Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Arizona Repubs want their high school seniors to swear an oath to god to graduate?

Link, from Legiscan

Quote:
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Title 15, chapter 7, article 1, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 15-701.03, to read:
15-701.03. Graduation requirement; constitutional oath
BEGINNING IN THE 2013‑2014 SCHOOL YEAR, IN ADDITION TO FULFILLING THE COURSE OF STUDY AND ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED IN THIS CHAPTER, BEFORE A PUPIL IS ALLOWED TO GRADUATE FROM A PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL IN THIS STATE, THE PRINCIPAL OR HEAD TEACHER OF THE SCHOOL SHALL VERIFY IN WRITING THAT THE PUPIL HAS RECITED THE FOLLOWING OATH:
I, _________, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; THAT I TAKE THIS OBLIGATION FREELY, WITHOUT ANY MENTAL RESERVATION OR PURPOSE OF EVASION; AND THAT I WILL WELL AND FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THESE DUTIES; SO HELP ME GOD.
I guess some of these foreign exchange students are gonna be just screwed.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Even if it passes, the Supreme Court will toss it out on numerous grounds.

And what God do they want the seniors to swear an oath to?

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Apparently they're going straight from the Prom to Boot Camp.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

A Scary Halloween Story
by guest blogger,
Alleycat
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
benbradley
It's a doggy dog world

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
Even if it passes, the Supreme Court will toss it out on numerous grounds.

How about this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ExW1Fx0-k
benbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
cornflake
practical experience, FTW

cornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is there some sort of contest between Arizona and Florida for most batshit crazy state?
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Magdalen
Petulantly Penitent

Magdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What a load of carp! The very term "requirement" negates the possibility that the obligation is taken "freely". And what Willibee said. Is there something funky in the water out west or what?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's them realizing that their primary power base is getting old and dropping dead of concentrated stupid. They need to start indoctrinating more youth, stat!

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Swearing to uphold the Constitution? I thought that was the President's job. Or Congress'.

It's pretty nasty to quire a loyalty oath just so kids can graduate. Heck, I don't think even police officers have to swear that. The swearing by the Judeo-Christian god is only the icing on the cake.

I am afraid that it is no surprise that this legislation is being proposed in Arizona.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Amanda R. is well-respected
It's against the law to force children to pledge allegiance to the flag any more, and they think they can force young adults to swear an oath to God? It's completely unconstitutional. So glad I'm not an AZ resident. I am legally an FL resident, but AZ really takes the crazy prize on this one.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.
Amanda R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Is there some sort of contest between Arizona and Florida for most batshit crazy state?
Don't forget New Mexico.

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
thebloodfiend
Cory

thebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahzero View Post
Don't forget New Mexico.
I feel like my state is betraying me.

I might just have to revert to my birthstate. Hawaii hasn't proposed or passed any crazy bills as of yet, have they?
thebloodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've lived in AZ for 25 years. Every time I think we are climbing out of the Valley of Crazy, we slide back in. Deeper.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
Gregg
Life is good

Gregg has earned our admirationGregg has earned our admirationGregg has earned our admirationGregg has earned our admiration
Seems the author of the bill (Thorpe) is backing off a bit:

"Thorpe said he is planning on offering an amendment to the bill when it goes to committee that would make taking the oath optional rather than mandatory."

Doesn't make the original idea any less stupid.

"Beware the greedy hand of government, thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry."
Thomas Paine

Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
Well, the real one, of course.

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
Billtrumpet25
Gaze upon my shih-tzu powers!

Billtrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodfiend View Post
I feel like my state is betraying me.

I might just have to revert to my birthstate. Hawaii hasn't proposed or passed any crazy bills as of yet, have they?
Do not tempt the fates.

War of the Wizard (Book 1): undergoing editing

The Wizard's Curse (Book 2): 60% complete

"The Dark Ages: Life With a Bipolar (WIP-narrative nonfiction of my experiences with my bipolar dad, and how to deal with the bp dis.'s turbulence.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...45&trk=tab_pro

https://twitter.com/BillFitzgibbons
Billtrumpet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
Mara
Clever User Title

Mara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputation
How can people this stupid, evil, and anti-American keep getting elected to positions of any sort of power?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
How can people this stupid, evil, and anti-American keep getting elected to positions of any sort of power?
“No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” ~ Edmund Burke

First, you take a contented populace, then you make them fearful. You tell them of the dangers that surround them. You tell them of those who would destroy their way of life, their very beliefs. You begin to put faces to those dangers. You never let up until every face they see is that of a potential enemy. Then, when their fear is great enough, you tell them you have the answer and that you can protect them. Once they believe you will protect them, they'll accept every depredation as being for their safety.

It's a simple and effective formula that has worked throughout history.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #18
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I, _KEN_, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; THAT I TAKE THIS OBLIGATION FREELY, WITHOUT ANY MENTAL RESERVATION OR PURPOSE OF EVASION; AND THAT I WILL WELL AND FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THESE DUTIES; SO HELP ME GOD.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well .. The sun beats down on them real hard in Arizona.

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
PorterStarrByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post

A) Power.

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #21
vsrenard
Troubles a star

vsrenard is a shiny, shiny jewelvsrenard is a shiny, shiny jewel
The God part is patently ridiculous, and offensive, but I find having to swear to uphold the Constitution equally so. Effectively they are telling students not to challenge laws they see as wrong and cloaking it in patriotism.

Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
vsrenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #22
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to behold
I can only imagine how most of my students would react.

"Uhm, sir? Who is this God-dude?
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Apparently they're going straight from the Prom to Boot Camp.
That's exactly what I thought!

Oh for crying out loud. I love it when state legislators have a state that's in such great shape they have nothing else better to do. /sarcsasm

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Meermans View Post
“No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” ~ Edmund Burke

First, you take a contented populace, then you make them fearful. You tell them of the dangers that surround them. You tell them of those who would destroy their way of life, their very beliefs. You begin to put faces to those dangers. You never let up until every face they see is that of a potential enemy. Then, when their fear is great enough, you tell them you have the answer and that you can protect them. Once they believe you will protect them, they'll accept every depredation as being for their safety.

It's a simple and effective formula that has worked throughout history.
That all sounds eerily familiar. Have you read Michael Crichton's State of Fear? I swear there's a professor or similar who makes almost that identical speech at one point.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
MattW
Company Man

MattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
[Godwin]

How long before they are asked to swear to defend the person of the Fuhrer Rush?