Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
JWGriebel
Decrepit

JWGriebel is on a distinguished road
[eZine] Gore Stories

Anyone heard of these guys, are know anything about their legitimacy?

http://gorestories.com/

They're listed at Duotrope as well as Ralan, however I've been having a hard time digging due to the pub name being so generically confusing (type in gore stories publication and I get tons of hits, none of them very relevant). I have a story I think would fit perfectly for them, but I'm treading cautiously due to lack of substantial info.

EDIT: Payment seems a bit squirrely, as does the talk of "membership" to the web site being free for contributors, which leads me to believe some people would have to pay for it.
JWGriebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The site says they're "coming soon," and the site itself is unfinished. The fact that you're having a hard time finding them suggests that everyone else will have a hard time finding your story.

Quote:
Gore Stories is an ongoing digital anthology series, published weekly online for members only and monthly as an ebook for Kindle, Smashwords, and Nook readers. Gore Stories is looking for the best in gory, blood, and guts horror stories. We want stories that with a sense of suspense, fear, sensationalism, and/or humor.
They don't appear to have yet produced their first issue.

I'd advise waiting two years before submitting, to see if they're still in business.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
What Jim said. I'm also concerned about the use of the term "work for hire" on their submissions page. In a true work for hire situation, the copyright belongs to the commissioning party. I wonder if they meant stories they commission.
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Site was suspended by June. No sign of anything published.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote