Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
WriterDude
Going grey.

WriterDude has a spectacular aura
Dictionary of grunts?

Is there a list anywhere of the grunty uhh ugh hmm grr type sounds our characters might use? Struggling a bit here.

WriterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Orianna2000
Freelance Writer

Orianna2000 is a splendid one to beholdOrianna2000 is a splendid one to beholdOrianna2000 is a splendid one to behold
Under "grunt," The Flip Dictionary (my favorite thesaurus) lists "groan" and "snort." Not sure if that's helpful to you.

If you're looking for sounds that aren't words, it's usually better to avoid those. Occasionally, a well-placed, "Ugh!" will serve you well. But most of the time, you're better off with a detailed description instead. For example:

His eyes bulged, his face turned red, and he made a sound like a woman during the transitional phase of labor. I guess he didn't like my critique of his novel.

The groan that came out of his throat sounded like a cross between a mating baboon and a dying gorilla. Time to run for my life.

Orianna2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I certainly hope there is no such dictionary that would encourage writers to use more and varied phonetic sounds in their writing.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category

Last edited by NeuroFizz; 01-23-2013 at 02:27 AM.
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
quicklime
Tucson Dec 2nd--Seattle...?

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroFizz View Post
I certainly hope there is no such dictionary that would encourge writers to use more and varied phonetic sounds in their writing.

qft

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroFizz View Post
I certainly hope there is no such dictionary that would encourge writers to use more and varied phonetic sounds in their writing.
Pfft!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
WriterDude
Going grey.

WriterDude has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orianna2000 View Post
Under "grunt," The Flip Dictionary (my favorite thesaurus) lists "groan" and "snort." Not sure if that's helpful to you.

If you're looking for sounds that aren't words, it's usually better to avoid those. Occasionally, a well-placed, "Ugh!" will serve you well. But most of the time, you're better off with a detailed description instead. For example:

His eyes bulged, his face turned red, and he made a sound like a woman during the transitional phase of labor. I guess he didn't like my critique of his novel.

The groan that came out of his throat sounded like a cross between a mating baboon and a dying gorilla. Time to run for my life.

My characters aren't a very articulate bunch, and in my quest for realistic dialogue, a grunt or tut is about the best they can plausibly muster. Often its just a roll of eyes, a curl of lip or a two fingered hand gesture.

I worry that detailed sound descriptions might get a bit old as I try to find a unique simile for each. Giving it a go though.

Regards

WriterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #7
quicklime
Tucson Dec 2nd--Seattle...?

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
they will sound odd if you have whole pages of "ungh?" "Gah." "OOOh, ungh..." because it's painful and doesn't tell us anything useful.

Try a new spelling each time, and it will be just as painful, and look like you have commitment issues.

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
Elusive Wanderer
figuring it all out

Elusive Wanderer is on a distinguished road
Grumbled? I think this would work if you are grunting while speaking.
Elusive Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Rufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Is there a list anywhere of the grunty uhh ugh hmm grr type sounds our characters might use? Struggling a bit here.
The publication of "The Oxford Dictionary of Grunts and Ugly Sounds" has been aborted until further notice.

According to my sources at Oxford it would have included such priceless gems as:

guuwhaaaaaa'kh - the first retching groan uttered by someone just winded by a punch to the stomach

also hnnggggaaaawohrrooooowwwwwnggggngngnaaaakh - the sound uttered by an inconsiderate bastard who is trying to defaecate whilst constipated

Last edited by Rufus Coppertop; 01-23-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Rufus Coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Sparklederp
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Sparklederp is on a distinguished road
I can't tell if the concept of such a dictionary is hilarious or terrifying. I kinda want one.
Sparklederp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Lycoplax
practical experience, FTW

Lycoplax is well-respected
If I come across a difficult sound to describe, I make the sound myself. I find that hearing it out loud helps me figure out how best to write it.

Stationed in Japan and loving it!
Lycoplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Are there really enough different types of grunts for a dictionary? A grunt is pretty much a grunt, isn't it?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #13
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Rufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
Are there really enough different types of grunts for a dictionary?
The Oxford dons obviously had second thoughts.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #14
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Coppertop View Post
The Oxford dons obviously had second thoughts.

Enough different thoughts for an entire dictionary? A grunt is a grunt, and if you write it more than one way, readers are either going to think you're bonkers, or you'll have to explain that, hey, this is a grunt, but a different kind of grunt.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #15
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
...and orgasms should be written as, "ung, ung, ung, ung, uuuunnnng, gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh." Or something similar.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #16
Chase
'Ear, 'ear!

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Are there really enough different types of grunts for a dictionary? A grunt is pretty much a grunt, isn't it?

Quote:
Enough different thoughts for an entire dictionary? A grunt is a grunt, and if you write it more than one way, readers are either going to think you're bonkers, or you'll have to explain that, hey, this is a grunt, but a different kind of grunt.
Don't give up, Rufus. If at first you don't succeed, spoof, spoof again.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #17
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Quote:
Now obviously you do have a point. I mean, let's face it...a dictionary like that was never going to be anywhere near as long as the Shorter Oxford English dictionary.

They had collected, compiled or come up with enough grunts and noises for at least a few hundred pages though. That's my understanding. I seriously wish they'd go through with it.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #18
Chase
'Ear, 'ear!

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Now obviously you do have a point. I mean, let's face it...a dictionary like that was never going to be anywhere near as long as the Shorter Oxford English dictionary.

They had collected, compiled or come up with enough grunts and noises for at least a few hundred pages though. That's my understanding. I seriously wish they'd go through with it.
Way to hang in there! With NeuroFizz's gratuitus sex sounds thrown in, this could be a SuperBowl ad by February 3.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #19
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Way to hang in there! With NeuroFizz's gratuitus sex sounds thrown in, this could be a SuperBowl ad by February 3.

Maybe we should start such a dictionary. Here's another offering for starters.

Hwooor Gaw!
- the sound made by a person of uncouth disposition whilst hanging out of a passing car, ogling at a woman he deems attractive.

Last edited by Rufus Coppertop; 01-24-2013 at 01:51 AM. Reason: damn typos!
Rufus Coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #20
Kittens Starburst

Kittens Starburst is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Maybe we should start such a dictionary. Here's another offering for starters.

Hwooor Gaw!
- the sound made by a person of uncouth disposition whilst hanging out of a passing car, ogling at a woman he deems attractive.
You must write this dictionary! I'm pledging a fiver up front for my copy and I haven't even read the Amazon review yet. You have an incredible ear for grunts.
Kittens Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #21
ElaineA
Back in the saddle

ElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, boy, I'm bracing for a torching but there actually IS a website of such words. I know because I used it (judiciously) during NaNoWriMo. When you're under the 30 day deadline, you do crazy things. What can I say? Although, I have to admit that if I'd thought to come to AW for such assistance, I might have gotten several more creative options. Fortunately, I wasn't using such "words" for my characters' couplings because I think my fingers would have gotten tired typing all of those letters.

ANY hoo, I am new and uncertain as to the protocol of pasting website links into posts on AW and, try though I did, I couldn't find the answer in the FAQs, so WriterDude, if you want to PM me, I can give you the link. I don't think I would be doing you TOO terrible a disservice, although I definitely agree, they should be used sparingly.
ElaineA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #22
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittens Starburst View Post
You must write this dictionary! I'm pledging a fiver up front for my copy and I haven't even read the Amazon review yet. You have an incredible ear for grunts.
Uh oh! I see work looming on the horizon.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #23
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
ANY hoo, I am new and uncertain as to the protocol of pasting website links into posts on AW
It's never been a problem. People do it all the time.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #24
ElaineA
Back in the saddle

ElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
It's never been a problem. People do it all the time.
Thanks, Rufus. It's a big world in here.
ElaineA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #25
Kittens Starburst

Kittens Starburst is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Uh oh! I see work looming on the horizon.
You could do a whole series. Work your grunts into different languages, 'Grunts of the World'. Tourists could carry handy pocket-sized grunt guides and know how to grunt in foreign countries without causing offence to locals. They could consult them on those many, many occasions where only a grunt will do, such as falling downstairs.

Then you could branch out to pet grunts, grunts of the farmyard, grunts of the rainforests ... you could really go places with this.
Kittens Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote