Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
DennisB
banned as an incurable tosspot

DennisB is well-respected
Day in the life

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a "day in the life" story about an agent.
Specifically, just what kind of hoops do they jump through to get a book published?
I keep reading that someone's agent submitted the mss to certain publishers. Is that it? Or does the agent do any selling?
Is an agent's job just to have a good handle on what subjects are hot and what houses may be looking at a year or so from now?
Does an agent ever go back and ask a pub to reconsider, or is a rejection written in stone?
DennisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
You could do worse than take a look at 'From Pitch to Publication' by London agent Carole Blake to get an idea of the whole process.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisB View Post
You know, I don't think I've ever seen a "day in the life" story about an agent.
Specifically, just what kind of hoops do they jump through to get a book published?
Read the archives of Kristin Nelson's blog, particularly the ones labeled Agenting 101.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
An agent who has the reputation of consistently submitting manuscripts that sell very well has to do no selling. An agent who has the reputation of delivering manuscripts that lack quality can't do anything to sell teh manuscript.

Where an agent's power comes in handy is with the contract, and with other rights that pop up after a book becomes a hit.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
DennisB

I may have missed it, but I still didn't see much about what goes into a pitch... or pitches.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Read Carole's book. You'll understand more then.

Agents sell books to publishers. They do pitch them, in all sorts of ways. But agents do so much more than that: they negotiate contracts, ensure those contracts are complied with, they check royalty statements and payments are accurate, they sell subsidiary rights...

Just read Carole's book. It's a great guide to publishing, not just agenting, and she's one of the best agents there is.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolness
Some agent blogs, author blogs and conference presentations have discussed a single work's path from author through agent and editor to published book. These give an idea of an agent's day.

A quick google search turned up this blog post http://www.rachellegardner.com/2011/12/an-agents-day/
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Google (not in quotes) "day in the life literary agent". You'll find a number of informative essays and blog posts.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
suki
Opinionated

suki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Search for the hashtag #agenting on twitter - you will see all kinds of insights into the daily work of an agent. And within the last year or so on Twitter there was a whole day where agents tweeted what they were doing at any given time, but I can't remember the hashtag. You might come across it while reading back.

As for pitches, submissions, following up, discussing revisions or rejections, etc....books have many different paths, and agents can be involved in many different activities from drafting the pitch, researching the sub list, making the pitches, keeping up their contacts/communications with editors so they have an idea what the editor might take on, following up on submissions, handling questions, calls with the author, negotiations, auctions, contracts, etc.

There are many, many steps that can be taken between acquisition and deal.

~suki

Website ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Goodreads

PERSONAL EFFECTS (Candlewick Press, September 2012). Now available! B&N ~ Amazon ~ IndieBound~
Interested in supporting a great indie bookstore (and ordering an autographed copy of Personal Effects at the same time)? Read more here.
suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
DennisB

Still looking...

I'm looking for something like "a day in the life" of an agent. I don't mean somebody's blog about attending a conference or putting off diving into the slush pile. I mean... what exactly does a successful or becoming-successful agent do? How many calls to eds/pubs, how many queries come across the transom that have to be read, how many of these get a second look, how many physical visits to eds/pubs are made in a day or week?

How about a behind-the-scenes look at taking a newcomer and getting a successful book published? How many steps are involved? How much goes into selling the project each step of the way, or keeping it from being whittled to the bone? Is it like pulling teeth?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
Coupland
figuring it all out

Coupland is on a distinguished road
It would be the good subject of a documentary. Problem is every book is different. Some sell in hours, some years, some don't sell. Ditto the amount of work that needs to be done on them.

Try this http://www.landaliteraryagent.com/ there's a chapter on what it's actually like to sign with an agent and the timeline.
Coupland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
Thedrellum
Grr. Argh.

Thedrellum is on a distinguished road
Just culled these from another Ask the Agent thread. They are literal "Day in the Life" posts from agents, but I'm not sure if they'll address all your questions:

From Eugenie Furniss of Furniss Lawton.
From Jessica Faust of Bookends, LLC.

Link to my AW Library Page

Represented by Lana Popovic of the Zachary Shuster Harmsworth Agency.
Thedrellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
GingerGunlock
paralibrarian

GingerGunlock is a glorious beacon of lightGingerGunlock is a glorious beacon of lightGingerGunlock is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedrellum View Post
Just culled these from another Ask the Agent thread. They are literal "Day in the Life" posts from agents, but I'm not sure if they'll address all your questions:

From Eugenie Furniss of Furniss Lawton.
From Jessica Faust of Bookends, LLC.
I just read the Jessica Faust one yesterday and immediately forgot who wrote it. Thanks for saving me the trouble of losing my mind!

My Doberman/dogs blog: The Elka Almanac
GingerGunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Read Carole Blake's book From Pitch To Publication: it'll give you a good idea of what it's like (Carole's a friend of mine, but I loved the book before we met; and yes, the book is a bit out of date now but it's still useful).
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Jennifer_Laughran
knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage

Jennifer_Laughran has earned our admirationJennifer_Laughran has earned our admirationJennifer_Laughran has earned our admirationJennifer_Laughran has earned our admiration
Quote:
I'm looking for something like "a day in the life" of an agent. I don't mean somebody's blog about attending a conference or putting off diving into the slush pile. I mean... what exactly does a successful or becoming-successful agent do? How many calls to eds/pubs, how many queries come across the transom that have to be read, how many of these get a second look, how many physical visits to eds/pubs are made in a day or week?

How about a behind-the-scenes look at taking a newcomer and getting a successful book published? How many steps are involved? How much goes into selling the project each step of the way, or keeping it from being whittled to the bone? Is it like pulling teeth?
But that's just the thing about being an agent -- just as there is no book that has the same path to publication, there is no day that is the same. I do wake up at about 8am every day and start working ... but the things I have on my to-do list are as varied as you can imagine, and they all go out the window as soon as emails come in demanding something different.

For example: Today I am supposed to write blurb requests, do filing, make 'quill pens' for an author's upcoming launch party, read a manuscript, do a ton of critiques, start work on an illustrator mailing, read some slush, go to the post office ...

oh but whoops, here's an email from one of my authors who is having a problem with her editor and needs me to read something RIGHT NOW, and here's a contract I have to read and deal with, and oh, the phone is ringing, it's a client who needs advice about something, and oh look, the mail came, and there are checks and royalty statements in it that need to be sorted out and OH MAN I FORGOT TO HAVE LUNCH better get on that! ... oh crap I didn't do any of the first things on the list, I guess I do those after 5pm. Or tomorrow...AND THE CYCLE BEGINS AGAIN.

http://literaticat.blogspot.com/
twitter: @literaticat
Jennifer_Laughran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
or is a rejection written in stone?
Rejections are actually written on bricks. First they hit you on the head, then you can pave your garden paths with them.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Jessica Sinsheimer did an interview or a post about her daily routine. Try googling her name to find it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #18
CAWriter
practical experience, FTW

CAWriter is on a distinguished road
I posted a reply here, but it didn't appear, so I hit 'post' again when it showed up as i hit my 'back' button and was told I was trying to post something I already posted in less than 5 minutes. It briefly appeared and then disappeared. So I don't know if there are poltergeists here, or if one of the blogs I linked to is verboten, but...

If you're so inclined, you can find "day in the life" posts on the blogs of Rachelle Gardener, Nathan Bransford (when he was an agent) and Janet Grant (whose post is relatively recent).
CAWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #19
GingerGunlock
paralibrarian

GingerGunlock is a glorious beacon of lightGingerGunlock is a glorious beacon of lightGingerGunlock is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
Rejections are actually written on bricks. First they hit you on the head, then you can pave your garden paths with them.
This post makes me wish I hadn't throw out my rejection letters. A path of rejection bricks would be just the thing out back, once we build the gazebo!

My Doberman/dogs blog: The Elka Almanac
GingerGunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #20
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
Quote:

I think the books and blogs mentioned to you have the answers you are looking for, but they're not compiled in one tidy place for you, unfortunately, that I know of. (In part because the answers vary so widely by agent, book, etc.)
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #21
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Talking

Just reading along....

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #22
bookishjen
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

bookishjen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupland View Post
It would be the good subject of a documentary. Problem is every book is different. Some sell in hours, some years, some don't sell. Ditto the amount of work that needs to be done on them.

Try this http://www.landaliteraryagent.com/ there's a chapter on what it's actually like to sign with an agent and the timeline.
This was a great recommendation, Coupland. I downloaded the book for free on Amazon and found it to contain a wealth of advice. Thanks!
bookishjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
DennisB

Jennifer,
Thank you. This is a bit closer to what I'm looking for.
It certainly does show how chaotic things can be. It also gives a bit of insight into why some good projects can fall through the cracks.

Could I ask you, though: What's a "blurb request?" And a "quill pen?" (Is this a prop, or a literary term?). Yeah, I know what a blurb is, but what's a request?

But this brings up another question. Is the agent part of the production process? Do you have a hand in cover art, promotion, editing, signing tours...?

These are some of the questions that I never see answered in the usual "how to" articles.

How to Land... seems to be more of the same: the same advice about spending hundreds or thousands on an editor, not querying with inane letters...

Last edited by DennisB; 08-19-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
Jennifer_Laughran
knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage

Jennifer_Laughran has earned our admirationJennifer_Laughran has earned our admirationJennifer_Laughran has earned our admirationJennifer_Laughran has earned our admiration
Quote:
Jennifer,
Thank you. This is a bit closer to what I'm looking for.
It certainly does show how chaotic things can be. It also gives a bit of insight into why some good projects can fall through the cracks.

Could I ask you, though: What's a "blurb request?" And a "quill pen?" (Is this a prop, or a literary term?). Yeah, I know what a blurb is, but what's a request?

But this brings up another question. Is the agent part of the production process? Do you have a hand in cover art, promotion, editing, signing tours...?
A blurb request is me, writing to big bestselling authors agents on my author's behalf, asking them to read my author's book to potentially blurb. I do not want my authors approaching for blurbs (unless they have a very good relationship with them or something), as that can be highly uncomfortable for all parties -- so either myself or the editor will approach.

"Quill Pens" are, in this case, quill pens. I am making them for giveaway/favor for one of my author's launch parties, because a magical quill pen features in the book. Why am I doing this? Because I am nice, and I know how, and I have a hot glue gun.

As for your other questions - I do not have a PART in the production process, as in, I don't personally edit the book or design the cover or book the tour or whatever - but certainly, I am looped in to these conversations, and help advise my author and advocate for them as needs be.

http://literaticat.blogspot.com/
twitter: @literaticat
Jennifer_Laughran is offline   Reply With Quote