Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Kittens Starburst
practical experience, FTW

Kittens Starburst is on a distinguished road
Neither is, neither are

I have a character talking to two people, and he says, 'Quite frankly, neither of you is ready to hear.'

My grammar checker thinks it should be 'are ready'. It's wrong, right?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You just decided to leave a word out - as you are perfectly free to do. And dialogue is priviledged content, so the speaker can say whatever he wishes in whatever manner his character would say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittens Starburst View Post
I have a character talking to two people, and he says, 'Quite frankly, neither [one] of you is ready to hear.'

Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Corussa
I fight like a dairy farmer

Corussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of light
As Bufty says, you're just omitting the word 'one' so I would use 'is' - i.e. 'neither one... is ready'.

Darn grammar checkers, always trying to tell us humans what is and isn't right.

The Wrecklings (Corussa 1) - 92k, draft #137ish
The Retosphere (Corussa 2) - 51K, first (short) draft still gathering dust
The Insert-Title-Here (Corussa 3) - Will be written once Wrecklings and Retosphere are done and dusted!
The Crown Capassia (Corussa 4) - Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha
Corussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
MaxWriter
Bring it on, I can take it...

MaxWriter is on a distinguished road
"Is" sounds wrong to my ear.

You are not ready to hear this. Neither of you are ready to hear.
MaxWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Chase
H-A-N-D-Y man

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWriter View Post
"Is" sounds wrong to my ear.

You are not ready to hear this. Neither of you are ready to hear.
You are not ready to hear this is correct.

Neither of you are ready to hear may sound correct when the ear regards "you" as the subject when it's really the object of the preposition.

"Neither" is singular, so "is" is correct.

However, as plural antecedents referring to singular nouns become more and more popular, the mixing of all plurals and singulars tends to blur the lines between old school correct and what's accepted by publishers and readers.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
Kittens Starburst

Kittens Starburst is on a distinguished road
Thank you!

Evil grammar checker.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
JimHeskett
Writers gon write.

JimHeskett is well-respected
but, it's dialogue, so does that particular character need to speak technically correctl?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHeskett View Post
but, it's dialogue, so does that particular character need to speak technically correctl?
Usually, no, but a character who uses language like this is almost certainly going to get it right.

A different character might say, "Ain't neither of you ready to hear", but this language strikes me as to well refined for the character to get it wrong.

Dialogue must be true to character. Something this means wrong is perfect, but at other times, when the character is one who knows and uses proper grammar, only perfect is perfect.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittens Starburst View Post
I have a character talking to two people, and he says, 'Quite frankly, neither of you is ready to hear.'

Well, "of you" is the prepositional phrase. Take at the prepositional phrase and it's "neither is/are ready to hear." Finally, neither (one) (of you) is ready to hear.

Spell check is incorrect.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHeskett View Post
So true.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
Summerwriter

Summerwriter is on a distinguished road
Aw! Susan, I just have to say 'thank you'. English grammar is something I think I never learn to understand. I barely know in which order to write the ordinary words. English grammar sure makes my head spin at times.

If you want to read what I have written, you can read it here:
http://lucindalynxwrites.blogspot.com
Summerwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #12
King Neptune
God of the Oceans

King Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admiration
Grammar checkers are wrong more often than they are right, and it was wrong this time.
King Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote