Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Smiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputation
A One-Person F/SF Blog

What would you want to see in it?
What content would keep you coming back?

And Read The Blog!
Smiling Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
acockey
Bronies, Bronies Everywhere

acockey has a spectacular aura
I personally like the Sword and Laser podcast.. so that in blog would probably keep me coming back...book reviews, news on authors, etc.. Good luck on that!

Current WIP: V 33000/50,0000 (Alive Again Yay!!!)

New WIP: Phase-Washed Jeans: 5,000/ 80,000 (Once more into the breach of fantasy)

Check me out over at EliteCosplay.com... handle HandyAnimeAndy
acockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Bec de Corbin
figuring it all out

Bec de Corbin is on a distinguished road
Mixing reviews of classic works with updates on new releases. I love hppodcraft's style, if that's any help.
Bec de Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
Dryad
practical experience, FTW

Dryad is on a distinguished road
I asked myself the same questions when I made my blog. I can't say if I found the magic balance, but I built my blog on the questions you're asking. I do book reviews of old and new stuff. I write about myth, folktale, fairy tale, and science. I stay on top of updating, but I don't have a rigid schedule. I don't write about writing because I'm aiming the blog at SF/F readers.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Who's your audience? Other writers or readers?
Liosse de Velishaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Smiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liosse de Velishaf View Post
Who's your audience? Other writers or readers?
Let's say, anyone who would buy a Terry Pratchett novel.

And Read The Blog!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Thanks for your input, everyone.

And Read The Blog!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Maria S

Maria S is on a distinguished road
I'm bored of the book review blogs. It is so overdone. I'd like to see blogs that focus on SFF in an interesting and unique way. I do try this with my own blog, especially since I could find only two others like it (and the two others were websites, not blogs).

Make it fun, put your voice out there and please don't tell us what you ate for breakfast! (Obviously kidding about the last part) I really am interested in unique perspectives on the genre.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria S View Post
I'm bored of the book review blogs. It is so overdone. I'd like to see blogs that focus on SFF in an interesting and unique way. I do try this with my own blog, especially since I could find only two others like it (and the two others were websites, not blogs).

Make it fun, put your voice out there and please don't tell us what you ate for breakfast! (Obviously kidding about the last part) I really am interested in unique perspectives on the genre.

how are you defining a "unique perspective on the genre"?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Weirdmage

Weirdmage is well-respected
Unless you are aiming for a large audience, just write a blog you would like to read yourself. If your goal is to get a large audience, then you had best forget about it, there's no way to guarrantee a large audience.
What keeps me coming back to a blog is if I like the content, that goes for most people. But everyone has different likes, so there's no RIGHT content to make that happen.

My advice is to just be yourself. Good luck with blogging!
Weirdmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
frimble3
Heckuva good sport

frimble3 has a double-platinum reputationfrimble3 has a double-platinum reputationfrimble3 has a double-platinum reputationfrimble3 has a double-platinum reputationfrimble3 has a double-platinum reputationfrimble3 has a double-platinum reputationfrimble3 has a double-platinum reputation
Do you know 'Limyaael's Fantasy Rants'? I'd love to see someone discuss science fiction tropes that way. Interesting for both readers and writers.

Last edited by frimble3; 02-27-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: If someone has done this, please, point them out to me!
frimble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
Maria S

Maria S is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liosse de Velishaf View Post
how are you defining a "unique perspective on the genre"?
Basically, ones personal perspective. I was just stressing the importance of a perspective verses reviewing a book.

There are so many fantasy book/film reviewers out there. I'd love a list of blogs discussing the genre. I've found a few websites like this, but the only fantasy genre blogs I've found are inactive.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria S View Post
Basically, ones personal perspective. I was just stressing the importance of a perspective verses reviewing a book.

There are so many fantasy book/film reviewers out there. I'd love a list of blogs discussing the genre. I've found a few websites like this, but the only fantasy genre blogs I've found are inactive.

I can think of lots of blogs like that, including my own.