Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
GeorgeK
ever seeking

GeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sweaters at Goodwill are infested

with demons
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000009
quoth the prophet Pat Robertson
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That explains the pea soup stains on my tie.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
GeorgeK
ever seeking

GeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If Supernatural has taught us anything, it would be that ghosts, not demons are infesting the sweaters.

I'm not sure if I want Pat Robertson to shut up or just keep talking. He's starting to attain some entertainment value.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Goodwill Sweaters Could Have Demons, No Harm In Praying Over Them"
Well, I agree with the second part of that statement at least.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's why those jeans that claimed to be "skinny" made me look fat when I got them home!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Ketzel
Leaving on the 2:19

Ketzel has earned our admirationKetzel has earned our admirationKetzel has earned our admirationKetzel has earned our admiration
And now I know where to donate that box from my late eccentric aunt's basement - the one that seems to be in a different place every time I go down the squeaky wooden stairs with the one bare lightbulb swinging overhead . . .
Ketzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When Pat Robertson reads a Harry Potter book, does he think it's a true story?

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
GeorgeK
ever seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post
When Pat Robertson reads a Harry Potter book, does he think it's a true story?
I doubt that he'd read one, probably thinking it having been written by a demon.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Cella
I love that you know how to do that

Cella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Better safe than sorry. Always go with the new item handcrafted by a child in a sweatshop somewhere...
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Kerry Ann
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Kerry Ann is on a distinguished road
So if I write while wearing all Goodwill clothes, is it really ME writing or are my fingers possessed?

And is there a different breed of supe for Salvation Army attire? (Most of my thrifting treasures are plucked from their racks.)
Kerry Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*burns my SAAN shirts just in case*
Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Aw shoot, and all this time I was washing them in regular water before wearing them. Now how the hell am I going to plumb holy water to my washer?

Resingled Querying!
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
GeorgeK
ever seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Ann View Post
So if I write while wearing all Goodwill clothes, is it really ME writing or are my fingers possessed?
I heard from somewhere in my sweater drawer that an ex-Google lawyer was starting a copywrite lawsuit against some prominent writers over this
Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Although I have seen some pretty demonic sweaters at Goodwill...
Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pat is so entertaining. I still wonder if he was just joking.

Leaving aside the demon idea, being more careful about thrift store stuff is a good thing.

I was a recessionista before the recession. I find amazing things at thrift stores. But I keep all thrift store clothing in tight plastic bags when I bring it home, and treat everything before I bring it in from the garage. Hot water wash and high-heat tumble dry for the items that can tolerate it. Kill-boxes primed with ammonia pads or other toxins that won't harm the materials, but will kill anything living in the fibers. Minimum quarantines for all items, just to monitor them. Strict cleaning afterward to remove any poisons.

Why? I've worked at several thrift stores. I won't scare you with the things I've found in clothing and household items. While most of the big chains prefer that items are cleaned or laundered before donation, it doesn't always happen. Most items go to large processing centers where they are loaded into big crates and bales before being shipped to individual stores. Infestation from one item can quickly spread to others. Smaller local stores may claim to throw out or donate anything that isn't laundered, but it often sits in a back storage room until the donation or trash truck arrives.

So listen to Uncle Pat, just substitute 'critter' for 'demon', and reach for the ammonia instead of the Bible.

Disabusing trolls in three, two, one...
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputation
Better yet, can I PUT demons in the things I donate? I'm sure there are some around my house going spare. I could stick them in the old clothes and books before I drop them off.

That would be an AWESOME public service.

Are donated demons tax deductible?

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Demons would never posses shirts.

That kind of long term thinking and planning isn't in their alignment (chaotic evil).

This is a devil sort of thing. Those guys would be just the sort to play the long game, as they are lawful evil...

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
...I find amazing things at thrift stores. But I keep all thrift store clothing in tight plastic bags when I bring it home, and treat everything before I bring it in from the garage. Hot water wash and high-heat tumble dry for the items that can tolerate it. Kill-boxes primed with ammonia pads or other toxins that won't harm the materials, but will kill anything living in the fibers. Minimum quarantines for all items, just to monitor them. Strict cleaning afterward to remove any poisons...
Sorry for the derail, but as a devout thrift store shopper (who does hot wash and dry washables which can take it), can you give us specifics about the kill box and ammonia pads? Are they just old towels soaked in ammonia? How many in a good-sized Rubbermaid tub? How do you keep the wet ammonia off the contents to let the fumes do their stuff?

Maryn, eying her closet with fresh distrust
Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
Sorry for the derail, but as a devout thrift store shopper (who does hot wash and dry washables which can take it), can you give us specifics about the kill box and ammonia pads? Are they just old towels soaked in ammonia? How many in a good-sized Rubbermaid tub? How do you keep the wet ammonia off the contents to let the fumes do their stuff?

Maryn, eying her closet with fresh distrust
...and what do you do with the demons once you've killed them?

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
cryaegm
Snakecakes

cryaegm is a shiny, shiny jewelcryaegm is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Eat them.

(I really had nothing to add. It was just the first thing that popped up in my head.)

If there are demons in sweaters at Goodwill, maybe I should go buy some and ask them their experiences as demons so I can write an authentic one in my stories.

cryaegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #21
regdog
Kreon Starscream
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
E-bay or craig's list

My Blog-Updated on 7/18/14 Food Allergies

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #22
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Enjoy the XP! Even the lowest CR demon gives 600 XP!

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #23
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Won't putting the clothes in the freezer for 48 hours do the job too?

The son of a friend of mine played the part of a Wise Man in his junior school's Christmas concert and started itching soon after. It turned out the Church's costumes were infested with scabies mites. I think I'd prefer a demon or two.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #24
Cavalcade
Sockpuppet

Cavalcade is on a distinguished road
Possessions take on the energy/aura of their owner. The sensitive can feel this immediately. For this reason, I've always avoided buying anything used.

Last edited by Cavalcade; 02-28-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #25
Mharvey
Gets Drunk With Economical Speed

Mharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryaegm View Post
Eat them.

(I really had nothing to add. It was just the first thing that popped up in my head.)

If there are demons in sweaters at Goodwill, maybe I should go buy some and ask them their experiences as demons so I can write an authentic one in my stories.
That kinda talk earns you one exorcism.

It is the Power Of Haggis that Binds you.

It is Maryn's everchanging sig that Commands you.

It is McAllister's 9 inch stilleto heels that Compels you.