Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > General Publishing Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Ms.Happy
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Ms.Happy is on a distinguished road
Best E-Publishers for Children's Chapter books

I am ready to sub my children's chapter book. Who are the best e-publishers are for that genre? Anyone have any experience with those e-publishers?

A HUGE thank you!
Ms.Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ms Happy, why do you specifically want to find an e-publisher for your book? Why are you keen to avoid a print edition?
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
Ms.Happy

I have no had any success with agents or submissions to go the "traditional" route.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's trade publishing, not "traditional".

There are lots of good trade pubilshers which accept submissions from writers. Smaller presses, independent presses: just because you've exhausted the list of agents you wanted to try doesn't mean you're now excluded from print editions.

Did you get any requests at all from your query? If not, your query might be the thing that's not working, not your book. Build your post-count up to 50 and then you'll be able to start a thread of your own in Query Letter Hell, and get your query letter looked at. If you help other members with their query letters, they're far more likely to help you with yours once you post it.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Ms.Happy

Are there any trade publishers you would recommend? You seem to be very knowledgeable on this issue
Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

You have to do your own homework, I'm afraid. Not because I'm reluctant to help you, but because I don't know your book like you do, and I have no idea of how you like to work and what your aspirations are.

I really think your best bet would be to spend some time contributing to our Query Letter Hell room, and learn how good queries are constructed; then when you've got your fifty posts, post your own query letter there for critique. If it didn't do the job with agents, it's probably not going to do the job for e-publishers either, unless you submit to the ones which don't care about the quality of the books they publish. And why would you want them to publish you?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
jonpiper
practical experience, FTW

jonpiper is on a distinguished road
Ms. Happy, I googled and found a good site that discusses how to sell your nonfiction book.

The site suggests that to find a trade publisher for your particular book, you can first browse the book shelves in your catagory at a book store or public library to find publishers of books similiar to yours.

Then evaluate book covers and contents to determine if the publisher is right for you.

It's not a bad site, but I don't think I can post it on A.W.
jonpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Savant

Savant is on a distinguished road
I would have love to seen an answer to her original question. Are there any good e-publishers for children's books out there?
Savant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
Cella
freshening up

Cella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome to the 'Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
I would have love to seen an answer to her original question. Are there any good e-publishers for children's books out there?
Yes.

But as Old Hack said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
You have to do your own homework, I'm afraid. Not because I'm reluctant to help you, but because I don't know your book like you do, and I have no idea of how you like to work and what your aspirations are.
...it's important to look for and find a good fit, not just a "good" publisher, e or otherwise.

Take advantage of the Bewares and Background Check forum to see what people are saying about the publishers who have caught your eye.

Also, as has been shared already, contributing to the community and getting your post count up so you can benefit from the feedback of other members is invaluable for many. Hope to see you around and good luck!

Old 05-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #10
profen4
Monkeys are evil

profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
ETA: [oops] old thread... sorry