Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
Gynn
Wandering worlds

Gynn has a spectacular aura
How dare you!

What is the rule for a sentence that is both a question and an exclamation at the same time? Can you use either punctuation?

Would it be:

"How dare you?"
or could it be:
"How dare you!"

"What the hell is that thing?"
"What the hell is that thing!"
Gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
Dorky
practical experience, FTW

Dorky has a spectacular aura
Try reading these two out loud as they are written.
“How dare you?”
“How dare you!”

I’d pick the second one

eta: Oops, I hit Post before I was done typing this up.
You could also do the following:
“How could you?” she exclaimed.
Dorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
srgalactica
practical experience, FTW

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gynn View Post
What is the rule for a sentence that is both a question and an exclamation at the same time? Can you use either punctuation?

Would it be:

"How dare you?"
or could it be:
"How dare you!"

I think "How dare you!" is usually rhetorical, so I would go with the exclamation.

"What the hell is that thing?" seems like a question to me, so I would use the question mark.

srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
alleycat
"What purple bird?"
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgalactica View Post
I think "How dare you!" is usually rhetorical, so I would go with the exclamation.
Yep.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
Anna Spargo-Ryan
Just pokin' about

Anna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to behold
It's generally accepted that you use an exclamation mark to close a yelling, emphatic or otherwise heightened question.

You could use an interrobang, if only because its name is so wonderful.

To clarify, these would all be acceptable:

Where are you!

What are you doing!

Why are you leaving me!

Twitter | Blog
Anna Spargo-Ryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
CChampeau
The ever absent-minded

CChampeau is on a distinguished road
Take a look at this article, Using Exclamation Points in Professional Writing.

Basically,
1. Use exclamation marks sparingly!
2. Aren't combined question marks and exclamation marks obnoxious?!

"The truth will set you free."
CChampeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
katci13
creative genie

katci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of light
I usually use ? but sometimes both. How could you?! Or just, How could you? she yelled. Whatever I feel like at the time.

Works in Progress:

Dark YA Fantasy (Drafting)
YA Supernatural Horror (Drafting)
Dark Fantasy (Brainstorming/Outlining)
katci13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
Anna Spargo-Ryan
Just pokin' about

Anna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
If you need to let the reader know the person is yelling or astonished, then do it in the dialogue tags, and then only use the question mark in the actual dialogue.

"What?" he screamed. "I can't believe this. How could this happen?"

From http://voices.yahoo.com/using-exclam...428.html?cat=4
I don't agree with this advice. Not only because I think dialogue tags are lazy writing, for the most part, but because there is nothing in it to show how angry he is. This kind of expression is unbelievable.

"What!" His voice shook. "How could this happen? I can't believe it." He gripped my hand, his eyes bloodshot.

Emotion! Yeah!

Twitter | Blog
Anna Spargo-Ryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Beachgirl
Misbehaving and stuff

Beachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by katci13 View Post
I usually use ? but sometimes both. How could you?! Or just, How could you? she yelled. Whatever I feel like at the time.
I've tried that, but my editor always slaps me on the wrist and makes me change it.

BookStrand Amazon Blog Twitter AW Library

WIPs by Scarlet Day:
Shifter Sanctuary 2: Reclaimed

WIPs by as-yet-to-be-determined name(s):
Flip Flops Optional (Contemporary Romantic Comedy)
Saltwater Insanity (Satirical Crime Fiction)
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
chloecomplains
Pinkamena Diane Pie

chloecomplains is on a distinguished road
Are we not allowed to do ?! anymore? If not, we really need to make the interrobang more mainstream.
chloecomplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
for the first sentence, neither, and I would use a period. The preceding action and/or conversation will make it clear that the person is exclaiming.

For the second, it's a question. Use a question mark.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewelAshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewel
I love interrobangs, but they don't frequently pop up in books. As for choosing I think it depends on which is the more meaningful sentiment. If I read, How dare you?, I would imagine a more smooth delivery. The exclamatory factory comes with the statement, but I get a sense of true offense and musing. When the exclamation point is used, I tend to only think of the shock and it comes off flat compared to the instance with the question mark.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
Quote:

"What the hell is that thing?" seems like a question to me, so I would use the question mark.

ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
fredXgeorge
I heart sexy elves and wizards.

fredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewelfredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'd use a question mark in that case. The phrase itself suggests to me that the speaker's voice is raised so unless they whisper it or something, I'd leave it.

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
- J.K. Rowling
fredXgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
allmywires
Rock-licker

allmywires is on a distinguished road
I would use a question mark for both, but italicise it for stress in 'How dare you?'
allmywires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, but the first draft always has at least one sentence with ?!?!?!?!!! in it, right?
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Count how many exclamation marks you come across in published writing. It's easy to show anger, surprise, or anythng else without them, so you certainly won't find many.

And outside of a comic book, an interrobang would turn a novel into a wall banger for me.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
Arclight
The Dragon's Daughter

Arclight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gynn View Post
Would it be:

"How dare you?"
or could it be:
"How dare you!"

I'd use "How dare you!" (because it's a rhetorical question), and either "What the hell is that thing?" or "What the hell is that thing?!" (to show extra incredulity).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
And outside of a comic book, an interrobang would turn a novel into a wall banger for me.
Really? I agree that multiple exclamation or question marks look unprofessional, but an interrobang is perfect for expressing simultaneous disbelief and anger. To me, "What the hell were you thinking?!" reads better than "What the hell were you thinking?"
And, with the truth in mind, let me write lies
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
ccarver30
The Appleton House

ccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

I agree. How would one even answer the question "how dare you"?
How? I dare by calling you a guttersnipe.
ccarver30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
To me, "What the hell were you thinking?!" reads better than "What the hell were you thinking?"
I agree with james on this point, Arc. The exclamation is unnecessary. If the events leading up to the statement have been established clearly the reader should able to infer the tone of the speaker without additional punctuation.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #21
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarver30 View Post
How? I dare by calling you a guttersnipe.
Whoa, pretty strong words! Are you going to take that from her, Buffy?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Beachgirl
Misbehaving and stuff

Beachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffysquirrel View Post
Yeah, but the first draft always has at least one sentence with ?!?!?!?!!! in it, right?
Oh absolutely. Which is why I get slapped on the wrist when I forget to take them out.

BookStrand Amazon Blog Twitter AW Library

WIPs by Scarlet Day:
Shifter Sanctuary 2: Reclaimed

WIPs by as-yet-to-be-determined name(s):
Flip Flops Optional (Contemporary Romantic Comedy)
Saltwater Insanity (Satirical Crime Fiction)
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
One day the interrobang mark will be back in fashion. ONE DAY.

Until then, I wait...

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #24
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Context should clarify how words are delivered and with what intent. If an intended question is delivered it needs a question mark. How dare you - is an expression rarely, if ever, delivered as a question with the expectation of any answer.

The manner of delivery and intent of most phrases becomes unclear when they're considered in isolation.

Last edited by Bufty; 01-17-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Bufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
zanzjan
Eating French Toast
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloecomplains View Post
Are we not allowed to do ?! anymore? If not, we really need to make the interrobang more mainstream.
I've used it in published work. Not often, but when it works best, it works best. I've never been called on it, fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Littlefield View Post
for the first sentence, neither, and I would use a period. The preceding action and/or conversation will make it clear that the person is exclaiming.
I disagree with this. If I saw an agitated character say "How dare you." I'd think that was poorly written, personally. The neutral punctuation choice of '.' undermines what is clearly intended to be an emotionally non-neutral statement, plus is at odds with the sentence clearly being a question (whether or not rhetorical.) At the very least I'd err on the side of "?".

Punctuation exists to add emphasis to sentences where needed, or where it brings clarity. Don't be afraid to use it. Just don't over-use it (!!!!) or mis-use it. If an editor has a problem with it, they'll tell you, and if you've made the best choice, your readers won't notice your punctuation at all. Except maybe JAR.

Podcast! StarShipSofa 346

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
zanzjan is online now   Reply With Quote