Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
DPRichard
Sockpuppet

DPRichard is on a distinguished road
IP Address

My website keeps showing visits from an IP address that when I run it through Whosis says it is from Ottawa Canada sometimes or New York City on other occasions.

But the host provider lists the visit as coming from Redmond, WA and the Internet provider as Microsoft.

So is this Microsoft using some kind of bot that keeps hitting my site or what?

Curious only because I have queried agents in Ottawa and NYC and would like to know if they are checking me out or not.

Anyone know which data I should accept as accurate?
DPRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I dunno the answer, but my Microsoft Corp visits are from Beverly Hills, CA 90210

-Derek
Now available from Eggplant Literary Productions
“Vampyres! All I'd heard about since I'd arrived in this
damned city was vampyres!”
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Reziac
Resident Alien

Reziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Up to 90% of the visits to any website are various indexing bots, like Google and Bing (and a whole slew of Russian indexing bots). Since a lot of 'em have more than one data center, they can come from various IP addresses. To add to the confusion, some bots identify themselves as some browser version!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In addition, if the agent(s) you are monitoring for are on a major service provider, or if they have staff researchers/agents/editors/interns working from other locations (like home) THEIR visit to your site could come from a variety of IP addresses, not restricted to a small geographic area.

So, the possibilities of accurate joy are perhaps not as high as the chances of false joy.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."
Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Reziac
Resident Alien

Reziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And then there's IP addresses that aren't accurately mapped in the first place... I used to be on a fixed IP address that I got thru a little local ISP, who used AT&T as their pipe. For a long time my IP address mapped to 100 miles away and AT&T, not my actual ISP or location.

All that aside... nowadays I'd expect just about anyone in business to immediately google any prospect they were remotely interested in, so figure if you put something on a website, it WILL be seen.

BTW multiple repeat visits usually means it's a bot.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Location: It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60's
Paperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of light
Send me the ip via PM and I'll try to track it for you.
Paperback Writer is offline   Reply With Quote