Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
ssjohnson
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ssjohnson is on a distinguished road
How many main characters is too many?

I have a story in my head about a group of ex-pat women, their relationships, and how they cope with living abroad. Each woman will have different things going on in their lives - newlyweds, happily married, constantly fighting, with kids, without, etc. I will, without a doubt, have at least four main female characters. But can I have one or two more? At which point will it be confusing to the reader, do you think? There will be several other women in the group, but they will just be on the sidelines of the scenes.
ssjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What you might want to consider is the length of the story you intend to write. Say it's going to be a hundred thousand words long. With four main characters, that gives you twenty-five thousand words to develop each character. With six, you'll have only sixteen thousand words. That will affect how far you can develop each character and how much of their story you can tell.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Or, you could have one, and the other peripheral characters and their stories dance around her, each touching her in some way, enhancing her story, bringing a richer understanding of your mc.
I pushed myself up from the bench, put my hands behind my head, and started limping over to the gate.
“What the hell happened to you?” Officer Adams said. “Are you injured? Turn around.”
I turned around. “I hurt my knee,” I said. I made eye contact with Kione. He mouthed, Don’t.
I didn’t.
/my little blog/

Last edited by kkbe; 01-31-2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: omg t-h-e-i-r
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
Little Ming
practical experience, FTW

Little Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjohnson View Post
At which point will it be confusing to the reader, do you think?
When the writer makes it confusing. Sorry, but there's no magic number of main characters for when readers get confused, it depends on the skill of the writer.
Little Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
MakanJuu

MakanJuu has a spectacular auraMakanJuu has a spectacular aura
Personally, I don't think it matters, as long as each character has a reason for being a part of the story in the first place.

Once again referring to Terry Goodkind as an example, he has roughly 20 recurring protagonists in his eleven novel series, but if he can't think of something for a character to be doing that ties into the story at large well enough, they sit one out.

However, I will make a point that these are recurring characters, not Main Characters. In fact, there are only five main characters in the series & some take the backseat in one novel, while others get their chance to shine, kind of like a TV show that will give one MC a character building arc, then another.

All in all, you should at least pick one or two favorites that you will defer to as main POVs & who are the most involved in the plot out of the others. Maybe a good example for your story would be a group "confedante" who has to deal with everyone elses issues as well as her own?

Backburners:
Let Us Thrive- Political Thriller/ Character Drama
Paranorm- Horror/ Character Drama
Buried Below- Treasure Hunter Homage
Spirits Sequels & Prequel(s)
MakanJuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 AM   #6
srgalactica

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
There is no hard and fast rule. Make sure the reader isn't confused and use only as many main characters as your story needs.

srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjohnson View Post
I have a story in my head about a group of ex-pat women, their relationships, and how they cope with living abroad.
Nothing wrong with an ensemble cast, but you do want to make sure each character has enough space for her own part of the story to develop.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #8
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
Little Ming

Little Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post

caw
pssh. I have 8,418.
Little Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:29 AM   #10
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
This is a really common structure in women's fiction, and I think it works best with 4 or fewer. Otherwise you just don't have the time (word count) to develop each story in much detail.
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
M R Mortimer
SF Author

M R Mortimer is on a distinguished road
Having many characters can enrich the story. It can also damage the story. It all depends on what the story is.

Sometimes, if the story setting or plot involves something huge or complex more characters can lend believability and stop you from accidentally creating a 'super character' because the characters need each other, else the job will never be done.

On the other hand, sometimes less is more and having too many characters hurts things. For example, you don't want fourteen characters crowding for space if you are trying to cast a sense of desolate isolation. Intimacy in a story needs less characters in some settings.

Similarly, if want to convey a feeling of "we are all in this together," then a single character won't cut it, even in the most drastic of circumstances.

Any hard and fast rules regarding number of characters would be a mistake. We might miss the next great novel if we enforced such a thing.

The trick is to be honest with yourself about your ability. Can you create a story with rich detail to the characters and have six without confusing the reader? Then go for it. Do you feel you are not getting enough difference and distinction between them and thus it will confuse the reader? then rethink it, and do justice to your vision the best you can in a different way that uses your current abilities.

The other choice is to put it aside until you feel more confident in your skill with characters, if the several POV approach is something you feel is instrumental to the delivery.

The only person who can truly answer that question, is you.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #12
Luprec
figuring it all out

Luprec is on a distinguished road
As many as you can get away with.
Luprec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
Bertram Fox
Author, Designer, Mad Scientist

Bertram Fox is on a distinguished road
A good trick, which I've found myself using once or twice without planning to, is to start with one or two major characters and a bunch of others whose stories are given equal weight, and gradually edge out the secondaries, like a slow move to closeup, till by the end of the book it's all about one or two people. The other characters are still there, but they've gone from stories to background.

Oh better far to live and die
Under the brave black flag I fly,
Than play a sanctimonious part,
With a pirate head and a pirate heart.
Bertram Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffysquirrel View Post
What you might want to consider is the length of the story you intend to write. Say it's going to be a hundred thousand words long. With four main characters, that gives you twenty-five thousand words to develop each character. With six, you'll have only sixteen thousand words. That will affect how far you can develop each character and how much of their story you can tell.
This, all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post

caw
Err, I know you're joking, but even if I had a series that consisted of 100 books, I still wouldn't reach that high number of characters, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Ming View Post
pssh. I have 8,418.
I'm going to attempt to write one story with that many characters, as in one BOOK. We'll see the word count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luprec View Post
As many as you can get away with.
I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertram Fox View Post
A good trick, which I've found myself using once or twice without planning to, is to start with one or two major characters and a bunch of others whose stories are given equal weight, and gradually edge out the secondaries, like a slow move to closeup, till by the end of the book it's all about one or two people. The other characters are still there, but they've gone from stories to background.

This too.

My 2 cents: When you notice a character is only there for 1 or 2 pages, unless he's going to be there for a short period of time so the main characters have him there to support the plot, in other words a character that betrayed the mafia, for example, and the Mafiosos need to kill him to go on with their plans, that character is not necessary, so cut them out, and cut out parts where he or she's mentioned, too. Only have characters that are important to story and plot.
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
JulianneQJohnson
has no socks

JulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethS View Post
Nothing wrong with an ensemble cast, but you do want to make sure each character has enough space for her own part of the story to develop.
I like this. This made me think of the play "Tea," which is about a group of five Japanese "war brides" and their varying level of success adjusting to a new culture. It’s a powerful show with 5 lead characters working in ensemble. It makes you care about each and everyone within the boundaries of a single play.

How much is too many? I don’t know. But I certainly think you could try for your six and make it work. If it doesn’t, you could slide a couple to supporting roles.

Pictures and Words- my writing blog

Or join me on Tumblr

JulianneQJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Zoro
figuring it all out

Zoro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M R Mortimer View Post
Having many characters can enrich the story. It can also damage the story. It all depends on what the story is.

The trick is to be honest with yourself about your ability. Can you create a story with rich detail to the characters and have six without confusing the reader? Then go for it. Do you feel you are not getting enough difference and distinction between them and thus it will confuse the reader? then rethink it, and do justice to your vision the best you can in a different way that uses your current abilities.
I have an ensemble cast in my own novel, and this above makes a lot of sense to me.
Zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Benedetto Youssef

Benedetto Youssef is on a distinguished road
Ask George Martin, he'll probably tell you somewhere around 200...main characters that is.

The Bone Thief Saga
Book 1: Tears of the Song Prince-->First Draft: 94,500/~90,000 words

my website:
www.BennJosef.com
Benedetto Youssef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
Finis

Finis has a spectacular aura
Two.

But how you approach that is as variable as the wind. If I recall, Stephen King did a book with four novellas in it, each seemingly about a different character, once you get toward the end though you realize it's all about one girl, who is a mutual side character in each story. Is she the main character? or is it four main characters. I think you could argue either way.

But for most stories, I think one main character is enough. Ron and Hermione went through great character arcs, and were wonderfully developed, but the story is about Harry. Epics like Song of Ice and Fire annoy me. I don't want a new character every chapter, I want one. It breaks immersion for me to have to replant myself in someone else's head.

That's just my personal preference as a reader though. (Which makes it kind of my personal preference as a writer too I guess.)