Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Poetry
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
satyesu
practical experience, FTW

satyesu is on a distinguished road
How do I write better poetry?

A/o improve what I have? I can't believe the search function found nothing on this.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
poetinahat
not for everybody
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Maybe because every single thread here is, in the end, about writing better poetry. The Critique subforum is full of the works of people trying to improve their poetry writing. It's a much better place to start than the search function.

I think you'll find that, if we agree on one thing here, it's that there's no silver bullet, no formula. If there were, I know I wouldn't give a dam about reading or writing it; it wouldn't be interesting, diverse or beautiful. There's no shortcut: if one wants to write better poems, one has to read and write poetry and the literature about poetry.

Having said that, I can recommend a couple of readable, helpful, informative and eminently enjoyable books:

- The Poetry Home Repair Manual, by Ted Kooser
- The Ode Less Traveled, by Stephen Fry
poetinahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Liralen
Miss Conceived

Liralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Two things that I've found have helped me:

Read what I've written out loud to myself

Distill the poem down to its essence

Can you find the Pitbull?

WIP ~ The Black Dog Dialogues: At the raw, dark fringes of exhaustion, there is The Black Dog
Liralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Read a lot of really good poetry.

Then read a whole lot more.

Keep doing that.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Billytwice
practical experience, FTW

Billytwice leaves trails of profuse coolnessBillytwice leaves trails of profuse coolnessBillytwice leaves trails of profuse coolnessBillytwice leaves trails of profuse coolnessBillytwice leaves trails of profuse coolness
You could also read a lot of really bad poetry.
I have and really enjoyed some of them.

The secret is just read lots of poetry.
I've done it hundreds of times.

Failure is not an option. It's a way of life.
Capital Criminal

Billytwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Paddlefish
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Paddlefish is on a distinguished road
What kind of poetry do you want to write better?
Paddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Satyesu,

Take one of your poems that you have finished and stick it into the crit forum. Then pay attention to the comments you get on how to improve the piece. Then revise it and post it back in that thread. And pay attention to the feedback you get on it.

Improving your writing of anything takes practice. Lots and lots of practice. And reading, particularly in the genre you are interested in writing in. In this case poetry. If you are going for a specific type of poetry, say haiku, read as much haiku as you can get your hands on. But read sonnets, too. Because reading other types of poetry will show you things you won't get by just reading haiku.

Read, write, listen to comments, revise.

I have given in to the Blog Bug. Visit my Duchy here.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Wandererer
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Wandererer is on a distinguished road
Drink more alcohol. Live a short, tragic life on the edge. It has worked for many poets, though they may not have lived to reap the benefits.
Wandererer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
theDolphin
Aquarius

theDolphin is on a distinguished road
So loving the answers in here, from Wanderer's to Old Hack's! This is why I love this place.

I've nothing much to add, save a suggestion in accordance with those recommending a lot of reading. Consider getting yourself the latest Norton's Anthology of poetry. Read it cover to cover. If you get a chance, read about those poets as well, about their styles, what they were going for, what they believed they were achieving.

The great thing about reading and studying poetry is not just the visceral appreciation and sheer joy of it, though you'll find that in abundance. But as with writers or artists of any discipline, it allows you to understand what's come before you. It gives you context and awareness of the continuum. I am certain there are wonderful poets and savants who can achieve greatness without that knowledge, but I think we're privileged to have it available to us.

Good luck!

sparrow in the treetop - tweet, tweet!

Jennifer Rockwell on Goodreads

A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou
theDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
bigb
Gun in Mouth Blues

bigb is a shiny, shiny jewelbigb is a shiny, shiny jewel
After you write a poem, don't read it for a month. Then post it in the crit section. I find that it will read differently, and I can edit it before putting up for crit. This makes the critique easier to understand. Just my thoughts, and I'm truly a hack.

Link to my latest article, if your into baseball
http://throughthefencebaseball.com/b...ng-haul/29372/
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote