Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
simonalexander2005
Reflectric

simonalexander2005 is on a distinguished road
Clues to a great story - TED

Hey, so I just watched this TED talk on "the clues to a great story" - if you're interested, it's here:

http://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_stan...eat_story.html

(is it possible to embed videos? I don't know.)
Old 02-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
ishtar'sgate
living in the past

ishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for President
Loved that. The talk was by Andrew Stanton and he showed clips from his movie , "John Carter" as well as clips from "WALL-E", "Toy Story", "Lawrence of Arabia", "Bambi" and "Finding Nemo".

Some of the points he made that resonated with me -

Make me care

First scenes should be a well-told promise like a pebble being pulled back in a slingshot and propelled forward to the end

We are born problem solvers and readers like a well-organized absence of information

Well drawn characters have a spine - an inner motive, an itch they can't scratch that drives all their choices

Drama is anticipation mixed with uncertainty

A strong theme is always running through a well told story

The best stories infuse wonder

Capture a truth from your own experiences

most-viewed blog post:
Unicorn Droppings, a Short Story
ishtar'sgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I transcribed that entire talk so I would have a copy for myself. It was a fabulous talk and said some things that I really needed to hear at the time.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

I've been trying to say exactly what he has assembled. I'm taking notes.

People! Watch this!

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #5
aixsponsa
This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour

aixsponsa is well-respected
Thanks for sharing!
aixsponsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks very much for posting this, simonalexander2005!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearilou View Post
I transcribed that entire talk so I would have a copy for myself.
This might be the process you followed, but just in case it wasn't and this might be useful in the future: below a lot of TED talks is a drop-down menu saying "Show transcript". You can click on it, select the language you want, and it will display the transcript for you.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
This might be the process you followed, but just in case it wasn't and this might be useful in the future: below a lot of TED talks is a drop-down menu saying "Show transcript". You can click on it, select the language you want, and it will display the transcript for you.

I'll know for next time!
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
simonalexander2005
Reflectric

simonalexander2005 is on a distinguished road
There's loads of other good stuff on TED too - well worth exploring