Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Nonfiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Bookewyrme
Imagined half of it.

Bookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Searching for a specific book.

I find myself in need of advice so naturally I turn to you, oh wise AW-dwellers.

Basically, to make a long story short, I'm searching for a book for research (both for my fiction and nonfiction). I had thought I'd found a place to buy it new, but they recently informed me (after 7 months of inadequate & incorrect communications ) that the book is out of print with the publisher. I have no issues with buying a used copy, but I do object to the $300-$500 the two sellers on Amazon are asking for it (new it only cost $70).

The book itself is Who’s Who at Deir El-Medina: A Prosopographic Study of the Royal Workmen’s Community by Benedict G. Davies. It was a PhD dissertation, published later by the Dutch Institute of the Near East.
I'm pondering attempting to contact the author to see if he has copies available for sale, but I would like to explore other options first.

Any suggestions for where to search for used academic books? Leads? Sympathy?
Really, anything will be appreciated.
Bookewyrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
alleycat
"Do we need tuna?"
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Maybe do a Google search.

I found some copies listed, such as: http://www.dovebook.com/bookdesc.asp?BookID=31401 ($72)

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Bookewyrme
Imagined half of it.

Bookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ooh, thanks Alleycat. I did do a google-books search for it (several times) which is how I found the Incompetent Company, but that one didn't come up for me.

I think, given my previous experience, I'll call them and make sure they can actually provide what they're advertising though.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Find the school where he did his Ph.D.; then try interlibrary loan, even contacting the Interlibrary loan department there and providing information about you, and your libraries.

Also try Dissertation Abstracts International/University Microfilms/Whatever the current company is called now.

Most dissertations can be bought for about 40.00 U.S. for a hardcopy that's poorly photocopied.

Try world cat to find other libraries that have a copy.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Bookewyrme
Imagined half of it.

Thanks Medi. I think I can get a copy through ILL, which is not optimal long-term, but will be helpful short-term. Just wish I'd thought of it months ago. Then again, I thought my very own copy was going to be arriving so...bah.
Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions.