Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
celticroots
practical experience, FTW

celticroots is well-respected
I think my writing sucks.

I am going through one of those days where I think my writing sucks. But I keep writing anyway. For me it helps knowing that if I don't like how something turns out, I can edit/rewrite it later.

How do you guys deal with periods where you think your writing sucks?
celticroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My writing sucks too! As always.

What I do? I get to writing, regardless of the shit flowing out from my fingertips. Not writing isn't going to improve my writing.

btw, as with every skill, the more often you use it, the better it gets and the more confident you are in it. Try writing everyday, and, possibly, not to look back on what you wrote the previous day and just keep pushing ahead.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Brightdreamer
Just Another Lazy Perfectionist

Brightdreamer should run for PresidentBrightdreamer should run for PresidentBrightdreamer should run for PresidentBrightdreamer should run for PresidentBrightdreamer should run for PresidentBrightdreamer should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticroots View Post
How do you guys deal with periods where you think your writing sucks?
Wait... there's a period where I'm supposed to think my writing doesn't suck?

Why does nobody tell me these things?

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
- from The Daily Humorscope
Brightdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
TWallace
figuring it all out

TWallace is on a distinguished road
I am so pleased that so many stereo-types get smashed to bits here. So many people think writers are either conceited and pompous or miserable and self-pitying. It is nice to know that we are both and everything in between. I suffer from self-doubt, especially after reading something already in print. Then there are times when I read something and think, I could do that so much better....

I just keep on keeping on when mine suck...but then again I'm not published....hhmmm....

Make someone smile each and every day. You'd be surprised at the wonders it does for each of you.
TWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
Neporsche
Tribal Scribe

Neporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Feeling your writing sucks is the first step towards success as it allows you to examine what exactly doesn't work. This is far better than the would be Stephen King complaining about why no one has recognized their genius. When I feel this way, I go into hardcore edit mode. No writing just editing ... The feeling will pass.

Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.- Jack London
Neporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
AuroraRose
Starving College Student

AuroraRose is on a distinguished road
I always feel that way! Editing doesn't even really help. It's just a general creeping feeling that I'm throwing my life away.

Then again, I don't have anything published yet. Hopefully that goes away some when someone actually pays me for the garbage I spew into microsoft word.
Blog: Rambles about Writing
AuroraRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
Lycoplax

Lycoplax is well-respected
How do I deal? I drown my self-deprecation in chocolate or some other junk food, and get my mind somewhere else for a while. Go to the gym, play video games, watch movies, paint... and so on and so forth.

Then, once I've healed my self-inflicted wounds, I muster the courage to face my writing again. Because it will never get better if I walk away forever.

Oh, and sometimes I go to a bookstore when I'm feeling down on myself, and soak in all the subpar literature that sells in the name of what's popular. Then I think to myself, 'If this stuff can make money, there's hope for us yet.'

Stationed in Japan and loving it!
Lycoplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 AM   #8
Neporsche
Tribal Scribe

Neporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRose View Post
I always feel that way! Editing doesn't even really help. It's just a general creeping feeling that I'm throwing my life away.

Then again, I don't have anything published yet. Hopefully that goes away some when someone actually pays me for the garbage I spew into microsoft word.
In my experience that is just your subconscious rebelling against any kind of discipline. It is very convincing and rational but it is the same dark corner of your mind that rise to tell you calories don't count on Christmas and that missing one workout will be okay.

Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.- Jack London
Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
AuroraRose
Starving College Student

Psh, calories don't count on any holiday. Like Thanksgiving. And Martin Luther King Day.

Really though, writing is an extraordinarily frustrating pursuit. A lot of times I wish I had forced myself to be a bio major like everyone else.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #10
WillSauger

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Editing doesn't even really help.
I do have to interject and say, editing will always help the writing, but also the act of editing will improve your writing substantially. Don't think its not useful, I think its one of the greatest tools a writer can use, regardless of revising or writing the first draft.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #11
AuroraRose
Starving College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
I do have to interject and say, editing will always help the writing, but also the act of editing will improve your writing substantially. Don't think its not useful, I think its one of the greatest tools a writer can use, regardless of revising or writing the first draft.
You would think so, but I always wonder if I wrote it better the first time. I agree though, editing is important.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #12
Neporsche
Tribal Scribe

Quote:
Psh, calories don't count on any holiday. Like Thanksgiving. And Martin Luther King Day.

Really though, writing is an extraordinarily frustrating pursuit. A lot of times I wish I had forced myself to be a bio major like everyone else.
Yes it is, but so is working out, painting, meditation, archery, sailing money, etc, etc, etc. I will give this piece of wisdom for whatever it is worth. I have been teaching for 12 years in the same school. I love my job and feel fulfilled and satisfied with it. The first ten years, I hated it. The first two I was so nervous and stressed out I vomited every day before work. (Seriously). I think writing is the same. The benefit of editing is that you can still a coming something.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #13
akpeach
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Location: four days north of hopeless and 3 degrees south of freezing to death
akpeach is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Exactly! And calories especially don't count on National Chocolate Cake Day (which was last week for those who missed it.)

I always find myself falling into the "I think my writing sucks" pit when I've read a really great book. I find myself hating every single word I write, finding way too many repetitive words and feeling my entire story line is contrived and overdone.

But then I stop reading books (yes, I'll go through large chunks of time where I don't pick up any books that I think might be better than mine which is most books) and I just start writing again. The more I write, the more I want to write. And when I hate writing, I take a break and then go back to it again.
akpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 AM   #14
WillSauger

Quote:
You would think so, but I always wonder if I wrote it better the first time. I agree though, editing is important.
I always find that what I wrote the first time around to be golden. That perfect line. But then I take the leap of faith and rewrite it all and I'm happier with it than my last draft. I always go through that hesitation, but it always works out in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neporsche View Post
Yes it is, but so is working out, painting, meditation, archery, sailing money, etc, etc, etc.
Sailing money doesn't sound that hard. Is it like riding a sandworm?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #15
Neporsche
Tribal Scribe

Sailing money is hard as hell, so is saving money. I hate auto correct.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #16
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
I don't think my writing is the best in the world, but I don't think it sucks, either. If I knew I was wasting my time, I would've stopped writing a long time ago. I think what's best, if you can't stop writing, just don't lose hope. There's always room for improvement. There was a time in which super-successful writers like Stephen King, JK Rowling, Dan Brown, and many others, there was a time in which their work would get rejected time after time, but you know what they did? They didn't give up. They became better, and they could finally get agents and get published, and today, whether their writing's good or bad, there A-list writers. Some people think Stephen King is the best writer in the world and others think he can't write worth a darn, but reality is he's A-list, and he didn't get there with the very first novel he wrote. I heard Stephen didn't get published until his sixth or seventh novel. Just don't give up on your dream. Believing your writing is sub-par is the first step toward success. Just try to turn off that self-editor in your head and get thee writing.
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #17
skunkmelon
Randomly curious

skunkmelon is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpeach View Post
I always find myself falling into the "I think my writing sucks" pit when I've read a really great book. I find myself hating every single word I write, finding way too many repetitive words and feeling my entire story line is contrived and overdone.
I have that same feeling at times. Also sounds like it's pretty common, and I agree with others who've said the good thing about being nervous about your writing is that you aren't blind to its faults and it spurs you to continue to improve.

Funny enough, I just started reading a writing book and the author said, "Don't worry about feeling even worse [after reading one of your favorite novels] because you think you can't write like that author. You're not supposed to. You never can. But guess what? He can't write like you, either." (James Scott Bell)

Old 02-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #18
Stanhy59
Write On

Stanhy59 is on a distinguished road
Nice to know I'm not alone. I have times when I absolutely cringe when I reread something. I wonder how the hell I could have fooled myself into thinking it was any good at all.

Then I reread it another time and wonder why I was so down on it. It isn't wonderful....but it isn't anything to go hide in the cellar about either.

I don't think anything I've done is what I would call great, just that it doesn't suck quite as bad. Maybe that's good; it makes you try harder.

I also see redundancy in words and phrases later that make me swear. It's so hard to not have another set of eyes on your work.
Stanhy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #19
Dorky

Dorky has a spectacular aura
My writing always sucks; it's in a state of perpetual suckiness.

I just keep on writing anyway and try my best to edit every terrible thing I catch.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 AM   #20
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Self-loathing.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #21
JulianneQJohnson
has no socks

JulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolness
Honestly, I try to ignore it. I write the way I write, no matter how I feel about it on any given day. If it annoys me, I might take a look at some really bad writing to snap me out of it, or look at my early work to see how far I've come. Days when I've decided every single word I ever have written absolutely sucks might not be my most productive days, but they don't stop me.

Pictures and Words- my writing blog

Or join me on Tumblr

Last edited by JulianneQJohnson; 02-04-2013 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Typo I are writer!
JulianneQJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #22
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You're most likely to think your writing sucks right after you have a breakthrough that helps you understand your craft better.

In other words, that miserable "I suck" feeling is a sign of progress--it's the normal accompaniment to becoming a better writer than you ever have been.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #23
buzhidao
can totally spell Brobdinrgnagrian

buzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
Self-loathing.
This.

But I don't recommend it...
buzhidao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #24
folkchick
Not a new kid

folkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputation
I'm always amazed when people say their writing doesn't suck. I think my writing sucks and I'm pretty sure the agents who have my manuscripts are going to say the same. But I still love to write, and I know that I'm better than I was a couple of years ago. At least there's that.

The Starlights—gritty young adult (querying)

blog & twitter

folkchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #25
Layla Nahar
Seashell Seller

Layla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for President
It's funny - I have always been pretty much free of the thought that my writing sucks. I have the problem of thinking my ideas suck.