Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Green
practical experience, FTW

Green is on a distinguished road
How to frame a synopsis?

I've been attempting to put together a synopsis for my novel and have researched the basics (how long, what to include, etc.).

I do have a question about synopsis structure for frame stories, however. In my novel, the narrator is recounting a tale. She introduces herself at the beginning as the storyteller, and then launches into the actual events. At the end, the story reaches "present tense" and concludes. Should I include the frame in the synopsis, or just give the plot that my narrator is telling? The reason I'm curious is because there are other POV characters included, as well as some time jumps. I find it a little hard not to make it jarring unless I disclose the frame story aspect.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolness
I'd put the frame in, but with a brief mention, if it keeps you from jarring the reader in the synopsis. Consider why you have a frame. What makes it necessary to your story? That is what needs to be in the synopsis. Good luck.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
Green
practical experience, FTW

Green is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply. The frame is there because one of the overarching themes in the book is how history can change according to the writer. I'll include a sentence or two for the reference.