Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Mark Moore
practical experience, FTW

Mark Moore has a spectacular aura
Setting a body on fire after pouring alcohol on it

In one of my current WIP (Vampire Killer #02), there's a scene where the MCs are fighting a vampire, and their holy water gets wasted, so MC #1 goes to the fridge, gets out a flavored malt beverage (a "wine cooler" without actual wine), pours it on the vamp, and sets him on fire. He'll then burst into flames and get destroyed. How plausible is this? These drinks are typically around 11.2 fluid ounces, 3.2% of which is alcohol. Would that be enough, or would she need something stronger?

Complete:

Becoming a Hero (10 stories)

WIP:

Vanity City #01 (2939/20000)
The New Girl (5047)
I Can Kill You With My Brain (238)
Vampire Killer #04 (of 08) (4630)
Blackjack Jill #04 (of 10) (630)
Destined #04 (of 10?) (editing)

Cute girls must not die in fiction!

Amazon Author Page Facebook Twitter YouTube
Mark Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
NOPE...those type of drinks are more water than alcohol.

You need something at least 80 proof or higher...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If she's got time to get to the fridge, then I have to assume fang-face is incapacitated. Why not just set his clothes on fire? Otherwise, she'll need to grab hard liquor or some sort of flammable cleaner from under the sink.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
RedRam
It's a dog-eat-waffle world.

RedRam is on a distinguished road
Historical note. The term 'proof' developed to prove that there was booze in something. I think 80 proof is about where you get certainty of fire. In ye olde days, folks would try to light things on fire to prove that there was alcohol in it, if it lit that was proof.
RedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
James simpson

James simpson is on a distinguished road
I don't know if you can work it in but pure methanol burns without a flame, so maybe your MC grabs a bottle of mentholated spirits. At the very least it would be fun trying to describe the vampire burning alive without any visible fire.
James simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
crème brûlée torch

Pam in a can

This is flammable. No, I'm not going to tell you how I know.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Charcoal lighter fluid. Diesel. Grab a can of WD-40 or spray paint or old-fashioned aerosol hairspray, and light the spray stream with your bic for an impromptu flame-thrower...

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
crème brûlée torch

Pam in a can

This is flammable. No, I'm not going to tell you how I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
Charcoal lighter fluid. Diesel. Grab a can of WD-40 or spray paint or old-fashioned aerosol hairspray, and light the spray stream with your bic for an impromptu flame-thrower...
I can't help but wonder how our two top ladies are so knowledgeable and so suddenly responded within minutes of each other.

Had to get rid of a troll again, huh?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've lit all of the things on my list at least once. And a bunch of other stuff I dismiss as being not particularly practical under the described circumstances, like phosphorous.

I was a total firebug kind of a kid (and did a lot of props and special effects work for college theater).

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm not sure - I've tried to set fire to tequila a couple of times and it didn't take (don't ask, student days).

I think you're better off with something like drain cleaner, aerosols like furniture polish or deordorant would work too - like a mini flame thrower, but the risk of burning yourself is quite high. As others have said, meths works well too.

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com
shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
King Neptune
God of the Oceans

King Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admiration
Another p[roblem with using alcohol is that alcohol flame is not very hot. Even if you used 151 rum, the vampire might just have some burned hair and clothes (clothes might just get cleaned instead). Petroleum distillates are much better for burning things.

A wooden spoon through the heart would be more likely to kill a vampire.

Last edited by King Neptune; 01-18-2013 at 07:52 PM.
King Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
cbenoi1
Travelling around the sun

cbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for President
Fondue fuel.

-cb
cbenoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Vampire...wooden spatula through the heart...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We used to blowtorch cockroaches with Right Guard when I was in the navy. Never did set the room on fire or blow up a can in the hand.

Alcohol, in the form of 80 proof or better seems much more likely to be within reach though.

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
PorterStarrByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
jclarkdawe
Feeling lucky, Query?

jclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't know how well vampires burn. But humans don't burn very well. A gallon of gas, lighter fluid, et cetera, are not likely to cause immediate death, although the prognosis for ultimate survival would not be high. You're looking at gallons (plural) of gasoline to result in definite death within minutes. And people have been known to run while totally engulfed in flames. Human skin is a good insulator of heat and for quick death, you need to raise core temperature significantly.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

GEORGE'S STORY MORTON'S FORK Let's see how many agents I can catch with the query

THE NEXT STEP ASHES TO ASHES INTO THE VALLEY (48,00079,000 words) Need to up my game.

THE PICTURE Might be my next project.
jclarkdawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
lbender

lbender is a shiny, shiny jewellbender is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post

Anyone who's ever seen the original Buffy movie knows this.
lbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
dirtsider
Not so new, really

dirtsider is a glorious beacon of lightdirtsider is a glorious beacon of lightdirtsider is a glorious beacon of light
FYI - when dealing with alcohol, proof = 2x actual percentage of amount of alcohol. So something that's 80 proof would be considered to have 40% alcohol.
dirtsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Mark Moore

Mark Moore has a spectacular aura
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I think I'm gonna go with the can of Pam (or I might say "cooking spray" to avoid any potential legal problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
Vampire...wooden spatula through the heart...
Hehe. The problem with that is my series is sticking closer to actual vampire mythology, and I've read that wooden stakes merely serve to hold the vampire in place, and you have to kill them via another method.

Complete:

Becoming a Hero (10 stories)

WIP:

Vanity City #01 (2939/20000)
The New Girl (5047)
I Can Kill You With My Brain (238)
Vampire Killer #04 (of 08) (4630)
Blackjack Jill #04 (of 10) (630)
Destined #04 (of 10?) (editing)

Cute girls must not die in fiction!

Amazon Author Page Facebook Twitter YouTube
Mark Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Sarpedon
Banned

Sarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputation
That is semicorrect. The stake has a both literal and symbolic function. Since vampires are magic, the symbolic is just as important, as magic is all about symbolism.

The preferred method of actually killing the vampire is decapitation. apparently both are necessary. Perhaps the body could retrieve the head if not nailed down. I've never read that, but it seems to follow.
Sarpedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, if she's desperate enough to do something really stupid, she could grab ammonia and bleach from under the sink and douse the guy. You'll end up creating Hydrochloric acid on the surface of his skin (highly corrosive), but it will also make a highly toxic gas, so she'd have to get out of the room really fast and hold her breath.

Another consideration is that anything aerosol - cooking spray included - can be used to make a fire sprayer if she holds a lighter in the stream. Just make sure she lets go of the lighter before she lets go of the sprayer.

If you're going old school, then consider the toxicity of silver to vampires. Heirloom dinnerware, maybe granny's silver serving set, will have pure silver knives in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
That is semicorrect. The stake has a both literal and symbolic function. Since vampires are magic, the symbolic is just as important, as magic is all about symbolism.

The preferred method of actually killing the vampire is decapitation. apparently both are necessary. Perhaps the body could retrieve the head if not nailed down. I've never read that, but it seems to follow.
It's not actually. Vampires as "magic" isn't part of the older lore at all. Vampires were bodies without spirits (which is why they cast no reflection). In other cultures, they're other things/

The decapitation part came along somewhere around the dark ages, as did the idea of the stake (read up on Dom. Augustin Calmet and his treatises involving the story of a supposed vampire who thanked him for the stake in the heart as it gave him something to beat the dogs off his grave with). In those instances, even decap. wasn't enough - you had to fill the mouth and neck with garlic and bury the body in a lead-lined coffin.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
Sarpedon
Banned

Sarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputation
By 'magic' I meant supernatural. Manipulating the supernatural is called 'magic,' and yes, it does involve symbolism. Vampires are repelled by crosses, which are symbols.

Frankly, the idea that there is some kind of authoritative canon for this sort of thing is a bit silly. An author can pick or choose which legends or popular beliefs he or she wishes, or make them up. I was merely remarking on the universality of belief in the use of symbols to perform magic.
Sarpedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
If you're going old school, then consider the toxicity of silver to vampires. Heirloom dinnerware, maybe granny's silver serving set, will have pure silver knives in them.
Sorry for going OT - do you have any sources for silver against vampires pre 20th C? First I heard of it was Blade, which obviously isn't a "traditional" vampire story.

I grew up with silver being just for werewolves, but now it seems to be for vampires too, and I'm curious if it has any basis in the traditional European myths.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #23
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Silver was considered a blood cleansing agent. Any "evil" said to be tied to or carried in the blood was thought to be cured, killed or repelled by silver. It's also tied to Romanian legends/beliefs in the mystical power of "pure" metals and has been a part of the lore from eastern Europe for centuries.

ETA -- I may be wrong about this one, but IIRC, the caveat about the cross hurting a vampire was that it had to be one made of pure silver. Over time, that part of the myth eroded. (i.e. -- it was the cross that repelled the vampire, but the silver that burned it.)

Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #24
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks Cyia.

Crosses as vampire-repellant largely grew from Christian rebuttals of the legends, and silver sounds pre-Christian - it's possible that they converged before diverging again?

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #25
cbenoi1
Travelling around the sun

cbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for President
*opens notepad, picks a pen. 'Silver is good also against vampires'. Puts away the pad and the pen. Goes back to WIP.*

ETA: *Opens notepad and picks the same pen. 'This needs further testing.' Puts away the pad and the pen. Goes back to the WIP with a sigh.*

-cb
cbenoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote