Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Maxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
UK: Same sex marriage passed House of Commons

The measure passed 400-175, which is a sizeable majority for the measure. About half of the Tories voted for the measure, and half voted against it.

The bill still needs to pass through the anacronistic and undemocratic House of Lords, but some say that with this kind of majority there won't be that much of an issue. Or there may be. I don't know. Trying to predict the Lords is like trying to predict tea-leaves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220
Quote:
MPs have approved same-sex marriage in England and Wales in a key Commons vote, despite the opposition of almost half the Conservative MPs.

The Commons voted in favour of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, by 400 to 175, a majority of 225, at the end of a full day's debate on the bill.

Prime Minister David Cameron has described the move as "an important step forward" that strengthens society.

Early voting lists show that 136 Conservatives opposed the bill.
The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Barnes
"Yes, of course we were pretentious what else is youth for?"
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Maxinquaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
RichardGarfinkle
I was dead, to begin with
AW Moderator

RichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hurrah. And here's hoping the Lords let this one pass.

Overdue Considerations -- my blog

Now on Smashwords
RichardGarfinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
K.L. Bennett
A floopy flolloper

K.L. Bennett has earned our admirationK.L. Bennett has earned our admirationK.L. Bennett has earned our admirationK.L. Bennett has earned our admiration
Good stuff! The more this happens internationally, the more obvious it will be to those still clinging to their "American values" over here how out of touch they really are. Well, I hope, anyway...
K.L. Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
Great news. Hopefully it'll pass through the Lords as well.

Should never have taken this long in the first place but hopefully this will be the first in many other places granting it too.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hurrah!

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #6
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hip, hip, hooray!

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxinquaye View Post
The bill still needs to pass through the anacronistic and undemocratic House of Lords, but some say that with this kind of majority there won't be that much of an issue. Or there may be. I don't know. Trying to predict the Lords is like trying to predict tea-leaves.
The Lords -- even supposing a majority are against it, which is questionable -- won't vote down a bill with the support of all mainstream parties and a 400-175 majority, as they would likely be slitting their own throats. And if they did, the Commons would probably invoke the Parliament Act (1949), which would mean the bill becoming law after a delay of one year.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
frimble3
Heckuva good sport

frimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priene View Post
The Lords -- even supposing a majority are against it, which is questionable -- won't vote down a bill with the support of all mainstream parties and a 400-175 majority, as they would likely be slitting their own throats. And if they did, the Commons would probably invoke the Parliament Act (1949), which would mean the bill becoming law after a delay of one year.
Conveniently, it apparently takes about a year to plan a big fancy wedding.
frimble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A concern would be if Cameron decides it's too much hassle and the fight would take up too much Parliamentary time. He could get the Bill withdrawn. In fact, I think that's quite likely. Number of liberal social bills passed by Tory governments over the years = not very many.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hmm... I don't know. I think he might go with this one as it's pretty popular with the public and he doesn't have to spend any money. So he looks good all round
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priene View Post
A concern would be if Cameron decides it's too much hassle and the fight would take up too much Parliamentary time. He could get the Bill withdrawn. In fact, I think that's quite likely. Number of liberal social bills passed by Tory governments over the years = not very many.
I don't think he'll do that; it would make him look weak. (He is weak, but he hates to look it.)
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... great news. But I have to say, it makes me a bit ashamed of my own country.
Why aren't we doing something like this here in the USA?
Makes the country feel like a throwback from the stone age era.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
regdog
Kreon Barricade
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Will I get in trouble if I post a very relevant Jesus and Mo comic here?

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Also relevant - the Guardian has a full list of how every MP voted. Mine was against. Might be arsed to go and vote against him next chance I get now...

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
Old 02-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's great news!

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
Priene
Out to lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB27 View Post
Also relevant - the Guardian has a full list of how every MP voted. Mine was against. Might be arsed to go and vote against him next chance I get now...
Mine was against. Unfortunately I'm already unable to lower my opinion of him. Or change my vote. Maybe I should diss him on Twitter or something.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Mine was against, too. But then I already knew he was a twat.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
firedrake
practical experience, FTW

firedrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mine abstained. I'd like to know why. As she's having a constituency evening in a month's time, I'm inclined to go along and ask her.
firedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mine was for. Which is good.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So...can someone explain why it's a UK governmental body making this vote, but it only affects people in England and Wales? I tried to look it up but I didn't really succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
... great news. But I have to say, it makes me a bit ashamed of my own country.
Why aren't we doing something like this here in the USA?
Makes the country feel like a throwback from the stone age era.
UK has had civil unions for same-sex couples since 2004. Feel worse?
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Maxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
So...can someone explain why it's a UK governmental body making this vote, but it only affects people in England and Wales? I tried to look it up but I didn't really succeed.

UK has had civil unions for same-sex couples since 2004. Feel worse?
Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own devolved parliaments that handle this issue. Scotland will have same sex marriage probably at about the same time. Northern Ireland will probably take another decade to get it.

The powers over the issue are devolved to these other local parliaments, and the Westminster Parliament could - on this issue - be seen as another local parliament for England and Wales.

To even FURTHER confuse the issue, because the English do like their odd procedures and administrative orders (which is another thing to like about them), there is a local parliament in Wales. However, that local parliament has different devolved powers than the local parliament in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Quote:
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxinquaye View Post
Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own devolved parliaments that handle this issue. Scotland will have same sex marriage probably at about the same time. Northern Ireland will probably take another decade to get it.

The powers over the issue are devolved to these other local parliaments, and the Westminster Parliament could - on this issue - be seen as another local parliament for England and Wales.

To even FURTHER confuse the issue, because the English do like their odd procedures and administrative orders (which is another thing to like about them), there is a local parliament in Wales. However, that local parliament has different devolved powers than the local parliament in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
So, does the UK Parliament have elected officials from Scotland and N.I. in it? And is this like in the US how some things are for state govt to decide, and others are for national govt to decide? You're right, this is confusing.
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
So, does the UK Parliament have elected officials from Scotland and N.I. in it? And is this like in the US how some things are for state govt to decide, and others are for national govt to decide? You're right, this is confusing.
Yes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21345322

Northern Ireland has 13 MPs. Nine voted against, two abstained, and two voted for. Scotland too has their own MPs. But right now, I don't know how many they have, and how the vote broke down.
Quote:
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Interestingly, my constituency is Milton Keynes North - Tory MP voted against. Milton Keynes South MP is the openly gay Tory Iain Stewart...

Douglas Adams