Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #326
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronempress View Post
How long would you advise waiting to hear from Michelle before inquiring? Most folks I know who get an agent seem to attract notice within days, not weeks. This leaves me wondering if she received my email or if she's just not interested....

Thanks for any suggestions!
I queried Ms. Brower back on November 17, didn't hear anything, and decided to follow up on February 4. Still haven't heard back, but assuming my first query didn't go through, I'm now at the bottom of the queue, so no big surprise.

www.kristavandolzer.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #327
ronempress
practical experience, FTW

ronempress is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input, Krista! Good luck. I hate this part of the process. Especially because it's distracting me from writing....
A Tribble Ate My Lunch: a Star Trek Cookbook
http://ronempress.blogspot.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/authorsofasiannovels
http://sites.google.com/site/glenandvictoriadixon/
ronempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #328
dgaughran
Banned

dgaughran is a glorious beacon of lightdgaughran is a glorious beacon of light
Hi,

Does anyone know current response time on partials from Paige Wheeler. It's only been a month and I don't want to nudge her just yet.
dgaughran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #329
sciri
Maxine Fan

sciri is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't nudge. My experience with her is that she tries hard to get back to people in a timely fashion. Hang in there!
sciri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #330
PastMidnight
Oponionated

PastMidnight has earned our admirationPastMidnight has earned our admirationPastMidnight has earned our admirationPastMidnight has earned our admiration
Dgaughran, she got back to me the same day, but it was with an R, so doesn't sound like she's a no responser.

PastMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:14 AM   #331
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I sent a query to Paige Wheeler before noticing she was closed to queries. After I received the email stating that, I fired one off to Michelle Brower since she allows pasted pages.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #332
ejwriter
lurk & learn

ejwriter is a glorious beacon of lightejwriter is a glorious beacon of light
queried michelle on 2/14.
polite form rejection yesterday (3/8)

ejwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 AM   #333
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
Anyone know how Ms. Brower responds to queries? Does she read in order? And does she hold on, or quickly respond, to the ones she likes?

I sent a query back on November 17 of last year, then followed up on February 4 of this year. Still waiting to hear back.

www.kristavandolzer.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #334
ronempress

Krista, when you find out, I'd like to know. I hate to bug her, but I had subbed to her when she was with Wendy Sherman and never got a response there either. That said, I'd like to hear from her as she commented during judging on Miss Snark that she was interested in my book with revisions.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #335
hoyateach
Dancing with limbo sticks

hoyateach is on a distinguished road
Here's my timeline for querying Scott Hoffman:

Query sent March 4, 2010
Request for 50 pages, 1-page synopsis, and brief bio, March 8, from his reader, Cicily Janus.
Request from Cicily for full MS, March 17
Word that she's kicking it up to Scott with her recommendation, April 4.

Interestingly, I had a very nice chat with her online the evening of April 4, which she initiated (we were logged into GMail at the same time), after receiving her email. She gave me some very nice feedback as well as word that she was spending the evening plowing through some 400 queries. Lonely work, this reading business.

I'll keep you all posted and to those of you querying and waiting, best of luck!
hoyateach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #336
Mr. Anonymous
Just a guy with a pen & a delusion

Mr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
oops @ doublepost

The Paradox of Vertical Flight- Greenwillow
TBA Novel - to be published by Greenwillow
BOOK LAUNCH!! & some thoughts

Last edited by Mr. Anonymous; 04-06-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Mr. Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #337
Mr. Anonymous
Just a guy with a pen & a delusion

Mr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr. Anonymous is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
sent my full ms to cicily this weekend. now I wait.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight- Greenwillow
TBA Novel - to be published by Greenwillow
BOOK LAUNCH!! & some thoughts
Mr. Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #338
xcomplex
Fantastic Fantasy!

xcomplex is on a distinguished road
I sent a query to Scott Hoffman on friday last easter weekend! I will update you guys about the reply and good luck to all of you as well. Keep your fingers crossed!

"Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder"
xcomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #339
senseiseth
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

senseiseth is on a distinguished road
I sent my query to Scott Hoffman this last friday, and I'm still waiting to hear back from him.

I hope it goes well.
senseiseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #340
senseiseth

Red face

Also, does anyone know if he has a preference towards dark historical fiction.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #341
xcomplex
Fantastic Fantasy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseiseth View Post
Also, does anyone know if he has a preference towards dark historical fiction.
good Luck to you! We sent it one the same day so we should get it back at around the same time. I can't wait lol. Anyways here is what I copied off the site...

What I'm looking for (and what I'm not looking for.)

My tastes are extremely eclectic; about the only types of projects I won't consider are series romance, cozy mysteries, or Westerns. My current list is about half fiction and half nonfiction. My fiction is about half literary, and half commercial (chick lit? Sure - if it's smart and fresh, and has a strong voice.) My nonfiction is spread out among serious journalistic or academic nonfiction, narrative nonfiction, and quirkier pop-culture books.
If your project doesn't fit one of the "established" categories, I'm probably your guy - I love projects that can't be easily classified.
I'm always on the lookout for:
  • Beautifully-written literary fiction, regardless of the subject;
  • Spiritual or religious-themed fiction and nonfiction (it doesn't matter what religion);
  • Books that can hook me on concept alone;
  • Dark, dark novels. The darker the better;
  • Any book about a time, place, or group of people that hasn't been extensively written about;
  • Political, historical, or science-based nonfiction, particularly from academics;
  • Excellent SF or Fantasy that crosses over into the world of literary fiction;
  • Heartbreaking memoirs;
  • Website or blog-based books;
  • Drop-dead funny nonfiction;
  • (I'll probably regret this, but...) First novels. There's nothing better than the feeling of telling an author you've just sold his or her first book.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #342
scope
Commonsensical Maverick

scope has earned our admirationscope has earned our admirationscope has earned our admirationscope has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boethius View Post
''...... For reasons beyond all of our control, this industry (it's not a "literary world") is overwhelmed and nuts. Treat your manuscript like a product and make that sale".
IMO that pretty well sums it up. Basically, the overwhelming portion of publishing really doesn't pivot on pure "literary work". Whether it's an agency or publisher they are in business to make a profit, as large a profit as they can. While I disagree with a number of their policies and ways of doing business, I certainly don't blame them for trying to make the most they can from a monetary investment they make. I would and I imagine most of you would. They are in a commercially oriented business and want and need product that appeals to the largest possible audience (of course they make some--but very few--exceptions). And what do the overwhelming majority of readers want to buy? Commercial works, not "literary" works.

There are still some places to try and sell literary works (e.g., certain magazines, university press'-though they too are producing less and less of same, some small publishing houses) but I agree that the premise of the publishing industry centers around commercially driven works. Knowing that, and if one agrees with same, I see three choices: 1) hop on the bandwagon and start writing commercial material. 2) continue to write literary works and at best expect minor results. 3) if none of the above write for your own pleasure. 4) self-publish,although I can only seethat bringing about disasterous results.
scope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #343
a. climacus

a. climacus is on a distinguished road
I completely agree that the industry centers around commercial work and that "literary" is getting more difficult to sell, but I don't think it's quite as dire as you make it sound. Sure, everyone is freaking out right now but good houses (FSG, Knopf, Scribner, and Little Brown) still publish plenty of literary fiction. It's not what pays the bills, but it's not going away either. As far as I know they're still giving out the Pulitzer and the National Book Award. The Paris Review just pulled Loren Stein away from FSG. It's a tough sell right now, no doubt, but the arts aren't dead.
a. climacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #344
ronempress

Krista, I just sent a status inquiry to Michelle Brower concerning my query from January 20th. Have you heard anything from her?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 AM   #345
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just got a rejection from Michelle a few minutes ago from an early March query + pages.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #346
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I remember resending one in Feb and I still haven't heard back. Maybe no response = no.

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
*Now available.*
Add on: Goodreads
Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Roly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:40 AM   #347
xcomplex
Fantastic Fantasy!

It hasn't been that long yet but does Scott Hofman reply to all the queries he gets?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #348
senseiseth

i certainly hope so, because i hate not knowing what's going on.

oh and good luck to youxcomplex, i hope everything goes well.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #349
xcomplex
Fantastic Fantasy!

Thanks senseiseth! You as well. I will post here when I will get a reply.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #350
ronempress

All ye who have waited on Michelle past 6 weeks, send her a status query. Use a different email if you don't get a response. She responded immediately yesterday and asked me to resend.