Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Horror
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Arislan
figuring it all out

Arislan is on a distinguished road
Stupid problem regarding vampire.

So I wrote the first chapter on my WIP from the perspective of a 200 year old Dutch vampire with a somewhat quirky grasp of the English language. Now I'm told by friends that it's a really bad idea, that this is why Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot was never the narrator in her stories. Because anyone reading his quirky manner of speech will think that is my manner of writing and reject the MS.

I posted the first three sentences on a different thread and it got called awkward. I'm wondering if I should scrap the idea of using his voice as the narration. I also posted the first chapter on SYW but got no bites. This is the link:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264222

I did some research into how people used to write way back and his strange grammar seems to fit. When you write vampires who have been out of circulation for a couple centuries, do you just update their manner of speech to conform to modern expectations? I felt that I was adding to the character's appeal by adding to the characterization but it's looking more and more like a mistake. :-/

I'd love to hear from y'all on this.
Arislan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Slow down, Ari. You've been a member here only three days now. Take some time to learn the site and participate in meaningful discussions before asking for help.

It's also considered bad form to start threads, such as you've done here, that include links to other discussions you've created as a form of advertisement, so please try to avoid that by all means in the future.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Arislan
figuring it all out

Actually one of the other mods mentioned something somewhere about linking to the SYW forum instead of reposting parts of the WIP so that is why I did it. Thanks for the heads up, I'll avoid doing this again. I've been reading so many discussions. I ended up not finding my answer so I posted my question in here.

I guess it's not vital that they read my WIP excerpt, I just would like to know the answer to the main question.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One thing you might consider is the Horror Hounds Weekend Report. It's an existing thread for horror writers to check in every Monday/Tuesday with updates on their weekly progress. SYW links are welcomed and encouraged there.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Arislan
figuring it all out

Hi Rhoda, thanks for letting me know, I'll check out the thread.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
quicklime
-

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
well, they might not decide you are an incompetent writer, but they may still decide the work is too eye-bleedingly painful to read. There has been some discussion, and I'm inclined to agree with the theory that Twain could never write Huck Finn now, as a nobody, with the dialogue he had, and not because of the use of the n-word, but because it was too damn awkward to read. If your vampire comes off that way, readers may know you did it for effect, but still decide there is no way they want to wade through 400 pages of it.

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
JulianneQJohnson
has no socks

JulianneQJohnson is a splendid one to beholdJulianneQJohnson is a splendid one to beholdJulianneQJohnson is a splendid one to behold
I have to agree with Quicklime. Think of it this way, you'er browsing in your local bookshop, you see a cover that strikes your fancy, and you flip to the first page to see if you like it. If the language is awkward, no matter how valid the reason, most folks are going to shelve that book and look at one of it's neighbors.

Pictures and Words- my writing blog

Or join me on Tumblr

JulianneQJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
Arislan
figuring it all out

Yeah, Mark Twain wrote stuff like “You wants to keep 'way fum de water as much as you kin, en don't run no resk, 'kase it's down in de bills dat you's gwyne to git hung.” Not easy to go through.

I was more concerned with voice though.

Thanks.

"Hunchback publishing is when your name is Victor Hugo. Humpback publishing is when you tattoo your novel on the back of a whale." Kitty E. Leyson
Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
quicklime
-

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arislan View Post
Yeah, Mark Twain wrote stuff like “You wants to keep 'way fum de water as much as you kin, en don't run no resk, 'kase it's down in de bills dat you's gwyne to git hung.” Not easy to go through.

I was more concerned with voice though.

Thanks.

Well, that WAS voice. and the problem was that voice buried the characters, at least by today's standards. Which seems to be the general crit you got on SYW.

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote