Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #476
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
BTW, I'm official today!

http://samhainpublishing.com/coming/?pg=6

No cover art yet, though. Can't wait to see it!

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: coming from Strange Chemistry Books, September 2014. is back out on submission. Again.

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of
Christine N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #477
Gary Clarke
Knackered

Gary Clarke has earned our admirationGary Clarke has earned our admirationGary Clarke has earned our admirationGary Clarke has earned our admiration
Weeeee! Congratulations Christine!
Gary Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #478
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How cool is that!

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #479
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And I just got a note from the cover artist and I've seen what she's done. I wish I could show it to you all, but I just can't do it yet. I'm not allowed.

Once I get the okay, you'll be the first to know.

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: coming from Strange Chemistry Books, September 2014. is back out on submission. Again.

I tweet

Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #480
smlgr8
Eternal Lurker

smlgr8 has a spectacular aura
Congrats, Christine!
smlgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:19 PM   #481
MissLadyRae
I vaahnt to suck your blaahd

MissLadyRae is on a distinguished road
Awesome! Congrats Christine!!!

You're right above my blogger friend Xakara, too! :-D Now I have two books to buy on that page lol.

Looking forward to the cover. I bet it's fab.

MissLadyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 PM   #482
kiwiauthor
practical experience, FTW

kiwiauthor is a glorious beacon of lightkiwiauthor is a glorious beacon of light
... wonderful Christine ...
kiwiauthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:08 AM   #483
Sonarbabe
Working In A Coal Mine...

Sonarbabe is well-respected
Isn't it great seeing your book on the "Coming Soon" page? A couple weeks ago I linked it to everybody I knew...then I did it again when my cover became available.

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.
Sonarbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:31 AM   #484
kiwiauthor

kiwiauthor is a glorious beacon of lightkiwiauthor is a glorious beacon of light
... quietly stealing your marketing tips, guys . Seriously, Sonarbabe and Christine (and others), I'd love to hear what you have planned vis a vis marketing etc, how this works at Samhain ...
Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #485
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Since this will be an e-book release, most if not all of my marketing will be done online. Which is good, because it's mostly free . Interviews (I'll be the Author of the Month at Enchanting Reviews- YA in March) and probably another virtual book tour. Samhain has a good reader loop on Yahoo, with tons of people subscribed. And there will most likely be a contest with a cool giveaway. I'll probably do another Virtual Book Tour - I had a good time with the last one, but it was tiring to set up.

Lots of excerpts and stuff like that. Since there's no print version yet, it's kind of different, the marketing. Plus there are the reviews, but the lady at Samhain is in charge of all that. I have a few copies I can give to reviewers they don't use, but it's up to me and if they're not on the approved Samhain list, they won't go on the site, but I can link them to myself and put them on my personal site.

I tweet

Old 11-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #486
kiwiauthor

... gods, so much to learn. Thanks for sharing, Christine, and wish you every success. Sell, big .

Oh, and another question. From your experience are the folks who buy e-books and like electronic formats the same readership as those who purchase print books? I'm wondering if publishing first in e-format, and later in print, effectively gives an author two bites at the cherry.

Last edited by kiwiauthor; 11-30-2007 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:52 AM   #487
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Not usually. E-book readers are those that know about e-books and read them often. Romance and Erotica currently hold a large portion of the market share, which means that most of the readers I'll get with this first e-book will be from that market (so it's a good thing Samhain does a lot of romance, eh?) but there are fans of other genres that buy, sure.

Samhain books are sold at My Bookstore and More, then at Fictionwise, I think, a little while after the book comes out. And I see that at least a few of the titles are available in the Amazon Kindle store.

Print books - well, they have the store placement, so you're getting the people who wander into bookstores, or read reviews.

I don't think they're the same readership. I personally think I'll reach a whole new audience with the e-book, since this is my first big e-book release. Hopefully that'll sell my backlist.

I tweet

Old 11-30-2007, 03:02 AM   #488
kiwiauthor

Thanks for your thoughts, Christine. They're invaluable.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #489
MissLadyRae

Hey Christine,

I just saw your cover over at the Samhain coming soon and it is BEAUTIFUL! Simply gorgeous.

Congrats!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #490
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Wait, it's up????

See how much I know Thanks! I think it's pretty dang cool too.

I tweet

Old 12-03-2007, 12:56 AM   #491
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
two things:

1) I actually SEE Samhain books at my local bookstore. Which is something right there.

2) I just got a lovely rejection from Samhain that was good, precise and darned helpful. Can't ask for more than that from a respectable publisher.

Sheryl Nantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 AM   #492
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Sorry about the rejection, Sheryl. But they ARE nice about it, aren't they?

And I love that the books are in the store. If I'm excited about February, you'd better believe I'm thrilled about next December. (it's ten months between e-book and print release).

I tweet

Old 12-03-2007, 01:31 AM   #493
kiwiauthor

.... commiserations, Sheryl. Congrats. on THE SECOND LINE, though. I imagine you'd be a 'shoe-in' at Mundania?
Old 12-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #494
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm sorry about the rejection - here's some

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #495
MissLadyRae

Oh poo about the rejection, Sheryl. I was pulling for ya. But yay about the good personal advice they gave you! Either way, here's some chocolate for ya!

I can't wait to dive into The Second Line. It's calling me from my read pile.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #496
Gary Clarke
Knackered

Gary Clarke has earned our admirationGary Clarke has earned our admirationGary Clarke has earned our admirationGary Clarke has earned our admiration
Oh man, Christine! That's one smashing cover! Well done, i'm green with envy :0)

Sheryl, so sorry about the rejection. I don't know how to virtual hug expect to do this ((( sheryl))) so thats what I'll do. Rejections hurt so bad.

Congratulations on the Mundania release! Let us know how you find them to work with, eh?
Gary Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #497
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
thanks, all - I'd rather this thread return to focus on the positives about Samhain than 'lil old me.
Sheryl Nantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #498
Jennifer Robins
paranormal interest

Jennifer Robins is on a distinguished road
Christine, the Cover it wonderful. The best to you.

I too have submitted a MS back Oct. 4th and still have not heard anthing. It was the second time I had to send it in, because the first one was lost.
Sorry to hear sheryl, I wish you luck next time.

Jennifer
www.jenniferrobins.com

Last edited by Jennifer Robins; 12-05-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Jennifer Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 AM   #499
kiwiauthor

Okay, bumping this thread. Anyone heard anything on subs? And a question to those pubbed with Samhain. Do editors close up shop during the holiday break (i know I would), hence, those waiting for a reply shouldn't expect anything until the new year? Anyone know?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:04 AM   #500
MissLadyRae

Still waiting while trying to pound out another book. I wish I could say it's helping to alleviate the Obsessive Email Checking Syndrome (aka OECS) but not so much.

Quote:
Do editors close up shop during the holiday break (i know I would), hence, those waiting for a reply shouldn't expect anything until the new year? Anyone know?

I'd like to know the answer to this one, too!