Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
ebbrown
Easily Amused

ebbrown is a shiny, shiny jewelebbrown is a shiny, shiny jewel
Curious if you've run into crazy resale $$ on your books?

So I checked Amazon this morning and was happy with how things are going, but I noticed that my paperback book is being offered by other sellers at 3x the original price!
Is this normal, and why on earth would anyone think it was worth that much? I admit, I am confused.

Perhaps is has to do with the cover change? It went into effect yesterday for the eBook and I saw a spike in sales, but the paperback will not catch up with the new cover for another day or two.

Has anyone had this happen, and do you think I should be holding onto the last copies I have of the 1st cover, haha?

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
Alice: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Facebook
Twitter
EBBrown.net
ebbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Dorky
practical experience, FTW

Dorky has a spectacular aura
Yes, it is normal. Sellers will sometimes put up high prices for items that don’t cost that much and aren’t out of print. It’s not a matter of what they think it’s worth; it’s what they want to sell it for

Check out the Throne of Glass hardcover. Under the used section, you can find a few listings for $24 (Good to Like New) and $126.53 (used). Actually, I think that last one might be a wrong listing...

The point is, the book sells for $10.50 ($18 normally) on amazon right now.

Under the Never Sky Hardcover: $7.20 on sale ($18 normally). There are a few used books at $34-38.

Sellers of used books usually have more reasonable prices, but sometimes they don’t I would keep those last few copies for myself anyway. It’s always nice to have them.
Dorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
ebbrown
Easily Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorky View Post
Yes, it is normal. Sellers will sometimes put up high prices for items that donít cost that much and arenít out of print. Itís not a matter of what they think itís worth; itís what they want to sell it for

Check out the Throne of Glass hardcover. Under the used section, you can find a few listings for $24 (Good to Like New) and $126.53 (used). Actually, I think that last one might be a wrong listing...

The point is, the book sells for $10.50 ($18 normally) on amazon right now.

Under the Never Sky Hardcover: $7.20 on sale ($18 normally). There are a few used books at $34-38.

Sellers of used books usually have more reasonable prices, but sometimes they donít I would keep those last few copies for myself anyway. Itís always nice to have them.
Very interesting! I had no idea re-sellers operated that way. I guess more power to 'em if they can sell it for 3x what the original price is, haha. I should probably stop checking Amazon, I think it's making me insane.

Alice: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Facebook
Twitter
EBBrown.net
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Becky Black
Writing my way off the B Ark

Becky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbrown View Post
Very interesting! I had no idea re-sellers operated that way. I guess more power to 'em if they can sell it for 3x what the original price is, haha. I should probably stop checking Amazon, I think it's making me insane.
Amazon is the most crazy-making thing ever for writers. I see me ending up in a rubber room in a straight-jacket shouting "Let me out! I haven't checked my author rank today!"
Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Katrina S. Forest
I'm already a real writer.

Katrina S. Forest leaves trails of profuse coolnessKatrina S. Forest leaves trails of profuse coolnessKatrina S. Forest leaves trails of profuse coolnessKatrina S. Forest leaves trails of profuse coolnessKatrina S. Forest leaves trails of profuse coolness
Sometimes the prices set by re-sellers on Amazon aren't even set by human beings. Case in point, a book that was offered for sale for over $23 million because two computer programs started playing off each other: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

Pretty sure no one bought any copies, though. ^_^

"An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)
Katrina S. Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
ebbrown
Easily Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Black View Post
Amazon is the most crazy-making thing ever for writers. I see me ending up in a rubber room in a straight-jacket shouting "Let me out! I haven't checked my author rank today!"
Seriously!! I'm right there with you, haha!!

Facebook
Twitter
EBBrown.net
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
ebbrown
Easily Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina S. Forest View Post
Sometimes the prices set by re-sellers on Amazon aren't even set by human beings. Case in point, a book that was offered for sale for over $23 million because two computer programs started playing off each other: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

Ha, $23 million! Holy smokes. Gotta love computers!

Facebook
Twitter
EBBrown.net
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, man. I really have nothing pertinant to add to this conversation. All I keep thinking is, Oh, man. If I only had that problem. If I had that problem right now I would be flipping ecstatic--

Please, carry on.
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
ebbrown
Easily Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
Oh, man. I really have nothing pertinant to add to this conversation. All I keep thinking is, Oh, man. If I only had that problem. If I had that problem right now I would be flipping ecstatic--

Please, carry on.
yeah, I am truly thankful and thrilled anyone bought it at all. Very, very grateful indeed. Did I mention very, very grateful??

Facebook
Twitter
EBBrown.net
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's basically a scam. There are high ball sellers on most books, hoping to hit a consumer who does know that they need to shop around.

veinglory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
yeah, I am truly thankful and thrilled anyone bought it at all. Very, very grateful indeed. Did I mention very, very grateful??
No need. I was being funny. Or, shall we say, I was attempting to, ahh. . .

Really, I am happy for you. Thrilled beyond measure.
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
ishtar'sgate
living in the past

ishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbrown View Post
So I checked Amazon this morning and was happy with how things are going, but I noticed that my paperback book is being offered by other sellers at 3x the original price!
Is this normal, and why on earth would anyone think it was worth that much? I admit, I am confused.
Oh it's normal alright. When I looked up some of the resellers for my novel I thought, "Are you people crazy? Who's going to pay THAT much for ANY novel?"

new blog post - March 31
Positive Affirmation Babylonian Style
ishtar'sgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
Jess Haines
Boldly going nowhere in particular.

Jess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for President
I saw someone trying to sell the third book in my H&W Investigations series for $900 the other day. All I could do was laugh.

I would just ignore it. I doubt anyone will be paying those crazy prices.

Though I will admit I once spent $80 on an out of print paperback that I had to have. Loaned the copy I owned to someone who, of course, lost it. It was one of my favorite books, one I loved to reread, so the money felt well spent. It's the only time I've ever spent that kind of money, so I suppose there may be the occasional (rare) instance where someone else will get so desperate as to spend a ridiculous amount, too.

"It doesn't get much better for pure urban fantasy than Jess Haines." --All Things Urban Fantasy

Forsaken by the Others: Coming July 2, 2013
Jess Haines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #14
ebbrown
Easily Amused

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
No need. I was being funny. Or, shall we say, I was attempting to, ahh. . .

Really, I am happy for you. Thrilled beyond measure.

Facebook
Twitter
EBBrown.net
Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ignore Amazon.

Write your books. Sell them to the best publisher available.

Which isn't Amazon.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
Orianna2000
Freelance Writer

Orianna2000 is a glorious beacon of lightOrianna2000 is a glorious beacon of lightOrianna2000 is a glorious beacon of light
If a book goes out of print or comes out with a new edition, sometimes the marketplace sellers will raise their prices, thinking the older version will be more valuable. But secondhand book prices fluctuate wildly, even without those sorts of influences. If I see a book I like, but it's out of print and too expensive, I'll add it to my Amazon wishlist and keep an eye on it. Several times now, I've managed to grab a normally expensive book when the marketplace sellers had a price war and the cost dropped to something more reasonable.

About ten years ago, Phantom by Susan Kay was out of print, extremely popular, and very hard to find. Prices were insane! One day, I discovered a seller on eBay who was asking over $800 for their used copy, an absurd amount, even given the rarity of the book. I was curious, so I actually wrote them and asked why on earth they would charge that much for a book that other people were selling for less than $100. Their reply was something like, "Don't worry, I'll sell it." Well, a few months later Phantom was finally reprinted and secondhand book prices plummeted. I'm pretty sure that guy never did sell his $800 book.
Orianna2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
KSavoie

KSavoie is on a distinguished road
I can't wait to check my writers rank on Amazon! Not that it matters, it'll just mean I'll finally have published something! haha

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
Here's my twitter!

YA Fantasy Post-Apocalyptic -- In Revision
YA LGBT Contemporary -- Stewing
YA Space Opera -- Plotting and Planning
KSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
A friend of mine released a free ebook as a publicity thing. It was only ever intended to be free and would never have been offered at any price other than that. She was surprised to find that Amazon were selling it and putting a price on it (I think it was their minimum price...). My concern was 'are they paying you anything for any sales they get on this?' but she was more concerned with making sure that the free links were shared as widely as possible so that readers did not get ripped off (which is a valid concern in my eyes too...). She is hoping that eventually one of the pricing algorithms will step in and adjust the price to free...

Transitions
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transitions-...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

'Gods of the Sea'
Part of the Pirates and Swashbucklers anthology:

http://pulpempire.com/mag/

My blog:

http://lurkingmusings.wordpress.com/

I helped write this:

http://www.realmfw.com/
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina S. Forest View Post

I have a friend who owns an antiquarian bookstore and also sells online. He told me about those algorithms, how sometimes a program will pick up a book offered in the US, more or less double its price, and offer it in the UK. The reverse also happens. I guess it's a "transatlantic premium" or something.

Anyhow, this makes it fairly easy for the same exact copy of a book from the same seller (if you look closely at the lists) to turn up multiple times at twice the lowest asking price, or four times, or eight times, and so on.

And yes, lots of booksellers offer books they do not actually have. A friend of mine did a self-published POD book. More booksellers are offering it than copies were printed (and most of the printed copies are accounted for). I'm guessing none of them actually has a copy in hand.
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
Ignore Amazon.

Write your books. Sell them to the best publisher available.

Which isn't Amazon.
Yeah, but it's still fun to talk about.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is online now   Reply With Quote