Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
timtimmerson
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

timtimmerson is on a distinguished road
Publish excerpts before book is published?

What about publishing a excerpt/adaptation of less than a full chapter of a nonfiction book on an online magazine, something along the lines of Slate, Salon or similar?

Will future prospective publishers be bothered because it has run (and possibly impacting some portion of "first serial" rights?) or will they be glad you have some sort of "platform" and publicity out there for the book?
timtimmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
gettingby
practical experience, FTW

gettingby is a glorious beacon of lightgettingby is a glorious beacon of light
I think people usually try and publish excerpts right before the book comes out to generate some buzz over the book. Since you don't yet have a publisher or a release date, it might be premature to try and publish and excerpt.
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Becky Black
Writing my way off the B Ark

Becky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of light
Too soon. Excerpts are useful - well I find them useful as a reader - but they need to be closer to release date. Preferably when the book is available to pre-order. If it's not going to come out for many months the chances of people remembering to follow up on it are slim.

How about instead of an excerpt you write an article (or more than one, for different places) on the same subject, exploring more briefly some of the ideas you'll be expanding on in the book? If you can get that accepted I would think that would be a better writing credit when you're querying the book.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you don't even have a publisher yet I would suggest not muddying the waters. Published related pieces, but not excerpts.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
timtimmerson
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

timtimmerson is on a distinguished road
Good advice. it's tough because I have hashed out so much of what i want to say. It's hard to find a new angle. I'll work on it.
timtimmerson is offline   Reply With Quote