Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
MakanJuu
practical experience, FTW

MakanJuu is well-respected
Character Favoritism

Here's an annoying one for me.

Working on my own WIP- an Urban fantasy, I believe, would be the correct category- and I've run into an issue with Character favoritism. For instance, I can write all day & give myself no qualms about rewriting & devoting time to "getting things right" for my three main characters- Juu, Tim & Merissa. However, when I switch over to, say, the main antagonist, or a quick scene from the POV of Tim's uncle, I get bored & am just plain uninterested. The problem being that this novel is going to have, at least, another six side characters & half of them will also have POV scenes...

Anyone else have this problem? How'd you overcome it?

What Lies Within The Mahounin (Native American/ Horror/ Fantasy- NA)
Stage: I think I have a basic story outline & a world, now.

Let Us Thrive (Political/ Techno-Thriller/ War/ Epic- NA)
Stage: Preconception. Got some good ideas & starting place, but not sure where I'm going yet.
MakanJuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
srgalactica

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakanJuu View Post

Working on my own WIP- an Urban fantasy, I believe, would be the correct category- and I've run into an issue with Character favoritism. For instance, I can write all day & give myself no qualms about rewriting & devoting time to "getting things right" for my three main characters- Juu, Tim & Merissa. However, when I switch over to, say, the main antagonist, or a quick scene from the POV of Tim's uncle, I get bored & am just plain uninterested. The problem being that this novel is going to have, at least, another six side characters & half of them will also have POV scenes...

I wouldn't say I struggle with favoritism. I'm equally intrigued by all of my POV characters, however, I do have a harder time writing some of them and I believe that comes from my not understanding those characters as much as the others.

Fantasy Trilogy

Book 1 - In revision
Book 2 - In revision
Book 3 - Waiting to be written
srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you don't want to write something, the reader probably doesn't want to read it.

I like all my characters, it's the only reason why I'd write them in the first place. If I don't like them, they aren't brought into the story.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
roseangel
Crazy Young Cat Lady

roseangel is on a distinguished road
Why so many pov characters? Are they truly needed? Can you write your novel with only the pov's you enjoy doing?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Splodge
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Splodge is on a distinguished road
I have this problem sometimes although I don't necessarily get bored with characters, I just really enjoy writing others, so much so that the 'boring' characters get a bit ignored and under developed.

Will's right, if you don't enjoy writing it the reader won't enjoy reading it. So find a way of making it more interesting - either changing the structure or the character or limiting the POV or getting rid of the character altogether!

Twitter: @84JENice
Splodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
MakanJuu

Well, ever since The Walking Dead & the Sword of Truth novels, I've gotten highly interested in doing deep character drama. The uncle is just for one specific scene in chapter one in which only he is present when the MacGuffin for the novel is found.

The others are a star-crossed love interest who unknowingly throws his lot in with his girlfriend's enemy & I want to keep him sympathetic as he plays a major part in the series as a whole. Then there's a news reporter who's on the scent to possibly uncovering the "magical" world to the populace at large who has unfortunately become deeply engrained in my story &, finally, another villain character who starts out well meaning & looses his way as the story progresses.

I know it's a lot to swallow, but this was originally concieved as the first season of a TV series & I've tried to condense it down to essential plot as much as possible.

As to responses so far, I kinda feel like srgalactica has something. I'm gonna try to brainstorm a bit more on some of these characters & see what happens.

Stage: Preconception. Got some good ideas & starting place, but not sure where I'm going yet.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
Chasing the Horizon
Found the Horizon

Chasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthood
Maybe your boredom is trying to tell you that you've made some characters POV characters when they aren't interesting enough to justify it.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
BethS
writer, rider, reader

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakanJuu View Post

If I'm bored, that tells me something is wrong with the character or the scene. Probably it means I'm writing something that doesn't actually need to be written, or else the conflict itself is not strong enough.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wouldn't use a character's POV for only one scene. Whenever I've read books where this is done, it's jarring. I think you could find a way of conveying that scene without that.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
chloecomplains
Pinkamena Diane Pie

chloecomplains is on a distinguished road
Honestly, I think this is the downfall of outlining an entire story before you write anything. I play favorites all the time, but I like to think it works in my favor; normally one of those favorited characters ends up being the villain by the end because I've spent so much more time than I'd expected talking about how great they are that when their flaw comes out, it's a big one. I also like to kill off someone that I've played favorites with. Someone's gotta die, may as well be that guy.
chloecomplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
Michel_Cayer
figuring it all out

Michel_Cayer is on a distinguished road
Have you tought of combining some of those characters? You could end up with less POVs and characters with more meat to them. Maybe you'd enjoy writing about them more.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
Wilde_at_heart
Shameless attention-whore...

Wilde_at_heart leaves trails of profuse coolnessWilde_at_heart leaves trails of profuse coolnessWilde_at_heart leaves trails of profuse coolnessWilde_at_heart leaves trails of profuse coolnessWilde_at_heart leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing the Horizon View Post
Maybe your boredom is trying to tell you that you've made some characters POV characters when they aren't interesting enough to justify it.
That's what I'd imagine as well.

Do you you really need them to be POV characters and if so, why?

The reader can surmise a lot from actions and dialogue so in a lot of cases, we don't really need to be inside the characters' heads.

Is it important to see the story from the POV of the antagonist? I have multiple POVs in one WIP but the 'Villain' isn't one of them.

http://twitter.com/wilde_at_heart

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 82K - querying
Untitled Supernatural Romantic Mystery er, Interstitial? 96K + NA prequel, 63K
Daphne vs the Demoness 71K not sure how to end
The Human Resources Experiment, 92K, polishing
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
MakanJuu

Errr... honestly, I think you might be right about that. The antagonist is always in the background, pulling strings from the shadows & just about every time he's present, he's in the presence of other POVs anyway... I should drop that thought.

Also, BuffySquirrel, I might take your advice, but I'd like to see how it turns out first before I do it. One of my top three influences was Terry Goodkind &... I guess I kinda picked up the habit from him. Lol

The others, though, might be essential. Definately the love interest as he's a main character for the series & I want people to know for a fact that he is redeemable, even though others either don't or aren't sure. The reporter is almost never with any other POVs until most of the way through the book. I'm not sure about the second villain, though. I might drop his POV as well...

Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's certainly nothing wrong with using POV to gain insight into a character, but that's not to say it's the only way, Makan. You can have a full ensemble of characters and reveal everything of substance about each of them without ever switching POV. It's all in how clearly you illustrate the character's actions and attitudes to the reader. If you can do that well, you're golden. If you can't, switching POVs isn't going to help you, anyway.

Know what I mean?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #15
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd consider cutting the POVs. I know as a reader I am not a big fan of books that do too many POVs, and anything over two or three is usually to the detriment of the book. I can think of one book that had many that I actually didn't mind it with.

Granted, that could be personal preference, but I recently had a similar situation. I was trying to write my antagonist into the early scenes, and it just wasn't working. I cut him out (he'll show up later) and the whole thing works so much better now.

You can definitely show character depth and emotional connection even to a character that isn't the POV character. I wrote a book once from a single POV and in that case my favorite characters were two of the side-characters. It wasn't necessary to be in their heads to develop them at all.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
eyebee14
figuring it all out

eyebee14 is on a distinguished road
I never get bored with my characters. They all have merit. But what I do find is I know certain characters more than other. But as I go through my revisions, I start to understand the characters better.

As BethS said, "If I'm bored, that tells me something is wrong with the character or the scene. Probably it means I'm writing something that doesn't actually need to be written, or else the conflict itself is not strong enough."

BethS hit the mark. If you are bored, chances are your readers will be bored too.
eyebee14 is offline   Reply With Quote