Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Ravenheart
Trying to figure it out.

Ravenheart is on a distinguished road
Question Equery Question

Shoot me for asking what I'm sure is a really dumb question. If you're writing a query and it's an agent that wants email, only email, which I actually prefer... Do you do the whole formal letter bit like you would if mailing it in?

I ask because honestly I think if I ever had someone email me and it included my address, their address, and the date inside the body of the email in standard formal letter format I'd think it a little odd. Or do you simply do:

Subject Line: Query - [NAME OF YOUR BOOK - YOUR NAME]

Dear [Insert Agent Name Here]:

blah, blah, blah... NOT THAT I'M REALLY GOING TO SAY BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[Your Phone Number]

No need to add your email because they already have it.

Why add a date to it because that comes up automatically in their inbox...

Do I have my thinking correct or should it be more formal than that?

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever."
-Chinese Proverb

WIP - Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Currently at 48,056 Words & Counting (Maybe more if I didn't update my signature today)
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
ARoyce
Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant

ARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewelARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewel
When I was querying, I started with "Dear [awesome agent]:" and went from there. I would include full contact information after signing my name. (I included my email at the bottom just for the agent's convenience, but they'd likely just hit reply anyway.)

But I wouldn't start the query with the address parts, and I wouldn't include the date, since the email is already date- and time-stamped.

I hope this helps!

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook
ARoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Fantasmac
chronically underwhelmed

Fantasmac is on a distinguished road
Your instincts are correct -- no business format.

This is perfect:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Subject Line: Query - [NAME OF YOUR BOOK - YOUR NAME]

Dear [Insert Agent Name Here]:

blah, blah, blah... NOT THAT I'M REALLY GOING TO SAY BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[Your Phone Number]
*Although you probably should add your email to the bottom with the other contact information. Agents have different methods of handling emails. You don't want someone to port your query to a different folder, not be able to hit reply and be unable to contact you.
Endgame (YA Contemporary) -- planning
塞翁失马焉知非福
君子一眼驷马难追
Fantasmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Ravenheart
Trying to figure it out.

That's what I thought... I certainly didn't want to look like an idiot to the agent so I figured it would be better to look like an idiot on here.

Currently at 48,056 Words & Counting (Maybe more if I didn't update my signature today)
Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
quicklime
I make a terrible fluffer

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Raven,

Before you start sending them out, I would also visit Query Letter Hell. Fun place, lots of love and all that shit...

on the bright side though, many of the folks there are very good at what they do, which is showing you what doesn't work and why. and that's a better thing to learn before you went through your first 50 dream agents, rather than after.

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
jclarkdawe
Feeling lucky, Query?

jclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And because QLH aims at satisfying, you can read I am seeking representation ...( 1 2) which answers your question. Well, as much as QLH answers anything. And the people satisfied aren't usually the poster.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

GEORGE'S STORY MORTON'S FORK Let's see how many agents I can catch with the query

THE NEXT STEP ASHES TO ASHES INTO THE VALLEY (48,00079,000 words) Need to up my game.

THE PICTURE Might be my next project.
jclarkdawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
KateJJ
coffee and pistols at dawn

KateJJ has a golden reputationKateJJ has a golden reputationKateJJ has a golden reputationKateJJ has a golden reputationKateJJ has a golden reputationKateJJ has a golden reputation
If you are going to visit QLH (and you really should), you'll need 50 posts to start your own thread there. So come by and work on getting your post count up critting other peoples' queries; it's the best way to improve your own. Seriously.
3/6 new plots plotted
KateJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Another vote for QLH, but I also want to echo the advice to include your email in the query. Many agents have assistants or agency screeners that receive, read, and then forward the queries that they believe will interest the agent. By the time the agent gets the email, it's not a matter of responding by clicking reply; they're actually reading an email sent by someone inhouse.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Ravenheart
Trying to figure it out.

Thanks for all the input. I will try QLH when I'm ready. Been reading a few today and *sigh* decided my query... Needed reworking. And that's being polite. Good thing is I have an entire other 1/2 of the book to write. I only started this MS the second week in January and I'm at 42,000 words but I'm leaving for warmer weather in another week and with the laptop busted, all I have is the desktop at home. So I will be MIA for a bit... Until after Feb 20th.

Another question... I hate tacky and that goes for people. I have a for instance. Say [insert dream agent here] has an assistant that you're supposed to direct your query to BUT you just happen to have said dream agent's email. Would you be better off just sending the query directly to the agent or would that just piss them off. I'm sure it would piss me off. So wait I think I answered my own question? So maybe If you don't get a response should you send a nudge two months later to the actual agent??? Thoughts on this?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's good that you're already thinking of your query now, but you mustn't query that book until it's finished, and revised as hard as you can get it.

And if an agency provides submissions guidelines, follow them to the letter. If those guidelines tell you to submit to a particular email address, do so. If you don't, it's likely that your submission will be deleted unread.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
SKDaley
practical experience, FTW

SKDaley is on a distinguished road
That's not a stupid question, at all. I was so used to standard letters when I started email queries, I was horribly confused. Now, even though I've done it several times, I just sent out a few queries the other day and forgot to put my address, phone number, email after my name! Talk about stupid.