Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
President Obama to resign...over lip synching?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...c-scandal.html

At least, Rand Paul wants him too.

...apparently.

Please, please tell me this is a joke.

Quote:
“By lip-synching the national anthem, Beyoncé has cast a dark cloud over the President’s second term,” said Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky). “The only way President Obama can remove that cloud is by resigning from office at once.”

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
cornflake
practical experience, FTW

cornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post

...apparently.

Heh, yes, it's a joke. It's a satirical column.
cornflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

...apparently.

Who's Zoomin' Who?

Resigning over a singer faking the National Anthem? Silly. Now if he were resigning over his faking respect for the Constitution...

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I couldn't care less about Beyonce lip-syncing. The debate I'm really interested in is whether it's "lip-syncing" or "lip-synching." (It's the former. I am also prepared to have a fight over whether it's "mike" or "mic".)
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
nighttimer
I say what you only think.

nighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

...apparently.

Andy Borowitz is a satirist.

Some of his other stories include:
Republicans Accuse Obama of Using Position as President to Lead Country

This is a joke.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is as good as your knowledge."
~ Isaac Asimov

I only debate my equals, all others I teach.
~ Dr. John Henrik Clarke

Unapologetic. Vainglorious. Multifarious. Just Audacious. @The Domino Theory
nighttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
THANK

GOD

I was...seriously concerned for a second there.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Kaiser-Kun
!

Kaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I knew he was up to something when he took that oath.
Kaiser-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I couldn't care less about Beyonce lip-syncing. The debate I'm really interested in is whether it's "lip-syncing" or "lip-synching." (It's the former. I am also prepared to have a fight over whether it's "mike" or "mic".)
I want in on this fight too. Is it possible this is a geographical issue (UK English vs US English) or is there a hard, fast rule over "mike" and "mic?"

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What's sad is we have become so divided as a country and some of the criticisms by each side have become so bizarre and often ignorant, that an article like this no longer is recognized as satire.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
It's lip-synching, and mic.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Torgo
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post
It's lip-synching, and mic.
Wrong and wrong!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
Torgo
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda Nightingale View Post
I want in on this fight too. Is it possible this is a geographical issue (UK English vs US English) or is there a hard, fast rule over "mike" and "mic?"
There are lots better reasons to use 'mike' than to use 'mic', not least the plural 'mikes' and verb forms like 'miked'. You didn't see Lance Armstrong cheating his way to victory in a bunch of bic races.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I use mic because my sound equipment, from the microphone to the mixer to the instructions that state what kind of plugin I am to be using (XLR if you must know), use mic even for the verb. The past tense to the verb is miked.
Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
Torgo
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I use mic because my sound equipment, from the microphone to the mixer to the instructions that state what kind of plugin I am to be using (XLR if you must know), use mic even for the verb. The past tense to the verb is miked.
Your sound equipment is bad and it should feel bad.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Your sound equipment is bad and it should feel bad.
My sound equipment has feelings! Are you going to mock my synth because it demarcates the plugin for the mic for the vocoder as voc? Because it too has feelings!
Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mike, Mic, Mike! Doesn't anybody care about Joe Biden's shin splints?

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I love it when an otherwise throw-able-away-able thread of the "oops, never mind!" variety here in P&CE turns into an ain't-it-cool-that-we're-all-writers? thread.

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #18
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Actually, lip synching (however you spell it) is serious business, or it was in my day. I'm old enough to remember when someone lost a Grammy over it.

When I was young we sang our way to school and back, going up the scales both ways.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #19
Bookewyrme
Imagined half of it.

Bookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
THANK

GOD

I was...seriously concerned for a second there.
Zoombie, don't feel bad. I saw it promoted on Facebook, and totally thought it was for real too. I ran straight over here to see what ya'll had to say, and am equally relieved that it's satire!!

Now, the real debate is whether it's 'ya'll' or 'y'all'!
Bookewyrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
TreeJet
lost in wild thought

TreeJet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wrong and wrong!
Hmm, this is a good one. I would say mic it is a shortened version of microphone. Mike is a shorthand for Micheal.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #21
J.S.F.

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Back in the day, Milli Vanilli--does anyone remember them?--got lambasted for lip-synching. (Yes, I used an extra letter. Sue me.)

Nowadays, it's de rigeur to use it.

I think the Prez has far more issues to spend...er...contemplate.
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
RichardGarfinkle
Shipping Tropos
AW Moderator

RichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
Back in the day, Milli Vanilli--does anyone remember them?--got lambasted for lip-synching. (Yes, I used an extra letter. Sue me.)

Nowadays, it's de rigeur to use it.

I think the Prez has far more issues to spend...er...contemplate.
Milli Vanilli didn't do their own singing. They were lip syncing to other people's vocals.

That's arguably different from lip syncing to a studio recording of your own voice.

Overdue Considerations -- my blog

Now on Smashwords

Last edited by RichardGarfinkle; 01-26-2013 at 03:51 AM.
RichardGarfinkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #23
J.S.F.

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGarfinkle View Post
Milli Vanilli didn't do their own singing. They were lio syncing to other people's vocals.

That's arguably different from lip syncing to a studio recording of your own voice.
---

Izzat so? I stand corrected, then, and thank you.

(But they still sucked).
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #24
RichardGarfinkle
Shipping Tropos
AW Moderator

RichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
---

Izzat so? I stand corrected, then, and thank you.

(But they still sucked).
Well, yeah.

Overdue Considerations -- my blog

Now on Smashwords
RichardGarfinkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #25
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It made me sad to find out that the same guy who gave us Boney M later gave us Milli Vanilli -- Frank Farian.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote