Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
MattW
Company Man

MattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Brazil Nightclub Fire - Over 200 Dead

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90Q04T20130128

Quote:
A nightclub fire killed at least 233 people in southern Brazil on Sunday when a band's pyrotechnics show set the building ablaze and fleeing partygoers stampeded toward blocked exits in the ensuing panic.
Most of those who died were suffocated by toxic fumes that rapidly filled the crowded club after sparks from pyrotechnics used by the band for visual effects set fire to soundproofing on the ceiling, local fire officials said.
It what seems a common story, it was a series of failures that led to this tragedy. The owners were in the process of renewing their fire inspection, the band purchased and used pyrotechnics for outdoor use only, doors were locked or blocked, and the fire department arrived without masks or other gear to help fight the blaze.

Sounds too much like the Rhode Island nightclub fire at a Great White performance.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/30/world/...t=hp_inthenews

Owners and band members arrested - one owner attempted suicide. Finger pointing and street protests have begun.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It was very much like the Rhode Island debacle, and there have been other similar ones in Russia and Argentina in recent years. The very idea of using pyrotechnics indoors, especially in crowded clubs, just makes me cringe. My father-in-law was a fire chief, and he probably would have strangled any club owner who permitted such stupid crap.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Gretad08
just think about it

Gretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGretad08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Terrible. What a sad and terrifying way to go. Prayers and thoughts to the many people who will feel the effects of this tragedy.
Gretad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nightclub fires are horrendous. A dark club is difficult to evacuate anyway, even with enough exits. And the fire spreads so rapidly, due to the materials used for soundproofing and what not, that unless you are near an exit you've got very little chance.

My Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UmptyOriginals
Goths available now, Geeks and Princesses very soon!
mirandashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
MattW
Company Man

MattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
Nightclub fires are horrendous. A dark club is difficult to evacuate anyway, even with enough exits. And the fire spreads so rapidly, due to the materials used for soundproofing and what not, that unless you are near an exit you've got very little chance.
The soundproofing caught fire here, flash burnt, and released toxic fumes. My understanding is that burn deaths are less likely than asphyxiation.

Then there's isues with confusion, crushing, and trampling.

Tragic, but hopefully future fires can be avoided by the attention this is getting.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I doubt it. There have been nightclub fires in the past and they still happen. Luckily they are rare but I don't they will ever not happen.

My Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UmptyOriginals
Goths available now, Geeks and Princesses very soon!
mirandashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
MattW
Company Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
I doubt it. There have been nightclub fires in the past and they still happen. Luckily they are rare but I don't they will ever not happen.
True. The reputable places will pay heed, but are likely up to snuff already.

The other places will continue on just skirting official shut down until there's a tragedy.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Kaiser-Kun
!

Kaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Some guards thought at first that it was a fight inside the club and closed the doors so that the people could not leave without paying their bills from the club.
Fucking morons.
Kaiser-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
regdog
Starscream
AW Moderator

Location: On Dasher, on Dancer, on Starscream. Starscream? Wait, what?
regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
It was very much like the Rhode Island debacle, and there have been other similar ones in Russia and Argentina in recent years. The very idea of using pyrotechnics indoors, especially in crowded clubs, just makes me cringe. My father-in-law was a fire chief, and he probably would have strangled any club owner who permitted such stupid crap.

caw
i don't know about the fire in Brazil but in the case of Great White, they asked to use pyrotechnics in several clubs and were refused. The band's manager lit them off anyway. It happened at the Stone Pony in NJ, a club in MN I believe, and at The Station. In the Stone Pony the pyro singed the sleeve of the club manager. Some people fail to comprehend the meaning of 'no'. Those clubs turned their contracts over after The Station fire to prove the "no pyro" clause in the contract and that the band's manager disregarded it.

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So, so horrible That kind of loss of life is mind-numbing.

Our worst non-terrorist mass murder in the US was a nightclub fire, set intentionally The crowds and space and darkness make them dangerous even if all of the rules are followed, imho.

The parts about looking the other way and cutting corners always piss me off to no end wherever cases like this one happen, though. That reminds me of factory fires, too. When profit (regular or via bribes) is the reason, that is almost more disgusting than the purposeful murders, imho

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote