Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
srgalactica
practical experience, FTW

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
Significant Others as Beta Readers, Critters, etc

I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I'm not asking this question because of any issues, but simply out of curiosity about other people's experience.

Does your significant other read your work and what has been your experience? Do they beta read, critique, etc? Are they also writers?

My boyfriend and I read and crit each others work, although I would say that he is better at critting things like story plausibility and such and I'm better at critting grammar, spelling, etc.

srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewelAshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewel
I wish. My boyfriend refuses to read anything I write because he is picky. He barely picks up books. He did tell me if I wrote something sci-fi he might. Not that I would ever want him critting anything but concept.

No support on that front. Oh well.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My husband beta reads my books. He's not great at catching grammatical errors, but he's pretty awesome at catching plot holes. I got him and an AW-er to beta read my second draft and so far their comments have been really similar...to the point where they've highlighted the exact same sentence, which is pretty uncanny (in a good way ).

ETA: He's not a writer, he's a physicist.

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
crunchyblanket
the Juggernaut of Imperfection

crunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I always let Mr Crunchy read what I've written. But he's not a beta - he's not a writer himself, but he does read, and getting his perspective as a reader can be really valuable. I give him a blue highlighter and ask him to mark the points at which he starts to get bored.

My short story "When Charlie Sleeps" is in Best British Horror 2014. Buy it. It'll make you happier and sexier.

crunchyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
quicklime
I make a terrible fluffer

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think the idea is often a very bad one. Not because it can't work (my wife betas) but because it takes the right kind of "fit".....and at least half the folks who think they have that fit going in find out that they do not. Usually the hard way. Maybe not hard enough to split up, but hard enough to have some hurt feelings and a wasted exercise.

I am not saying this can't work....as I said, I do it. Stephen King does it. But a lot of folks can not. Be aware (not confident, aware) of if you can handle it or not.

as for the rest: my wife is not a writer. But I don't like fluffery, and whatever she DOES catch, I get zero slack on. Again, you can see where this could be an issue though, either if she held back or if I wasn't ready for that level of honesty. Since I am/she is, we work. well. I still seek input elsewhere for construction though, she's there to tell me if the story seems long, boring, implausible, and other broader strokes.

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
RedRam
It's a dog-eat-waffle world.

RedRam is on a distinguished road
My better isn't into the kind of stories I write, so I don't look to her for that kind of feedback - also we're both pretty passive when it comes to critiquing each other. She is, on the other hand, a grammatical genius. She loves proofreading and I love not looking like an idiot, so she does help me out with that side of the effort.
RedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
srgalactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklime View Post
I think the idea is often a very bad one. Not because it can't work (my wife betas) but because it takes the right kind of "fit".....and at least half the folks who think they have that fit going in find out that they do not. Usually the hard way. Maybe not hard enough to split up, but hard enough to have some hurt feelings and a wasted exercise.

I am not saying this can't work....as I said, I do it. Stephen King does it. But a lot of folks can not. Be aware (not confident, aware) of if you can handle it or not.

as for the rest: my wife is not a writer. But I don't like fluffery, and whatever she DOES catch, I get zero slack on. Again, you can see where this could be an issue though, either if she held back or if I wasn't ready for that level of honesty. Since I am/she is, we work. well. I still seek input elsewhere for construction though, she's there to tell me if the story seems long, boring, implausible, and other broader strokes.
My bf and I have the 'fit' as you say. I love his input, but can't use him for checking on punctuation, grammar, etc because he's not great at that. I'm the one that catches those issues in *his* writing.

My only problem is me thinking, "Well, he's my boyfriend, of course he's going to tell me my writing is good." So, I can't automatically trust his praise. That's why I think it's good if you do have a significant other crit your work, you have someone not related to you crit it as well.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The only other individual in my household is a dog. He would only take an interest in my book if I wrapped it around a piece of bacon.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Nope. And he is not a writer, though he is a regular reader. But he does not read the genres I write. Even if he did...I dunno, I have trouble seeing it working in our case. I do occasionally ask him a grammar question.
LJD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My hubby isn't a writer, or much of a reader. He has zero interest in reading anything I've written.

I'm kinda envious of people who can share their writing with their partners.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My husband doesn't read fiction almost at all, but somehow he's the most tremendous first-line beta-reader. He's also incredibly supportive and involved in the progress of my work. I'm very, very lucky.
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
Dreity

Dreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of light
My husband can look at my work and tell me if it's entertaining or not, and he can spot sentence level stuff well, but he says it's often difficult to comment on the subjective, higher level craft stuff. We've discovered that it's much easier for him if he reads someone else's crit first. This way the task is less "Find something wrong with this!" and more "Do you agree with this? Why or why not?"

We've played co-op computer games together for years, so we're used to having conversations focused on how one of us can improve on a given thing.

My Blog. Longer stuff, but still trying to cut down.
Dreity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Chase
AW benefactor & vice versa

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My girlfriend is a willing beta reader when I need a "Perfect, dear. Who woudn't love it?"

Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgalactica View Post

My only problem is me thinking, "Well, he's my boyfriend, of course he's going to tell me my writing is good."
Wait till you marry him. Then he'll tell you the truth.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
srgalactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
Wait till you marry him. Then he'll tell you the truth.
Ah...welcome to my strange life. I've known him for 13 years. We were married for 2 years, then got divorced because we both realized we needed our own space (as in, living situation) as we're both very lone wolf about how we live. But we realized we didn't want to be without the other, so we've stayed together as a weird soulmate, BF/GF, weirdness situation.

It doesn't work for everyone. It doesn't work for most people, I'm sure. But it works for us.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #16
Springs2
space opera-popcorn lover!

Springs2 has a spectacular auraSprings2 has a spectacular aura
Mine read my first, but now i have a circle of writing betas is lesscinclined to do so. But he talks about plots with me, gives me ideas and is my sounding board. He knowd more about them than anyone, inc. the betas.

He is very homest and tells me when it is shit. He also reminds me i am great to try it.

Abendau's Child, book one of the Abendau trilogy, due for release Autumn 2014 from Tickety-boo press.
Springs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #17
benluby

benluby has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Ah...welcome to my strange life. I've known him for 13 years. We were married for 2 years, then got divorced because we both realized we needed our own space (as in, living situation) as we're both very lone wolf about how we live. But we realized we didn't want to be without the other, so we've stayed together as a weird soulmate, BF/GF, weirdness situation.

It doesn't work for everyone. It doesn't work for most people, I'm sure. But it works for us.
I've been married to my wife for over thirty years and I'd rather pull teeth using C-4 than tell her something upsetting.
benluby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #18
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
No family for me. In a way they are supportive - which is great - but I think that if I ask them, they may just say its good and not really criticise it.

A good beta reader is my friend as she is picky, hates spelling/grammatical errors and reads enough that I can trust what she has to say.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #19
Mutive
Blissfully Clueless

Mutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't think that I'd trust my SO for beta reading. I might run certain technical facts by him, but that's about it.

With that said, I use my little brother as a beta. Then again, he also writes and we have close enough styles that it works. So friends and family can work.
Mutive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #20
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Quote:

Hey, I think that's great. Have a similar thing in my family. Parents divorced when I was two, remarried when I was nine, after my mother had married and divorced another guy, whom I ran into by chance 20 years later, thousands of miles away, (we actually worked on the same floor in the same LA skyscraper) My birth parents had 10 relatively good years in between before it fell apart again. Suffice it to say that I had, have, a very conflicted view of marriage that effected my choices along those lines. I ran out in my 20's and got married and divorced twice to prove (I hope subconsciously) just how little respect I had for the institution. I'm legally married now, but my wife and I were committed long before our wedding day. She could leave me tomorrow and I'd still love her. And yes, she has a keen eye for this stuff. She is my biggest fan and harshest critic. So merciless it's funny.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #21
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Don reads some of my stuff, and I'm always grateful for the feedback, but I don't put him in the category of beta reader or critique person. He's just interested in what I write (and very supportive).

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #22
TheaBlowsKisses
steaming up the e-readers

TheaBlowsKisses is on a distinguished road
My husband has never read a word I've written, and I'm 100% okay with that. He likes historical fiction (and non-fiction), and I write sci-fi/fantasy erotica. Some of our friends and family members express disbelief when they find out he's never read any of my books, but as I said, I don't have a problem with it.

(However, I specifically told my mother that if she reads anything I wrote, we ARE NOT discussing it and I DO NOT want to know.)

thealanden.blogspot.com
TheaBlowsKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #23
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My wife has shown no interest in my writing. Which is fine by me. She's not a writer and I think if she did read it then offered suggestions, I'd get pretty upset. "What the hell do you know?"

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #24
ap123
Twitching

ap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My husband (not a writer, and rarely reads any fiction) does read my work on occasion, usually when I'm either super excited and feel the need to have someone read RIGHT NOW, or when I'm sure each word is a dung smudge.

Sometimes he offers helpful insights/suggestions, but more often I either don't believe his praise or feel incredibly hurt and pissed (in a way I never would from someone else's crit) that he didn't like the work.

Try it, you might like it. Blogging life in the big city with Mrs Fringe.
ap123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #25
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My husband is an avid reader of everything. Voracious. He reads my stuff and tells me honestly what he sees working and not working. Always prefacing his crits with "I'll tell you the truth," always letting me down gently after with, "This is my opinion, remember that." Yep. So, no line-by-line or any of that, but he's given me some great suggestions and called me on some things. I value his feedback and have made revisions--some, significant--based on stuff he's brought to the fore.
He smiled.
“You got a fucking death wish or something?”
“Something,” he said.
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote