plan on dropping the price when the second one comes out. At the moment I don't really see the need since I'm seeing consistent sales that are in-line or better with what I expected.

And yeah, i do intend on spreading out into B&N and other areas once the Select 90 days is up. Here in another week I'll be eligible to put it on sale. I'll make sure I report on how that works.

I'll give you my experience with B&N etc... through using Smashwords. I sold very very little on those other sites compared to Amazon. I self-published my first two science fiction novels on Amazon for Kindle back in August of 2011 and priced them at 99 cents a piece, which meant I got about 35 cents for each download. The first month, I made about $300 between the two of them. I didn't bother to enroll them in KDP Select because I had made them available for download via Lulu earlier so they weren't eligible. The first month I had them on B&N and Books a Million I made maybe $2. I think I've made under $100 from B&N the whole time they've been available there.
Also, the Nook is dying and with it the market for e-books through B&N IMHO.

writerliz

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your sales! I'm learning this process as well, and it's really helpful to read about your experience. I've heard that putting a book up for free isn't helpful unless you have more than one book, but your results are encouraging. I hope to keep reading about your progress!

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
I'll give you my experience with B&N etc... through using Smashwords. I sold very very little on those other sites compared to Amazon. I self-published my first two science fiction novels on Amazon for Kindle back in August of 2011 and priced them at 99 cents a piece, which meant I got about 35 cents for each download. The first month, I made about $300 between the two of them. I didn't bother to enroll them in KDP Select because I had made them available for download via Lulu earlier so they weren't eligible. The first month I had them on B&N and Books a Million I made maybe $2. I think I've made under $100 from B&N the whole time they've been available there.
Also, the Nook is dying and with it the market for e-books through B&N IMHO.

Good to know regarding B&N. That's kinda what I'd figured, but having on-the-ground experience is helpful. Amazon is definitely the core.

If I can ask--what did you find was the delay cycle for reviews coming in? That's one that really is up in the air and I don't know what to expect. We all want more reviews, but figuring out the time cycle and the percentage of total sales that post reviews would be good data (and obviously a very low percentage).

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats on your sales! I'm learning this process as well, and it's really helpful to read about your experience. I've heard that putting a book up for free isn't helpful unless you have more than one book, but your results are encouraging. I hope to keep reading about your progress!

I have never put a book up free other than the KDP Select which is only for Prime customers. Honestly, I've never had more than a handful of free DLs by Prime members for the couple that I have made available that way. At 99 cents, you can make a lot of money. I made a lot more money from those two 99 cent books than I have from the others I priced more.

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score

I think it definitely has a lot to do with genre--and (honestly) how good the book is. Few of those who download it for free will sit down and read it. Very few will read it right away. But I think if it is good, you can start building some word-of-mouth (and the always-helpful amazon 'purchase associations and suggestions'.. which are important when you're just starting in.

A lot of people with a full series out put the first book up for free, or a similar schema. I can totally see that being effective.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
wow!!! Congrats on the positive responses and awesome sales! I have been holding back on going select, but the more I hear the more I think I should at least give it a try.

I wish you continued success!!!!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Congrats, Sam, on your sales! I hope they continue. Thank you for sharing your story. I think it's really helpful for self-publishers to see how others are doing, what worked, etc.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Well done.

I recommend your next step is to start building a mailing list by including a "Want to know when book 2 becomes available? Join my mailing list." message in the back of your book and on your Web site.

Use a site like Mailchimp or similar to set up and manage a mailing list.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Congratulations! And welcome to the self-publishing roller coaster ride! :) You're starting off strong, which is awesome.

I have two self-published novels out, and my third is coming in August or September. I sell exclusively through Amazon. Am I losing sales by not branching out to B&N, Kobo and Smashwords? Possibly. However, I find that Amazon works well for me. I had some great success in April with a Kindle Countdown and free promotion that boosted my sales over 400%. (All the info is in my self-publishing diary thread) You'll find what works for you through trial and error, and reading about other people's experiences...which is why it's great that you started this thread. Now we can learn from you too! :)

Best of luck to you and I look forward to watching your journey!

RLMcKeown

The rambling bard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccamckeownwrites.com
I, too, am thinking of turning to Select. I haven't made many sales from B&N, Smashwords, etc, so I think I might put my current book on Select when I publish my new book just to see.

I do have friends with Nooks, which makes me not want to completely shun B&N, though.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
You’ve made a very good start. What you may find is that your sales trickle off over time for your first book. But every time you publish another book, that will generate interest in your earlier books. It takes time to build a readership, usually years. But if you have what it takes, you may become a juggernaut.

Or not, of course!

I should mention that ebooks are read not only on the physical devices for which they are formatted, but others. I read all Kindle and Nook books on my iPad mini Rd.

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
You’ve made a very good start. What you may find is that your sales trickle off over time for your first book. But every time you publish another book, that will generate interest in your earlier books.

I've definitely found this to be the case. Every time I publish another sequel, it increases not only sales of the previous book in the series but my other book that's not in the series as well.

I should mention that ebooks are read not only on the physical devices for which they are formatted, but others. I read all Kindle and Nook books on my iPad mini Rd.

Very good point. I have Kindle and Nook apps on my Nexus 7 tablet and my Samsung Galaxy S5 smart phone. Matter of fact, I do most of my e-book reading on my phone, as it's always with me. Very handy for when I'm sitting in a waiting room at the doctor or dentist's office or waiting for my kids.

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
Just checked my figures and thought I'd throw on a weekly update:

Last week I was at 58 total sales (13 print, 45 ebook), this week it's kept on going and I'm at 76 total sales (17 print, 59 ebook). I'm seeing more of a steady flow than I'd expected (I'd thought by week 3+ I'd be seeing a clear decline in sales).

Again/still, the only real advertising I've been doing has been Facebook ads (see first post for details). The FB ads have continued to draw clicks with a total of 85 clicks (cost per click at $0.37). Given the continued (somewhat steady) sales numbers I'm gathering that FB the FB ads are contributing...

Here's the math on the facebook ads:

Last week when I reported I had 45 clicks. Today I have 85. So, that's 40 clicks on Facebook in the last week---during which time I picked up 18 sales. 5 of those I'm reasonably confident I know the purchasers (specifically the 4 print editions).

So, that basically leaves 14 sales that I got in the last week that were a result of word of mouth, Amazon suggestions, or advertising (AKA facebook). If even half of those purchases were a result of my Facebook ads--I'm making money on the deal! Which is quite fantastic really.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Those are great results--I've heard of a few authors having good results with FB ads but never really considered them for my book.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience, Sam. I find it especially encouraging that you're getting sales from all over the world. That's great! There are a lot of potential readers out there.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
That's great news Sam. I'm especially interested in the Facebook ads. I wasn't planning to do that, but now I'm re-thinking it. That's why I love these diary threads...we can support and inspire one another!

Congrats on a good strong start!

ETA: Question...which option did you choose for your FB ad?
Page post engagement
Page likes
Clicks to website
website conversions
Offer claims

I'm guessing you would either have them go to a page specifically for you book, you as an author, or your website. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the great numbers! Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.