Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Kaiser-Kun
!

Kaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Star Wars Episode VII

J.J. Abrams confirmed as director, and Toy Story 3's screenwriter Michael Arndt is tasked with the script.

Awesome.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-i...isode-vii.html
Kaiser-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am so friggin excited I could die. I heard he passed, and I nearly cried. Now I can hardly contain myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
JadeVarden
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JadeVarden is on a distinguished road
I strongly disagree. I hate Abrams to the deepest reaches of my soul. I'm beyond upset that he now has another franchise to destroy.
JadeVarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Kaiser-Kun
!

Kaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Star Wars can't sink any lower than Jar Jar Binks.
Kaiser-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
kenthepen
practical experience, FTW

kenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Me'sa so happy!

Severe allergic reaction to the slightest traces of reality

Kenneth Folta available on Smashwords
kenthepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser-Kun View Post
Don't tempt Fate, my friend. Anything can happen.

Interesting that JJ Abrams is now officially at the head of reboots to both sides one of the oldest sci-fi rivalries of all time.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
sassandgroove
Sassy Crafter

sassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bah. I don't care for Abrams.

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
(image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)
sassandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
MttStrn
Action is my reward..that and bacon

MttStrn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeVarden View Post
I strongly disagree. I hate Abrams to the deepest reaches of my soul. I'm beyond upset that he now has another franchise to destroy.
I don't hate Abrams. I enjoyed the Star Trek reboot. However, the Trek and Wars universes are very different and I have a huge problem with one man responsible for the future vision of both.

Not that it will stop me from seeing the movie when it drops.
MttStrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
It sure isn't encouraging that Abrams and Jar Jar share the same first initials...
Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 AM   #10
sassandgroove
Sassy Crafter

sassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Don't say that you'll jinx it.

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeVarden View Post
Lucas already destroyed this.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #12
sassandgroove
Sassy Crafter

How do you figure that Celia. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing just curious to hear your take.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Location: It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60's
Paperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of light
I'm excited about a new SW movie, but I hope they do a proper job too.
Paperback Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassandgroove View Post
How do you figure that Celia. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing just curious to hear your take.
I think Patton Oswalt explains it better than I ever could...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Zmuoze65U

Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassandgroove View Post
Not directed at me, but still: midichlorians. Midi-fucking-chorians.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
sassandgroove
Sassy Crafter

Yeah. I'll watch the video later.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

*bump*

If nobody minds, some time has passed since this was announced, and I'm feeling a little differently about it. To wit:

Pros:

1) Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan, co-writer of The Empire Strikes Back--by far the most popular, successful, and critically acclaimed film in the entire franchise.
2) JJ Abrams as director--I liked the Star Trek reboots a lot.
3) Mark Hamill confirmed--role as The Joker proved he's a total badass and unlikely to let us down.
4) Bad Robot as one of the production houses--YMMV, but I've yet to see a movie by them I didn't enjoy.

Cons:

1) Distribution taken over by Disney--look what happened to John Carter.
2) JJ Abrams as director--I'm not as huge a fan of Star Trek so I don't know what he did to it exactly.
3) Harrison Ford confirmed--performance in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull proved he's either lost his mojo or doesn't care anymore.
4) Lucasfilm as the other production house--Episode I left a lot of people very, very angry, and a lot of us don't trust the brand anymore.

Conclusion:

Jury's still out. I've changed my expectation from "Do Not Want" to "Cautiously Optimistic." Also very curious about whether or not we'll get to see Mara Jade on-screen, or indeed whether this will follow the Expanded Universe at all. (But I still hate the Midichlorians. Haaaaaate.)

Old 12-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah.... I'm still pessimistic about it. I'm one of those that stll insist that the chronological order of the first 3 are the only ones worth bothering with. I refuse to acknowledge the rest. And I don't care what Lucas thinks.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

^Lucas is barely involved in this one. He's not even a producer--IMDB lists him as a "creative consultant" whatever that means. I was surprised when I read that.

ETA: Assuming you mean the original trilogy by "first 3," btw.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #20
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellectual (AWFI)

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post
I think Patton Oswalt explains it better than I ever could...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Zmuoze65U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda Nightingale View Post
Not directed at me, but still: midichlorians. Midi-fucking-chorians.
Yes. Very much the worst and most unnecessary addition to the universe.

That and the need to put every main character--except for Han Solo!--from the original three back into the prequels. I mean C3PO, R2D2, Chewbacca, AND Boba Fett?!?!? Really?!?!?!

But the Chewbacca introduction in Episode III bothers me most of all, I think.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

A unanimous SCOTUS smackdown on Presidential power-grabbing...or is it?

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
maggi90w1
CAVE!

maggi90w1 has a spectacular auramaggi90w1 has a spectacular aura
I enjoyed both Star Trek reboot movies a lot and Abrams can't possibly do worse then Lucas did with Episode I-III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI Harry Plinkett anyone?).
At least JJ get's his butt out of his chair once in a while.

Looking forward to it.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
^Lucas is barely involved in this one. He's not even a producer--IMDB lists him as a "creative consultant" whatever that means. I was surprised when I read that.

ETA: Assuming you mean the original trilogy by "first 3," btw.
Oh yes! Lucas can number them anyway he wants to. To me, those are the Star Wars trilogy. The other 3 are an abomination unto the gods.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #23
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Quote:
Pros:

1) Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan, co-writer of The Empire Strikes Back--by far the most popular, successful, and critically acclaimed film in the entire franchise.
This is a big one for me. That was an excellent script, no question. That kind of writing was one of the big things that was missing from the prequels.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #24
warofthesparks
I know what happened to Baby Jane.

warofthesparks is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Actually, I read that they're using the outlines that Lucas wrote for these next three films. I don't know what "creative consultant" means either, but they did an interview with his son Jett where he says that his dad has been calling JJ and Kathleen nonstop to give advice on Episode VII. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas is on set for most of the filming. It's not like he's doing anything else.
warofthesparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #25
zerosystem
practical experience, FTW

zerosystem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggi90w1 View Post
I enjoyed both Star Trek reboot movies a lot and Abrams can't possibly do worse then Lucas did with Episode I-III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI Harry Plinkett anyone?).
At least JJ get's his butt out of his chair once in a while.

Looking forward to it.
Red Letter Media's review for the prequels is the most detailed one on the net. I thought it was a bit bloated, though.

And I think the less input he has on the new trilogy, the better.
zerosystem is offline   Reply With Quote