Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Someone glued razor blades to jungle gym.

In another, what the the fuck is wrong with people, entry, someone got the brilliant idea to glue razor blades onto a park's jungle gym. Sadly, they were found too late, as a little boy cut open his finger: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1734111
Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sick fucks.

ďI love words but I donít like strange ones. You donít understand them and they donít understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know Ďem the minute you see Ďem.Ē -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Glad the kid only had a small cut. Could have been a lot worse. And yet another sick bastard does something that will probably ruin things for a large number of people.

How long before people decide it's too risky to have playgrounds at public parks?

However, a small, probably unworthy thought has wormed its way into my mind. The overwhelming number of "poisoned candy" or "razor blade" apple incidents at Halloween turn out to be done by kids themselves seeking attention or very sick family members of the children in question, not random strangers trying to kill trick or treaters.

http://www.livescience.com/434-candy...-phantoms.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoned_candy_myths

I hope this doesn't turn out to be something someone did for attention. No reason to believe it is, but I have a nasty, suspicious mind.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Last edited by Roxxsmom; 03-26-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post
I hope this doesn't turn out to be something someone did for attention. No reason to believe it is, but I have a nasty, suspicious mind.
If it was for attention, I would imagine that there's be a video up on youtube or facebook with someone bragging about doing it.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
Monkey
Watching Bollywood action scenes.

Monkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
People do crazy, terrible things. But just because this happened one time in one place doesn't mean it's a trend. I wouldn't worry overmuch about it happening at a park near you.

Acoustic guitar. This is absolutely beautiful: https://lonneys.bandcamp.com/album/s...sis-in-spheres
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
robjvargas
Dust Bunnies are NSA Agents!

robjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
People do crazy, terrible things. But just because this happened one time in one place doesn't mean it's a trend. I wouldn't worry overmuch about it happening at a park near you.
I would.

But as I've said many times, I'm a paranoid S.O.B.

So it fits right in with the rest of me.
Social:
robjvargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

However, a small, probably unworthy thought has wormed its way into my mind. The overwhelming number of "poisoned candy" or "razor blade" apple incidents at Halloween turn out to be done by kids themselves seeking attention or very sick family members of the children in question, not random strangers trying to kill trick or treaters.

http://www.livescience.com/434-candy...-phantoms.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoned_candy_myths

"Overwhelming number" implies that this has happened a number of times. Everything I've seen suggests that it is exceedingly rare.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
DancingMaenid
New kid...seven years ago!

DancingMaenid has earned our admirationDancingMaenid has earned our admirationDancingMaenid has earned our admirationDancingMaenid has earned our admiration
I think I would worry more about finding disgusting stuff at playgrounds, like dog poop or used condoms, more than something planted with intentional malice. Stuff like this is horrifying, but pretty uncommon, I think.
DancingMaenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are 300 million people in the United States.

1 of them decided to put a razor blade on a playground set.

That's 0.00000033% of the population.

I'm officially not even slightly worried, not when we all ride in our DEATH BOXES every day to get to work. Yes, a razor planted on a playground implies deliberate malice, and car accidents are accidents. But still, incredibly rare malice isn't that big of a deal.

Not in my mind at least.

And if I were a parent...well, actually, I don't think I'd think to check playground equipment, because I'm a derp.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!

Last edited by Zoombie; 03-26-2014 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Math fix from Manuel Royal!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
"Overwhelming number" implies that this has happened a number of times. Everything I've seen suggests that it is exceedingly rare.
Yes, overwhelming number was a poor word choice on my part.

Razor blade candy incidents are quite rare to begin with, but nearly all cases have turned out to be family members of the children and not strangers who were passing out candy. Hasn't stopped it from making everyone paranoid about Halloween. Regardless, I just hope this case isn't the beginning of a new sicko trend.

I can't help thinking back to innocent times, before the cyanide in the Tylenol bottles resulted in everything having to be packaged with extra safety seals and layers of blister pack.

Not sure what could be done to prevent random crazies from booby trapping playground equipment, except removing the playground equipment completely. That would be a sad day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
There are 300 million people in the United States.

1 of them decided to put a razor blade on a playground set.

That's 0.00001% of the population.

I'm officially not even slightly worried, not when we all ride in our DEATH BOXES every day to get to work. Yes, a razor planted on a playground implies deliberate malice, and car accidents are accidents. But still, incredibly rare malice isn't that big of a deal.
A very rational way to look at it, and of course you're right. But for some reason, people seem to be wired up to worry about random psychotic strangers or really strange and rare accidents that might harm them or their kids, to the point where kids are not allowed anything like the freedom to explore their world that previous generations were, but we regard automobiles (which kill far more kids) to be an acceptable risk. Illusion of control may be part of it. We feel like we have at least some control over the outcome when we drive (never mind that a random bad driver could slam into us).

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Last edited by Roxxsmom; 03-26-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Not sure what could be done to prevent random crazies from booby trapping playground equipment, except removing the playground equipment completely.
Embedded, comprehensive surveillance systems paired with intelligent automation that can alert the authorities when the equipment is being tampered with.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #12
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Methinks the likely culprit(s) is (are) no more than 15 years old.

Regardless, they stlll need to be caught, and dealt with.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They found several more razor blades in the same park, but none in any of the city's other parks. Probably somebody who lives nearby.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
EarlyBird
Grinding it out

EarlyBird is a shiny, shiny jewelEarlyBird is a shiny, shiny jewel
It's beyond sick.

I can't say it would make me stop taking my children to the park, but you can bet that the next time we go I'll inspect the equipment before my kids get on it.

Three and a half novels to paper. More in the pipeline.
EarlyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #15
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Until the story spread all over the internet and more sick fucks see it and think "hey, that is AWESOME. Gotta get me some of that action."

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #16
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Barring a rainfall, those razor blades could still have some very clean fingerprints on them.

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrealana View Post
Until the story spread all over the internet and more sick fucks see it and think "hey, that is AWESOME. Gotta get me some of that action."
Copycatting sucks.

Copycatting sickness sucks even worse.

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #18
William Haskins
i'm down here for your soul
Absolute Sage

Location: murder takes the wheel of your cadillac and death climbs in the back
William Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
cry me a river.

try waking up one morning to shave only to find you're dragging a jungle gym across your face.

Thorn Forest: A Poem in Progress
Updated September 30, 2014

Listen to it here (also in progress)

PoisonPen.net
Online Poetry Archive

William Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #19
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

But for some reason, people seem to be wired up to worry about random psychotic strangers or really strange and rare accidents that might harm them or their kids, to the point where kids are not allowed anything like the freedom to explore their world that previous generations were, but we regard automobiles (which kill far more kids) to be an acceptable risk. Illusion of control may be part of it. We feel like we have at least some control over the outcome when we drive (never mind that a random bad driver could slam into us).
I think the reason is publicity. It's what we see and hear all the time. There are constant news stories of abducted kids, for instance. Now, it's true that only 1 in 1000 kids who was abducted or harmed was harmed by a stranger and not a family member, but people these days are so afraid of a stranger abducting their child that they don't let children play in the yard by themselves. The chances of children being involved in school shootings are exceptionally rare, in the one in millions range, and yet we hear enough about them that companies actually make (and sell) bullet proof backpacks, and mothers who show up at school when called are arrested.

We don't hear about the millions of children who played outside safely every day, or the millions who went to school without incident, or the millions of parents who showed up at school for legitimate reasons and didn't then try to murder everyone in sight.

And it's not just the news media. It's shows like Law and Order and it's incarnations, and NCIS, and CSI, etc. etc., that are constantly showing us bad things happening to people.

We're exposed to it now. When I was a kid, most people wouldn't have really known the word "psychopath." Now it's everyday vocabulary.

Awareness of these things is commonplace, and as we get more nationwide news we hear more of the rare cases, and it makes it seem like the risks have increased, whether they actually have or not.

For what it's worth, I complain constantly about the unsafe drivers (can we say three people running the red at ONE light yesterday while I was already in the intersection, the last of whom was reading a stack of papers while he was driving?) and the fact that people seem to be too selfish to not run red lights or put away the cell phones (I see so many texters driving beside me), etc. I dread Google Glass becoming commonplace and seriously consider moving to a place with good public transportation if it isn't outlawed while driving.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

Last edited by kaitie; 03-26-2014 at 05:59 PM.
kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #20
AncientEagle
Old kid, no need to be gentle.

AncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The same thing was done in a playground here in my community several years ago. For a time, there was great anxiety about a repeat, but it didn't happen. And in this case, a blade was spotted before anyone was hurt, and a quick inspection revealed the others. I can no longer recall if the culprit(s) were caught, but I believe they were.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #21
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
I think the reason is publicity. It's what we see and hear all the time. There are constant news stories of abducted kids, for instance. Now, it's true that only 1 in 1000 kids who was abducted or harmed was harmed by a stranger and not a family member, but people these days are so afraid of a stranger abducting their child that they don't let children play in the yard by themselves. The chances of children being involved in school shootings are exceptionally rare, in the one in millions range, and yet we hear enough about them that companies actually make (and sell) bullet proof backpacks, and mothers who show up at school when called are arrested.

We don't hear about the millions of children who played outside safely every day, or the millions who went to school without incident, or the millions of parents who showed up at school for legitimate reasons and didn't then try to murder everyone in sight.

And it's not just the news media. It's shows like Law and Order and it's incarnations, and NCIS, and CSI, etc. etc., that are constantly showing us bad things happening to people.

We're exposed to it now. When I was a kid, most people wouldn't have really known the word "psychopath." Now it's everyday vocabulary.

Awareness of these things is commonplace, and as we get more nationwide news we hear more of the rare cases, and it makes it seem like the risks have increased, whether they actually have or not.

For what it's worth, I complain constantly about the unsafe drivers (can we say three people running the red at ONE light yesterday while I was already in the intersection, the last of whom was reading a stack of papers while he was driving?) and the fact that people seem to be too selfish to not run red lights or put away the cell phones (I see so many texters driving beside me), etc. I dread Google Glass becoming commonplace and seriously consider moving to a place with good public transportation if it isn't outlawed while driving.
Without these stories, there would be no cries for "embedded, comprehensive surveillance systems paired with intelligent automation that can alert the authorities when the equipment is being tampered with," and a willingness to ignore the costs in taxation, bureaucracy and grant of power to those in authority that would be required to implement such a scheme.

In my younger days it was the "Evil Empire" about to reduce us all to radioactive dust; these days it's random acts of twisted individuals, and protection from those fears can justify almost any act of coercion.

Economics puts parameters on peopleís utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #22
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What assholes! What is wrong with some people?

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com
shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #23
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I really hate humans sometimes. Really.

I want to exit the world and join the universe.

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #24
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
cry me a river.

try waking up one morning to shave only to find you're dragging a jungle gym across your face.
damn you and your brilliance for perspective.

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #25
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Without these stories, there would be no cries for "embedded, comprehensive surveillance systems paired with intelligent automation that can alert the authorities when the equipment is being tampered with," and a willingness to ignore the costs in taxation, bureaucracy and grant of power to those in authority that would be required to implement such a scheme.
Hey, she asked for a solution that wasn't removing the equipment, I offered one.

There are three things to do.

1) Accept that sometimes sick freaks do sick, freaky things and deal

2) Attempt to remove the things that allow their sick, freaky things

3) Attempt to monitor and stop people before they do sick, freaky things.

With this incident, considering how rare it is and how comparatively little damage is done, I'd say the first answer is the best.

BUY MY BOOK HERE!