Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Short Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
Dasence
figuring it all out

Dasence is on a distinguished road
Payment Question

A few months ago one of my shorts was accepted into my first paying anthology. The contract says that payment would be sent before publication and the antho came out about a week ago. Should I email the editor? How long do you suppose I should wait?

I really do know this is a stupid question...part of me thinks "you know what? The contract says before. Ask him about it now." Another part says "shut up and stop being so anxious. I'm sure it'll be in the mailbox tomorrow."

Any thoughts out there?
Dasence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Old Hack
Catching up with the news
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Email and ask. If the contract says you should have been paid by now, then there's obviously a problem.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I agree with Old Hack.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ask. There's an old saying about the three ways magazines and anthologies pay. Some pay on acceptance, some on publication, and some on lawsuit.

Whoever came up with that should have added "on nagging". If you don't ask, some will delay payment for as long as possible.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Lady MacBeth
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.

Lady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLady MacBeth is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I agree with the others. Email and ask.
Lady MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
MatthewWuertz
practical experience, FTW

MatthewWuertz is on a distinguished road
I'd ask, given what the contract indicates. Maybe it was sent to the wrong address or some other mistake happened. As long as you're polite, the editor shouldn't mind the enquiry.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
MJNL
A Little Lost

MJNL is a glorious beacon of lightMJNL is a glorious beacon of lightMJNL is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, contact them imediately. If your paycheck from work was late you'd contact someone right away, right? This is a professional arrangement like any other.

Recent Publications:

Imma Gonna Finish You Off, Galaxy's Edge #6
Elsa's Spheres, InterGalactic Medicine Show #37
Dateline: Sesen, Star Citizen Spectrum Dispatch

Blog *Twitter* Art * AV
MJNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
astonwest
2 WIP? A glutton for punishment

astonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I agree with the others. Contact them, be polite and professional, but expect them to abide by their contract.

Big Daddy West
Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.
astonwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Mark W.
practical experience, FTW

Mark W. is on a distinguished road
If they maliciously deny payment, you could always spread the word on AW's Bewares board. I doubt the amount of money for an anthology would be worth a court case, they know that too, and so to spread the warning might be your only recourse if they refuse payment.

Urban Fantasy? Excalibur

Night Walker published by PillHill Press in How the West was Wicked
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
u.v.ray
greatest writer of his generation

u.v.ray is on a distinguished road
As has already been said, email an enquiry.

But is the publication a well-known reputable one? (or one that you have checked out.) It's not unusual for writers to not get their money, happens quite frequently - for various reasons - one of which is plain, old getting ripped off.

If it's a short story or something similar payment is usually upon accpetance, or upon publication. In such cases I have received payment as posited.

In other cases, yes, I've been ripped off and received nothing, despite enquiries.

I've even had short pieces printed without my permission altogether. We are talking here about small payments that aren't worth persuing legally - it's a matter of principle and hugely irksome.

"We Are Glass is a bruising encounter yet it flickers with compassion and is the best short story collection Iíve read since Dan Fanteís Corksucker back in 2005" -- Mark Raison.

http://www.uvray.moonfruit.com
u.v.ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've never had a magazine not pay me, but I have had to send an invoice at times. Very often, the editor has nothing to do with payment. He just passes word along to the right department or person, and sometimes there's a screw up. Sending an invoice to accounting often clears things up immediately. If the editor is responsible, the invoice will go to him, and he'll usually take care of it.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
August Talok
Nerd Out With Me

August Talok is on a distinguished road
Email them. Don't wait..

My Website:

Nerd Out With Me
August Talok is offline   Reply With Quote