Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Vince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Teacher fired for breaking the ice.

Not to mention for touching the tuchuse of a young boy and having him do the same.

Quote:
A Manhattan judge upheld the firing of substitute teacher Celestine Sam last week after she rubbed the back of a 9-year-old boy in front of the class and then had him return the favor.

During the reciprocal rubdown at Brooklynís PS 17 in Feb. 2009, both the 35-year-old teacher and student touched each otherís tuchuses, according to court documents.

I think this conduct should be beneath an teacher. In my mind, there's no butt's about it, she crossed a line.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or just want to crack a joke or two?
Vince524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I kind of feel bad for her when I read she was doing something specific she'd learned elsewhere.

But yeah, touching your student's butt, not a good idea. Ever. Poor judgement in her part.

Also, I learned something today. Thought it was "tooshie"
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
MattW
Company Man

MattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Can't we just put this behind us?

Turn the other cheek?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
AncientEagle
Old kid, no need to be gentle.

AncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No doubt she had good intentions, but I'm afraid she made an ass of herself.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by missesdash View Post
I kind of feel bad for her when I read she was doing something specific she'd learned elsewhere.

But yeah, touching your student's butt, not a good idea. Ever. Poor judgement in her part.

Also, I learned something today. Thought it was "tooshie"
That's a different word. Tuchuse is pronounced TOOK-us. Means the same thing.

It's pretty weird, and I'm not surprised she was fired. What was she thinking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes:

http://celiacyanide.tumblr.com/
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
frimble3
Heckuva good sport

frimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for President
I'm with Celia: What was she thinking? She learned some variation of the 'trust exercise' in some non-education course (and I hate to think what the world will make of 'rub-down' missionaries) and applied it to teaching?
Did none of her teacher training classes explain 'No Touching'? She's not some twenty-something, fresh out of teacher college - doesn't she read the papers? Professional articles? Discuss this cool new thing she learned with colleagues? Who I would hope would try to stop her.
frimble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post

Oh! Well I learned something else because I've never heard that word before. Weird.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
ladyleeona
fluently sarcastic grandma offender

ladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to behold
I can't imagine how or why she thought that was a good idea. Not at all.
the horselord book//plotting along.

Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
www.girlrising.com
ladyleeona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Female teacher massages a little boy's ass equates to, What was she thinking? She deserves to be fired.

Male teacher massages a little boy's ass, or a girl's, and you can bet we'd be calling for his balls and a long prison sentence.

Until those scenarios are viewed as equally egregious, we're not getting anywhere in protecting children from adults who would harm them.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellecshual

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post

It's usually (properly) spelled "tokus" or "tokhes." Yiddish.

And "tooshie" or just "tush" is actually the same word, just spelled differently and mis-pronounced.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

It's still June 27th, 1914

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by missesdash View Post
Oh! Well I learned something else because I've never heard that word before. Weird.
---

It's plain to see you've never grown up in a Jewish household.

Oh, well, we've all learned something today.

And yes, the teacher was an ass!

Death Bytes is out! Go to DivineDestinies.com/Amazon.com.

Get ready for Master Fantastic.
---
You're not anyone at AW until you've received your banned certificate from Andre.
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have to wonder how strongly they are emphasising to the teacher about ethics and appropriate behavior in those education classes the teachers have to take to get their degree...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Location: It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60's
Paperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
Female teacher massages a little boy's ass equates to, What was she thinking? She deserves to be fired.

Male teacher massages a little boy's ass, or a girl's, and you can bet we'd be calling for his balls and a long prison sentence.

Until those scenarios are viewed as equally egregious, we're not getting anywhere in protecting children from adults who would harm them.
Reminds me of this story of a woman only getting 5 years in prison (she will have to serve at least half that time) for having sex with underage kids http://www.livermorevalleynews.com/2...in-prison.html

and this one from a teacher in the same area
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...lting-student/
Paperback Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

Quote:

I wouldn't if the context was the same (someone to verify it was a specific excercise) but I would definitely consider it a much much larger judgement fail because the reactions tend to differ.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
kuwisdelu
It's the curse of Eva.

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

On the other hand, if it were a football coach smacking a player on the butt for encouragement as they left the locker room, no one would have a problem with it.

Weird how the world works.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #16
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

I wouldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes:

http://celiacyanide.tumblr.com/
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
On the other hand, if it were a football coach smacking a player on the butt for encouragement as they left the locker room, no one would have a problem with it.

Weird how the world works.

The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
Americans are so enamored of equality they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.~Alexis de Tocqueville
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.~Unknown

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist

This is not your grandfather's Evil Empire.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a glorious beacon of lightTeinz is a glorious beacon of lightTeinz is a glorious beacon of light
Well, I guess there's touching and there's touching.

I give my students a pet on the shoulders if they do well. I've taken unruly boys by the arm when it was needed. I've slung my arm around the shoulders of a girl when she told me sobbingly how her parents mistreated her. Hell, I've even received hugs from students after the graduation ceremony. Touch is a way human express themselves and it can be very powerful and useful.

Ofcourse, the touches I described are thouroughly non-sexual. I would never touch a students bum, or massage them or anything like it. But I don't want to dismiss the power of touch right off the bat.
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Brain officially broken. I can't even imagine how this could happen today.
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Vince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
Brain officially broken. I can't even imagine how this could happen today.
Offer up your tuchuse and we can show you.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #21
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellecshual

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tokus.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

It's still June 27th, 1914

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, she lost what was already a temporary job for what was probably an accidental action. It seems reasonably proportional to me.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #23
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince524 View Post
Offer up your tuchuse and we can show you.
I'm not in the fourth grade. Only mentally...
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
Tokus.
You butt out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
I'm not in the fourth grade. Only mentally...

You butt in!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
kayleamay
I'm on the phone.

kayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
It's usually (properly) spelled "tokus" or "tokhes." Yiddish.

And "tooshie" or just "tush" is actually the same word, just spelled differently and mis-pronounced.
It has about 15 different accepted spellings according to my Jewish MIL who sometimes calls me a toches lecker (ass kisser). The only truly proper spelling is הינטן. The English spelling is just slang.

Hushpuppy: "When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me flying around in invisible pieces. When I look too hard it goes away. And when it all goes quiet, I see they are right here. I see that I'm a little piece of a big, big universe and that makes things right. When I die, the scientists of the future, they're gonna find it all. They're gonna know, once there was a Hushpuppy and she lived with her daddy in the bathtub." ~ Beasts of the Southern Wild
kayleamay is offline   Reply With Quote