Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Romance/Women's Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
zeragon7
practical experience, FTW

zeragon7 is on a distinguished road
Male in Chick-Lit class....help!

Okay so I'm a fool who apparently ignores subtitles and accidentally enrolled in a chick-lit class which I thought was simply "topics after 1900" in American literature. Class starts in about 15 minutes and I have no idea what kind of stuff to expect. I don't think there's an option of switching to a different class this late in the game, so I'm looking to tough it out. I'm certainly open to learning about different genres than I'm used to, but this could be a stretch. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
alleycat
Trick or . . . trick?
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tell them you want to be the next Nicholas Sparks.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
zeragon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Tell them you want to be the next Nicholas Sparks.
Thanks for the laugh I'm in the classroom now and actually have seen two other guys so far...not sure if they're in here knowingly or if they made the same mistake as me yet. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
alleycat
Trick or . . . trick?
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This might be an excellent way to meet women.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
julie_a_w
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

julie_a_w is on a distinguished road
Sounds like an interesting class to me! At least you're not the only guy.
julie_a_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Sheluvspink
IA-Romance Editing at 84,000k

Sheluvspink is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the beginning of a great story It probably won't be that bad.
Sheluvspink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
zeragon7

Thanks for the positive thoughts guys! I actually think I'm going to enjoy it. I thought people would look at me weird and shy away from me, but I felt very warmly accepted. Engaging conversations.....should be an interesting perspective at the very least.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And by the end, maybe you'll have special insight into women!

Maryn, ever hopeful
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like a great place to gather pick-up lines that might actually work.

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
PorterStarrByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
WhatTheWhat
PRing my little heart out

WhatTheWhat is on a distinguished road
When I was in college, two guys signed up for the Women in Fiction class. They thought they were going to be able to bag chicks that way. They might have, if they'd spent more time listening and less time talking over the women and being condescending. They certainly got an education that semester, but I don't think it was quite what they had been hoping for.

So listen, observe, absorb, learn--and then you'll have a kickass insight into women that men would kill to have. And enjoy the literature!

Why, yes, I do have a blog. How kind of you to ask.
WhatTheWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #11
calieber
Couth barbarian

calieber is a shiny, shiny jewelcalieber is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheWhat View Post
When I was in college, two guys signed up for the Women in Fiction class. They thought they were going to be able to bag chicks that way. They might have, if they'd spent more time listening and less time talking over the women and being condescending. They certainly got an education that semester, but I don't think it was quite what they had been hoping for.
Learning that the rule "listen when other people are talking" doesn't continue "... but women don't count as people" probably will help someone "bag chicks," though.

Projects for 2014:
Redo from start Those who Favor Fire
calieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You want to enjoy this class?
Then take the time to ask and answer this single question:

Why aren't there 'Men's Lit' classes listed in the catalog?

If you can think that through and still manage to keep your temper in check...

You'll do fine.

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Sadly, the forum moderator is too deep into his scotch tonight to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Samantha Lane

Samantha Lane is a shiny, shiny jewelSamantha Lane is a shiny, shiny jewel
So I'm curious how the first week in chick-lit went.
Samantha Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
gcsalamon
Gina

gcsalamon is on a distinguished road
If nothing else, it should help you with writing your female characters.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
zeragon7

So....woah this thread is old, but I just saw some posts that I hadn't seen previously and felt bad for never getting back to this thread. Anywho, I just wanted to let everyone know that the class actually ended up being my favorite class of the semester/one of my favorite of all time. Can't express how much gratitude I have for lucking out with such a great professor and such an enjoyable class!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #16
Hildegarde
A newb in the fog

Hildegarde is well-respected
Thanks for popping back in. I always wondered if you finished the course.

Socialite Meets Soccer Dad - Free on Kindle Unlimited
IrenePreston.com Read a Free Chapter

Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest
Hildegarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
A_McGowan
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

A_McGowan is on a distinguished road
Aww, I can't believe I only just saw this! We're doing feminism in literature at the moment, and we've a really feminist teacher.
There are two blokes in the class. And they're being more 'feminist' than I am. :P Do you think that you would try writing Chicklit now, or not?
A_McGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
zeragon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_McGowan View Post
Aww, I can't believe I only just saw this! We're doing feminism in literature at the moment, and we've a really feminist teacher.
There are two blokes in the class. And they're being more 'feminist' than I am. :P Do you think that you would try writing Chicklit now, or not?
Ha, that's awesome! It was really crazy to see myself get so passionate about engaging with feminist scholars and to see how much my world view was rocked over the course of the semester. One of our "quizzes" was to write a short Chicklit story (it was mostly for fun because she knew there were several writers in the class) and that was an interesting experience for me. I definitely think I'll be writing a Chicklit novella or novel in the future.