Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
butterfly
On the verge

butterfly is well-respected
Where do you keep what you write?

On your hard drive? Printed out in a writerly-decorated binder? Stuffed in an old FEDEX box in the closet?

For now mine are in individual folders but I need something a bit more creative.

http://introverted-writer.blogspot.com/
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"My Documents"

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
alleycat
I've fallen and I can't get up.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In a writing folder and sub-folders on my computer. And backed up to an external drive and to an Internet backup website.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*watches thread*

I have copies on my harddrive, a thumb drive, a secondary harddrive and that's it, which I know is not safe as any and all of those can fail at any time (I've already had a harddrive failure and a thumb drive failure). I'd love to find a nice internet backup place that's not dropbox (which I just have this, perhaps irrational, fear of using).
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
alleycat
I've fallen and I can't get up.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearilou View Post
I have copies on my harddrive, a thumb drive, a secondary harddrive and that's it, which I know is not safe as any and all of those can fail at any time (I've already had a harddrive failure and a thumb drive failure). I'd love to find a nice internet backup place that's not dropbox (which I just have this, perhaps irrational, fear of using).
You could use the free version of Mozy if you just want to back-up document files (and not photos or videos). They give you 2 GB free (of course, with the hope that you will eventually need more); 2 GB is a lot of Word files. I've used Mozy and it works well.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The D drive on the computer is where all the active files are stored, the external hard drives, cloud storage and various other places are for semi-killed projects, while the print-outs are confined to the ancient and rather creaking things which may or may not be picked up again. I try to remember to save everything in a few places, but I am terrible at remembering where I saved the latest version of anything...

Oh, and I think Google Drive has 5GB free, straight off. Need to check it out to be sure though

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Corussa
I fight like a dairy farmer

Corussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of light
I save my writing:
  • every time on my hard drive
  • occasionally on a secondary hard drive
  • just as occasionally on a flash drive
  • once in a blue moon by printing out (though I do that more because I want to read paper instead of a computer screen, rather than viewing it as a form of backing up).
I should probably be taking more precautions. However, I have a history of being careless about backing up, so that's a big improvement for me!

The Wrecklings (Corussa 1) - 92k, draft #137ish
The Retosphere (Corussa 2) - 51K, first (short) draft still gathering dust
The Insert-Title-Here (Corussa 3) - Will be written once Wrecklings and Retosphere are done and dusted!
The Crown Capassia (Corussa 4) - Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha
Corussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've had a hard drive fail (twice! Once with smoke...) but living with an IT guru has its perks.

I save to a writing folder (Subdivided into crits, released books, current projects, ideas etc)

I also back up to sugar synch (a cloud backup like dropbox) which lets me move projects to my laptop etc without worrying that things will get lost.

I also email important projects to myself every now and again, especially a final version

I should probably use a thumb drive too, but Son keeps 'borrowing' it....

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
ap123
Twitching

ap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hard drive, thumb drive, and too infrequently I back up to an external hard drive.

Try it, you might like it. Blogging life in the big city with Mrs Fringe.
ap123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
USB pen and dropbox.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
fredXgeorge
I heart sexy elves and wizards.

fredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewelfredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewel
A writing folder in Documents, three memory sticks, and occasionally I update on an external hard drive (which reminds me, I must do that again soon).

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
- J.K. Rowling
fredXgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
KimJo
Outside the box, with the bunnehz

KimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for President
I use Dropbox. I initially tried to save to both my hard drive and Dropbox, but I kept forgetting to do one or the other and lost two manuscripts because of it, so now I just save to Dropbox. I tend to kill computers after a year or two (seriously, the laptop I'm using right now is my fourth computer in as many years, though two of the ones I've gone through in that time were hand-me-downs from hubby), so for me it makes more sense to just use some form of cloud storage.

All of my books that have been published, or at least submitted, are also in folders in my web-based email accounts, so if Dropbox fails, I can access those that way. (I just wouldn't have access to my works in progress.)
COMING SOON:
"Kissing Scars," short story in First Time for Everything anthology, Harmony Ink Press, 9/2014
Covenant (Dark Path 1), Jupiter Gardens, TBD

As Karenna Colcroft
My contemporary romance site- Over 18 only!
My contemporary romance library
COMING SOON:
Love Like Vampires, Dreamspinner, 7/2014
Last Chance Tattoo, Loose Id, TBD

KimJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
jack lee
figuring it all out

jack lee is on a distinguished road
2 hard drives usb stick, sometimes in print.
jack lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
Hard drive and Mozy
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Amanda R. is well-respected
Just dropbox. If my computer dies, I know the files are all safe. It's also great that I can access them from my ipad.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.
Amanda R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thumb drive and Dropbox

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewelAshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewel
Always stored on my 4gb flash drive, dedicated to writing. Every two weeks I back up to my computer. Every month I back up to my external hard drive.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
SelmaW
Follow your heart; take your brain

SelmaW is well-respected
"My Docs", and periodically I email projects to myself. So far I haven't lost much; mostly problems arise for me from my tendency to create file names like "Project 1". Sorting through 20 "Project 1"s is ever so much fun 3 years later
SelmaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My laptop, my husband's server, and Dropbox.

I don't keep hardcopies anymore, and I'm a frothy-mouthed fanatic about everyone keeping at least two backups, one of which is not located in your house.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
-- C Drive (My Documents subfolder)
-- Daily Dropbox backups
-- Daily G-Mail backups

Backup everything.

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
tarawriter
New kid, be gentle!

tarawriter is on a distinguished road
Everything is backed up to Carbonite. Anything I'm working on currently is also in my Dropbox.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #22
Becky Black
Writing my way off the B Ark

Becky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of light
On my hard drive. Each novel project gets its own folder in My Documents. Then it's moved into the Completed Projects folder when it's finally done.
Backed up onto a USB stick, which I then carry around with me everywhere when I leave the house.
Current work backed up onto Google Drive. And I keep all previous versions of novel drafts as I work on them, so I can always get back to something from a couple of days back.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
Beachgirl
Misbehaving and stuff

Beachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admiration
My Documents, 2 usb drives, and Microsoft Skydrive. I had a laptop die recently and I had forgotten to do a backup right after finishing the last chapter of a book, so now I'm paranoid.

BookStrand* Amazon
Blog * Twitter
AW Library
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
angeliz2k
never mind the shorty

angeliz2k is a splendid one to beholdangeliz2k is a splendid one to beholdangeliz2k is a splendid one to behold
I keep the absolute most recent version on both my hard drive and a thumb drive. I'm pretty anal about keeping them both up-to-date. I also occasionally email myself the file.

That way, I know for sure that a recent version is out there in the interweb ether, even if it isn't the most recent version. I also know that the most recent version is in the pocket of my purse in case I want to revise and in case there's a fire at the apartment that destroys my computer.

WIP 1: Britannia c.AD 60. 120 k. Trunked.
WIP 2: Paris, 1780s. 88k. five fulls, one partial, six rejections
WIP 3: Antebellum South, 1854 100k; querying; two fulls, both rejected; R&R
WIP 4: Novella. Civil War w/a hint of supernatural. 43k
WIP 5: The Cotton Wars. 104k. Editing.

My Blog:
MARIE ANTOINETTE'S DIAMONDS:
angeliz2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hard drive and I e-mail them to myself. Should my hard drive fail (knock on wood!), I know that the file exists in two separate e-mail accounts.

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote