Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Nonfiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
abluerwhite
Rock n' Roll Doggie

abluerwhite is on a distinguished road
Celebrity Biography

Say you're working with a celebrity to write a memoir, how much would you ask for? Not as a ghost writer, would it be normal to ask for half of everything?
abluerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
Ruth2
Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda

Ruth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthood
It depends on a lot of factors. Do you know the celebrity personally? If so, how well? Have you been published before? If so, what is your track record?

Lots of variables.

Screaming into the wind...
Ruth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Also how much "everything" is there likely to be. If the celebrity plans to sell publish and wait for money to flow in, I'd be more inclined to ask for a minimum amount in advance.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
JournoWriter
Just the facts, please

JournoWriter has a spectacular aura
How much work will you actually be doing? Will the celeb be writing some sections? Will you be interviewing him/her and turning the result into recognizable English?

Consider that the book wouldn't exist without the celeb, so my knee-jerk response would be that the celeb would probably demand 60+%.
JournoWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Given that the book certainly wouldn't exist without a writer, mine would be the opposite.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
abluerwhite
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I know her personally. She approached me and asked me to do it. I'm actually a young writer so this would be my first published book. I have other published works as a journalist but that's it.

She emails me the information I need and I'm turning it into a novel. Really, all of the words are mine. Since I'm doing all of the work I felt that we should split royalties and such 50/50.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
JournoWriter
Just the facts, please

JournoWriter has a spectacular aura
A novel?

The time to discuss such things is before you start writing - and you need to get it in writing. However, if you have a good amount done, she may find it more convenient to agree to your terms than to start over with someone new whom she does not know.

I'm not saying a 60-40 deal would be fair, just that I could see someone demanding it.
JournoWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #8
abluerwhite
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes. I plan on meeting with her. And she isn't going to find a new writer.
I was just seeing if 50/50 is fair.