Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.


Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy > Urban Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
TechieMoe
figuring it all out
 
TechieMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 93
TechieMoe is on a distinguished road
Suggestions for a Horror/Urban Fantasy imprint?

I've just received word that my current publisher, Red Iris Books, is scaling back their operation considerably and may be phasing out over the course of the next year. I *just* moved to them after my first publisher (Paperbox Books) had much the same thing happen. Fool me twice, shame on me.

After the first e-pub tanked I was very careful to include exit clauses in any new contracts, so getting my rights back isn't an issue.

I'm looking for suggestions for stable e-publishers with a good marketing track record to whom I can shop my books. Obviously they'd need to be willing to take on properties that have been previously published. I have unpublished books in my series that I'm willing to toss at them - but only one is currently ready for editing.

I don't have the time or energy to self-promote, and I certainly don't have the money. One of my books (Found in Blood) hit #2 on the Occult charts this month during a free promotion, so I'd like to think there are people out there interested in reading my work.

What do you all suggest?
__________________
Exorcism is a nasty business. The Found in Blood series is available now.
TechieMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator
 
Old Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In chaos
Posts: 16,696
Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As I said to another poster in this room today, I don't think we can help you here. We don't know what your book is like, and we don't know what you want for your writing: you have to do your own research, and work it out for yourself.

But good luck with the search. I hope it goes well for you.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
TechieMoe
figuring it all out
 
TechieMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 93
TechieMoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
As I said to another poster in this room today, I don't think we can help you here. We don't know what your book is like, and we don't know what you want for your writing: you have to do your own research, and work it out for yourself.
That's why I posted here. Is this not a good place for that sort of information? I find it incredibly disheartening to post on a forum dedicated to writers and have a moderator basically say, "Yup, can't help you."
__________________
Exorcism is a nasty business. The Found in Blood series is available now.
TechieMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...
 
Unimportant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 4,467
Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieMoe View Post
I'm looking for suggestions for stable e-publishers with a good marketing track record to whom I can shop my books. Obviously they'd need to be willing to take on properties that have been previously published.
Most epubs seem to specialise in one or a few tight genres, so without knowing what kind of books you write, it's hard to make suggestions. And one author's 'good sales' is another author's 'crap sales', so again, it's hard to tell what size press you're looking for.

The biggest epub names I know are Samhain, Carina, Musa, Entangled, and Ellora's Cave. I've no idea if they take reprints; you'd have to check the guidelines on each of their sites. A google search for 'publisher + ebooks + whatever-your-genre-is' would probably be the best place to start, but once you've got a list of names, I'd recommend checking each of them on the Bewares Recommendations And Background Checks subforum here on AW -- each one will have their own thread, and they're usually pretty illuminating.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
TechieMoe
figuring it all out
 
TechieMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 93
TechieMoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
Most epubs seem to specialise in one or a few tight genres, so without knowing what kind of books you write, it's hard to make suggestions. And one author's 'good sales' is another author's 'crap sales', so again, it's hard to tell what size press you're looking for.
I write horror/urban fantasy.

Quote:
The biggest epub names I know are Samhain, Carina, Musa, Entangled, and Ellora's Cave. I've no idea if they take reprints; you'd have to check the guidelines on each of their sites. A google search for 'publisher + ebooks + whatever-your-genre-is' would probably be the best place to start, but once you've got a list of names, I'd recommend checking each of them on the Bewares Recommendations And Background Checks subforum here on AW -- each one will have their own thread, and they're usually pretty illuminating.
Thanks, I'll do that.
__________________
Exorcism is a nasty business. The Found in Blood series is available now.
TechieMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...
 
Unimportant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 4,467
Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieMoe View Post
I write horror/urban fantasy.
.
D'oh, guess who read your post without looking at the thread title! ::hangs head in shame::

I reckon Carina, Samhain, and Entangled would be good places to start.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator
 
Old Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In chaos
Posts: 16,696
Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieMoe View Post
That's why I posted here. Is this not a good place for that sort of information? I find it incredibly disheartening to post on a forum dedicated to writers and have a moderator basically say, "Yup, can't help you."
I didn't mean to upset you: but writers do have to be able to do their own research.

You didn't give us anything like enough information in your first post for us to be able to accurately suggest suitable publishers, and submitting to unsuitable or inappropriate publishers is not only pointless: it causes a huge log-jam in the slush-pile, which directly and negatively affects authors, agents and publishers.

Do some research. Focus. Find your own path. It'll help you far more in the end than asking others to sort this out for you.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
TechieMoe
figuring it all out
 
TechieMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 93
TechieMoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
D'oh, guess who read your post without looking at the thread title! ::hangs head in shame::

I reckon Carina, Samhain, and Entangled would be good places to start.
Sadly, Samhain doesn't accept reprints, but I've sent off a query to Carina. I'll look at Entangled next. I'm also looking at 47 North, Amazon's Horror imprint. Thanks for your help!
__________________
Exorcism is a nasty business. The Found in Blood series is available now.
TechieMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd
 
gingerwoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,823
gingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to behold
I only just noticed this thread. If you're still around you can check out my blog in my sigline. My latest blog may include a suitable press for you if you click on the publishers links I mention. I suggest the third and fifth publishers I mention in my blog might be suitable.
I don't strive to be comprehensive because it would be too time consuming for me, but there are links there for you to explore. I don't know off the top of my head which ones might consider already published manuscripts. You might find if you submit something original to them and get that accepted first that publishers would be more willing to look at your previously published work.
__________________
Hot Menage - Erotic Romance Read Blurb and Excerpt by clicking here -Amazon Buy Link from Samhain Publishing 4th place for Best Published Paranormal in the Passionate Plume award.




To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
TechieMoe
figuring it all out
 
TechieMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 93
TechieMoe is on a distinguished road
Thank you! I am still looking, and I'll give you a read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerwoman View Post
I only just noticed this thread. If you're still around you can check out my blog in my sigline. My latest blog may include a suitable press for you if you click on the publishers links I mention. I suggest the third and fifth publishers I mention in my blog might be suitable.
I don't strive to be comprehensive because it would be too time consuming for me, but there are links there for you to explore. I don't know off the top of my head which ones might consider already published manuscripts. You might find if you submit something original to them and get that accepted first that publishers would be more willing to look at your previously published work.
__________________
Exorcism is a nasty business. The Found in Blood series is available now.
TechieMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Custom Search

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Buy Scrivener 2 for Mac OS X (Regular Licence)


All times are GMT +4.5. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.