Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pickup truck fueled by compressed natural gas explodes at gas station

I realize that gasoline is explosive. But my understanding about CNG is that it's ...... more explosive (or at least more easilly ignited).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChCVfn9ePDc

http://ktla.com/2013/01/24/mans-car-...t-gas-station/

30 seconds long, safe for work.

(KTLA Channel 5, Los Angeles)

And here's a nifty factoid: AT&T's nationwide fleet of 5,200 service vans are all now officially CNG-powered.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/video/785477...n-natural-gas/

2 minutes long, safe for work.

(CBS-affilliate, DFW Channel 11, Dallas-Fort Worth)

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This looks like an appropriate opportunity to use the lovely word 'stoichiometric'.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
This looks like an appropriate opportunity to use the lovely word 'stoichiometric'.
Exactly what I was going to say.

ETA: Ok, no it wasn't...
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wonder if there are more or less explosions per operating hour with CNG than with Gasoline. There is heavy usage of the former in fork lifts etc without a large number of reported incidents (by media).
It is easier to ignite than gasoline but both both systems are pretty safe with proper vehicle maintenance.

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown

Last edited by PorterStarrByrd; 01-28-2013 at 04:07 PM.
PorterStarrByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In "irony-land," when I clicked on the youtube link, the video was preceded by an ad -- for natural gas.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Watching the video it is apparent the man knew there was a problem because he moved quickly to remove the hose from the truck but didn't manage to stop the explosion. I wonder what it was that caused the explosion--besides the natural gas, of course.

I have given in to the Blog Bug. Visit my Duchy here.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

-- George Orwell's "1984"

Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Plot Device

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
Watching the video it is apparent the man knew there was a problem because he moved quickly to remove the hose from the truck but didn't manage to stop the explosion. I wonder what it was that caused the explosion--besides the natural gas, of course.

I saw that also. I watched a couple times in a row to see if I could spot what it was that sent him into such a 5-alarm state during those 3 seconds PRIOR TO the explosion. I couldn't suss it out. But I am curious.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
clintl
Represent.

clintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
I saw that also. I watched a couple times in a row to see if I could spot what it was that sent him into such a 5-alarm state during those 3 seconds PRIOR TO the explosion. I couldn't suss it out. But I am curious.
I think I can guess what probably happened. Notice that the explosion happens when he touches the nozzle, and that he's moving toward it the nozzle, not away from it. I bet what happened is that he noticed some leakage from the nozzle, reached for it to shut it off, and when he touched the nozzle, there was an electrostatic discharge from his body to the nozzle, igniting the CNG. It can happen with gasoline, too - there's a Mythbusters video about it that I show to my chemistry students every year.
clintl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Torgo
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl View Post
I think I can guess what probably happened. Notice that the explosion happens when he touches the nozzle, and that he's moving toward it the nozzle, not away from it. I bet what happened is that he noticed some leakage from the nozzle, reached for it to shut it off, and when he touched the nozzle, there was an electrostatic discharge from his body to the nozzle, igniting the CNG. It can happen with gasoline, too - there's a Mythbusters video about it that I show to my chemistry students every year.
That was what I thought, too - saw the same episode the other day! The other thing that occurred to me was that maybe the pressure vessel just failed. I don't see much of a fireball, and the blast seems to happen mainly under the bonnet. Maybe he heard a rivet pop or something?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm thinking static electricity, too. Looks like the explosion happened at the time his hands touched the truck and the fuel pump, as if he completed some circuit.

Regular gas fuel pumps have warnings about static electricity, that you shouldn't get back into your car while fueling and then get out again to finish. That just builds up a charge that is released when you touch the nozzle.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #11
Sarpedon
Banned

Sarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputation
That's one of the big worries with lots of alternative fuels. Gasoline is stable enough that untrained people can handle it (usually) without incident. Compressed natural gas and hydrogen are more volatile. Perhaps the alternative fuel pumps of the future will have a trained person dispensing it, like in the old days.

I bet he heard a hiss or smelt gas, and thus learned there was a leak. His first impulse was to go to where the leak was rather than shutting it down at the source.
Sarpedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
frimble3
Heckuva good sport

frimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
That's one of the big worries with lots of alternative fuels. Gasoline is stable enough that untrained people can handle it (usually) without incident. Compressed natural gas and hydrogen are more volatile. Perhaps the alternative fuel pumps of the future will have a trained person dispensing it, like in the old days.
Good point about the pump attendants. They got rid of them to save money, because they weren't a necessity, but if they're a safety system, bring 'em back.
frimble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
clintl
Represent.

clintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
Good point about the pump attendants. They got rid of them to save money, because they weren't a necessity, but if they're a safety system, bring 'em back.
You're saying everyone should have to live like an Oregonian?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
I realize that gasoline is explosive. But my understanding about CNG is that it's ...... more explosive (or at least more easilly ignited).
As a liquid, gasoline is not explosive. Gasoline vapor is, however, at the right concentration with oxygen. Same is true for methane (natural gas) and hydrogen. The difference with methane and hydrogen is that it is normally stored as pressurized gases, as are such familiar fuels as propane and butane. Uncontrolled release of that pressurized gas can quickly lead to explosive conditions, and any little spark, like static electricity, can set it off.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
frimble3
Heckuva good sport

frimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputation
Quote:
Them Oregonian are damn fine people. More people should live like Oregonians. Washingtonians, for a start. Then Californians!
frimble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #16
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellectual (AWFI)

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
On the exploding car front: http://myfox8.com/2013/01/29/mass-wo...-to-unlock-it/

Quote:
The state fire marshal says when Sugrue pressed her keyless trunk remote, it somehow ignited vapors trapped in plumbing equipment that was stored inside the car.

“In the trunk was an acetylene tank and other equipment used in the plumbing trade. There was a leak in the acetylene tank that caused the explosion based upon the transmittal of the remote,” the fire marshal said.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

The Internet doesn't serve enough crow

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Torgo
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
As a liquid, gasoline is not explosive. Gasoline vapor is, however, at the right concentration with oxygen. Same is true for methane (natural gas) and hydrogen. The difference with methane and hydrogen is that it is normally stored as pressurized gases, as are such familiar fuels as propane and butane. Uncontrolled release of that pressurized gas can quickly lead to explosive conditions, and any little spark, like static electricity, can set it off.

caw
*nods wisely* Stoichiometry.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #18
Plot Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post

Makes me wanna go and clean out my trunk.

*checks outside temperature*

*reads only 20 degrees*

*says "screw it"*

Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Diana Hignutt
Muser

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
In New Jersey, it is also illegal to pump your gas.

"Give me the courage to change things that others accept...and the wisdom to understand that everything changes..." - Diana's Anti-Serenity Prayer

www.lamuseinn.com

WIP: 43.1/100K
Diana Hignutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
I'll never forget how surprised I was the first time I stopped for gas in Oregon. Is the assumption that people are smart enough to share twisty two-lane roads in inclement weather, with other cars approaching at a closing speed over 100 MPH, and with only inches of clearance preventing catastrophe, but too dumb to operate a gas pump?

Or is it political?

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 AM   #21
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellectual (AWFI)

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's the united pump operators union of Oregon... the UPOUOO.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

The Internet doesn't serve enough crow

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #22
Gilroy Cullen
Gilroy's Unlicensed Therapy Center

Gilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wonder how insurance companies deal with these explosions... Are they considered user error still?

Braving SYW:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=279131
A writer's journey is like life - no two are entirely alike.
Gilroy Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 AM   #23
clintl
Represent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I'll never forget how surprised I was the first time I stopped for gas in Oregon.
If you pretend you don't know and get out to pump your gas, though, you'll get instant service. Nothing attracts the attention of an Oregon gas station attendant quite like someone starting to pump their own gas.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #24
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
When did they pass that stupid law? It didn't exist when I was there... some 30 years ago.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #25
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
If you pretend you don't know and get out to pump your gas, though, you'll get instant service. Nothing attracts the attention of an Oregon gas station attendant quite like someone starting to pump their own gas.
No kidding! I was already out of the truck and going for the pump when the attendant stopped me and said I wasn't allowed to use it. The look on my face must have been priceless. I seriously thought I was on Candid Camera or something. It took him a bit to convince me it wasn't a joke.

It must amaze the legislators of Oregon and New Jersey that citizens of 48 other states (and how many other countries?) manage to fuel their cars without blowing us all to kingdom come.

Did the clowns who did this get re-elected? I can't believe anyone would vote for someone who thought they were too dumb to use a gas pump.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote