Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pastor Complains; Waitress Fired

Waitress Who Posted No-Tip Receipt From “Pastor” Customer Fired From Job

The pastor has reportedly apologized, but in my opinion she wasn't sorry she stiffed one waitress then got another waitress fired; she was sorry that she was outed.

See also:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...logizes-687234

http://consumerist.com/2013/01/29/di...waiter-on-tip/

WWJD? Pretty sure "Not This."
Old 02-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
ladyleeona
fluently sarcastic grandma offender

ladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to behold
I saw this earlier today and it just wows me on so many (bad) levels. I think she's just sorry she got outed, too.

ETA--My ultimate favorite part is where she called for all the restaurant employees to be fired. Sounds like an awesomely great person and I want to be her bff. .
the horselord book//plotting along.

Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
www.girlrising.com
ladyleeona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
F.L.N
The Old Curmudgeon

F.L.N is on a distinguished road
It is an interesting position to take for a person that lives on gratuities! Does this mean that church members can leave insulting notes in the collection plate?
Before going into battle, Vikings would ingest Amanita muscaria. In addition to being moderately poisonous, Amanita muscaria eliminated fear causing them to be feared warriors earning Vikings the nick name berserkers
F.L.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
Gretad08
just think about it

Gretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was just coming to post this story. Great minds think alike!

The comment on the bill doesn't even make sense. Tithes are 10% of annual income. The tip was 18% of a small meal bill. Not even in the same financial ballpark.

I'd love to hear her preach. She's a real peach. The teachings of Jesus would never allow her to treat someone this way after they worked to serve her a meal.
Gretad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
Gretad08
just think about it

Gretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.L.N View Post
It is an interesting position to take for a person that lives on gratuities! Does this mean that church members can leave insulting notes in the collection plate?
Ha! I never thought of that!
Gretad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Very articulate young woman. I'm sure she'll get a job because of this.

::ETA::

Just finished watching the video. She's not only getting job offers, there's also a push to get her financial assistance.

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
About the only thing I can understand Applebee's taking issue with is that she accidently posted the signature. It probably was illegible, and the woman went out of her way to make sure no one knew whose it was. She even gave a fake physical description so no one could guess. I find it hard to consider it "personal information" when there was no name, address, phone number, or credit card number.

That note was a dick move on the pastor's part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes:

http://celiacyanide.tumblr.com/
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
sulong
It's a matter of what is.

sulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admiration
The waitress is not very bright. Ought not have shown the name of any person who chooses not to tip.

Quote:
As posted originally on Reddit’s Atheist page, the image contained the customer’s full signature. Chelsea says she didn’t think to edit that out because she had assumed the name was illegible.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
sulong

sulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post

I think it likely the waitress and the pastor of guilty of crossing swords.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
ladyleeona
fluently sarcastic grandma offender

ladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
About the only thing I can understand Applebee's taking issue with is that she accidently posted the signature. It probably was illegible, and the woman went out of her way to make sure no one knew whose it was. She even gave a fake physical description so no one could guess. I find it hard to consider it "personal information" when there was no name, address, phone number, or credit card number.

That's what I originally thought too, but I know some other chain restaurants have very strict policies about waitstaff and their cellphones--couple of quick cellphone pictures of a customer's credit card and bingo! easy fraud. Just the fact the picture was taken with a cell phone while on the job would probably have been enough to be fired at the chain I'm thinking of.

ETA--As guilty as I find the pastor, I agree with sulong's sentiments on the waitress.
the horselord book//plotting along.

Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
www.girlrising.com
ladyleeona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
Wilde_at_heart
Shameless attention-whore...

Wilde_at_heart leaves trails of profuse coolnessWilde_at_heart leaves trails of profuse coolnessWilde_at_heart leaves trails of profuse coolnessWilde_at_heart leaves trails of profuse coolnessWilde_at_heart leaves trails of profuse coolness
There have been so many recent instances of 'jerk leaves note on bill that gets posted all over the internet' that frankly whoever still does it probably deserves all the flack they get for it.

I'm torn on the signature thing - it was stupid of the waitress - but it's just as stupid to stiff someone, leave a nasty note for all to see and think there won't be any consequences that arise from it.

http://twitter.com/wilde_at_heart

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 82K - querying
Untitled Supernatural Romantic Mystery er, Interstitial? 96K + NA prequel, 63K
Daphne vs the Demoness 71K not sure how to end
The Human Resources Experiment, 92K, polishing
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #12
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeshadowwalker is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Where I work we can get fired for using a cell phone for anything other than checking the time, so on that, coupled with the fact she showed the customer's signature, I don't fault anyone for the firing except the waitress.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been by far; for a might-have-been has never been, but a has-been was once an are. - Milton Berle

There's only one absolute in writing - Never listen to absolutes.
shadowwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulong View Post
I think it likely the waitress and the pastor of guilty of crossing swords.
And they're both idiots who chose to express their opinions within the wrong mediums to make a point. They're paying for it now, as if that's any surprise.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Given that wait staff need tips to even make minimum wage I have no sympathy for non-tippers, pastor or not.

I worked retail for a few short years and my only achievement was not actually murdering any of the customers.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you can't afford the tip you can't afford to eat out.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Where I work we can get fired for using a cell phone for anything other than checking the time.
It doesn't say that this is the rule at Applebee's. This isn't why she was fired.

It's just hard for me to have any sympathy for the pastor, who demanded that EVERYONE be fired. I'm sure the waitress probably did break at least one rule. But as for the pastor, if you leave a note like that, you must, on some level, expect attention, and even crave it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes:

http://celiacyanide.tumblr.com/
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #17
sulong

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
If you can't afford the tip you can't afford to eat out.
I wonder how many restaurant owners are willing to say "no service" to a paying customer over the price of a tip? A few I'm sure, but certainly not many.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #18
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One other thing I'd like to mention is that it's usually not a good idea to air your work-related beefs on social media. So your co-worker got stiffed by the local pastor? So what? Besides you and some of that restaurant's staff, no one else really cares. Truly. Get over it and move on without trying to make it a scandal that will cost you your job, such as it did in this instance.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #19
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
One other thing I'd like to mention is that it's usually not a good idea to air your work-related beefs on social media. So your co-worker got stiffed by the local pastor? So what? Besides you and some of that restaurant's staff, no one else really cares. Truly. Get over it and move on without trying to make it a scandal that will cost you your job, such as it did in this instance.
I think you're spot on with this. I'm upset with the Pastor and how she handled it, which makes me more sympathetic to the girl, but my first thought when I saw it was that it was really inappropriate to show something like that. It's even less appropriate to include the signature.

Apparently the waitress did it because she thought it was "funny." That's even less of a good reason. I can kind of get behind showcasing jackassery in the hope that people will see it and decide not to be jackasses themselves (kind of), but doing it because you thought it was entertaining is not a valid reason to invade someone's privacy, which is essentially what she was doing.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #20
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

On the other hand, the pastor acted very badly indeed.

No matter where you are, no matter what you do, act as if everything you say might wind up top-of-the-hour on CNN.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #21
milkweed
Abuses commas at will.

milkweed is a splendid one to beholdmilkweed is a splendid one to beholdmilkweed is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

The pastor is a female, but still a nasty move.

Borg Rejection Letter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnys View Post
WE ARE THE BORG. YOU MAY RAISE YOUR SHIELDS AND DEPART. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS IS SUPERFLUOUS TO OUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR CULTURE'S SERVICE IS UNNECESSARY. PLEADING IS FUTILE. YOU WILL NOT BE ASSIMILATED.
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #22
milkweed
Abuses commas at will.

milkweed is a splendid one to beholdmilkweed is a splendid one to beholdmilkweed is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
I think you're spot on with this. I'm upset with the Pastor and how she handled it, which makes me more sympathetic to the girl, but my first thought when I saw it was that it was really inappropriate to show something like that. It's even less appropriate to include the signature.

Apparently the waitress did it because she thought it was "funny." That's even less of a good reason. I can kind of get behind showcasing jackassery in the hope that people will see it and decide not to be jackasses themselves (kind of), but doing it because you thought it was entertaining is not a valid reason to invade someone's privacy, which is essentially what she was doing.
On the otherhand when one is a yackass in public all bets are off, or so I was taught to believe.

Btw how does one get the little emoticons?

Borg Rejection Letter:

Quote:
WE ARE THE BORG. YOU MAY RAISE YOUR SHIELDS AND DEPART. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS IS SUPERFLUOUS TO OUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR CULTURE'S SERVICE IS UNNECESSARY. PLEADING IS FUTILE. YOU WILL NOT BE ASSIMILATED.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #23
milkweed
Abuses commas at will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulong View Post
I wonder how many restaurant owners are willing to say "no service" to a paying customer over the price of a tip? A few I'm sure, but certainly not many.

IIRC from an article I read yesterday she was the person paying for a rather large group of people, most establishments have stuff about tips and large groups when you walk in the door, don't know if this is true about Applebee's or not.

Borg Rejection Letter:

Quote:
Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #24
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I always thought it was automatically added to the total, too. Am I wrong about that?

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #25
milkweed
Abuses commas at will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
I always thought it was automatically added to the total, too. Am I wrong about that?
No that's plainly stated in the OP article concerning Applebee's large group policies, all groups over eight people are automatically billed 18% gratuity, the computer does it and according to the article they are unable to override the computer. So it wouldn't have mattered that the pasture left $6 on the table or not.

Borg Rejection Letter:

Quote: