Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
rosehips
Mr. Boo is watching you.

rosehips has a spectacular aura
communicating in a 1920s-1930s plane

Hi all,
I'm writing a decopunk fantasy novel and I'm basing a plane in it on the SEV-3, mainly because it looks cool. I am ignorant of how these planes work, but luckily, I've been able to read a bit about them online. I do have a question I can't seem to find an answer for, however. The SEV-3 has two tandem cockpits, one forward one for the pilot and one behind for two passengers. Can the pilot communicate with the passengers while they are in the air? If so, how?

If not, what could I alter in the design to allow for communication? This is a fantasy novel, after all, so there's leeway.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Twitter
Amazon
B&N

The City Darkens
rosehips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
WriteKnight
Arranger Of Disorder

WriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admiration
Don't know the specifics of that particular aircraft - but typically pilot and other aircrew of that era communicated over an intercom system. Basically a 'telephone' connection wired between cockpits. Might have headphones and hand mics, might have 'speakers' too.
WriteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
alleycat
Grrrrrr. Did I scare you?
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You might want to check out North to the Orient by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. They used a similar plane.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Trebor1415
practical experience, FTW

Trebor1415 has a spectacular auraTrebor1415 has a spectacular aura
You can go either way depending on the needs of the story.

If you want them to be able to communicate have the pilot have a radio headset with a switch for internal intercom. Then either have the passengers also wear headsets or have an intercom built into the bulkhead. The pilot would control the intercom by selecting either the radio, to call outside the plane, or intercom for internal communication. If the setting is "radio" the passengers wouldn't be able to broadcast or contact the pilot until and unless he switches the setting back to "intercom."

They may also have a simple, non powered, speaking tube system. That would be a bit primitive for the time, but is a possibility.

Btw, none of this is specific to the particular plane you mentioned. It's just based on the tech available at the time and general knowledge.
Trebor1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #5
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The passengers also wore head sets so they could communicate with the pilot. The rear seats were not side by side but one behind the other. There is a bulkhead between the pilot and the passenger compartment. Entry to the passenger compartment was via the canopy, just like the pilot.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote