Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
rwm4768
practical experience, FTW

rwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputation
Weird google searches for your novel research

What are some of the strangest searches you've entered to research your novel? I think writers probably have some of the weirdest and possibly worst sounding Google searches.

For example, today I searched for methods of torture and how much weight it takes to crush a human skull.

Yeah, I was writing a pretty messed up scene.

Your turn...

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 160K Revising
The Battle Stone (Upper MG Fantasy): 67K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
MakanJuu

MakanJuu has a spectacular auraMakanJuu has a spectacular aura
Lol

So far, all I've had to do was research animal spirit meanings & native american tribes in Ohio. Nothing crazy yet, but I'm sure it'll get worse. Deep world mythology stuff going on in my novel.

Backburners:
Let Us Thrive- Political Thriller/ Character Drama
Paranorm- Horror/ Character Drama
Buried Below- Treasure Hunter Homage
Spirits Sequels & Prequel(s)
MakanJuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Gynn
Wandering worlds

Gynn has a spectacular aura
Ha! I spend half my night doing Google searches, it seems. We modern writers have it easy! Imagine doing any sort of research twenty+ years ago. You'd have to go to a library or interview someone.
Gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
ArachnePhobia
Eight Legs, All Holding Pens

ArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admiration
This isn't a google search, but for a scene in my horror/thriller where the MC has to break into a morgue and search a body for evidence, I actually checked out want-ads from real morgues to find out what their staffing and hours were.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Inappropriate ways to use a deli slicer"

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
ArachnePhobia
Eight Legs, All Holding Pens

ArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
"Inappropriate ways to use a deli slicer"
I used to work in a deli. Sometimes the cleats that hold the meat in place can cause more problems the blade, 'cause they're so heavy, swing so freely, and since they're not as obviously dangerous, don't have anywhere near the same amount of safeguards.

Personal experience? ...maybe...

*rubs hand, which hurts just from the memory*
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
milkweed
Abuses commas at will.

milkweed has earned our admirationmilkweed has earned our admirationmilkweed has earned our admirationmilkweed has earned our admiration
So far researching moons or planets around gas giants, and various astronomical stuff.
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
victoriakmartin

victoriakmartin is on a distinguished road
I've had to look up various ways of poisoning people, that's always been fun (the best was using a substance used to make red paint to poison the water supply).

http://www.victoriakmartin.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Victoria-K-Martin/100339113495839

(formerly known as i_paint_the_sky)
victoriakmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
JadeVarden
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JadeVarden is on a distinguished road
The history of paper. Long story.
JadeVarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Anna Spargo-Ryan
Just pokin' about

Anna Spargo-Ryan is a glorious beacon of lightAnna Spargo-Ryan is a glorious beacon of lightAnna Spargo-Ryan is a glorious beacon of light
I've been trying to find out how many SSRIs someone would have to take to cause permanent damage or death.

Surprisingly, Google is not terribly forthcoming with actual figures. There's no tabular data anywhere: "To commit suicide, take 24 Paxil or 52 Prozac and rinse with vodka."

Twitter | Blog
Anna Spargo-Ryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Canotila
Sever your leg please.

Canotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for President
"how to assassinate with a knife"

Eventually that one led to a horrifyingly matter of fact e-book written by someone who obviously going off personal experience. The whole thing was surreal, and I had to go take a long hot shower afterward. Ugh. It was invaluable for the scene I was writing but at the same time, knowing it came from someone who put it into practice just makes me feel rotten in the stomach.

Dog in a swing score: 114 reps. Go dog go!
Canotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
Latin love poetry had to be the strangest one, which I admit is not that exciting...

Though for real world work (when I was a clinical scientist) I did have to research the inhibitory concentration (IC) of a drug I was planning to use on my cell samples. To get the information I filled in a web form on the manufacturer's site, expecting to get an email in reply or a phone call during office hours.

I got the phone call while I was on the bus on the way home. In the middle of a crowd of passengers in rush hour I had a matter of fact conversation with someone about drugs and the lethal dose of that drug (apparently they had not yet found out the IC but they knew the LD...). I have no idea what the other people on the bus thought of this conversation...

Transitions
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transitions-...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

'Gods of the Sea'
Part of the Pirates and Swashbucklers anthology:

http://pulpempire.com/mag/

My blog:

http://lurkingmusings.wordpress.com/

I helped write this:

http://www.realmfw.com/
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"How to kill a man in the least messy way" and "How to make a bomb" are probably the searches I was most uncomfortable with. I didn't mention HOW to actually make a damned bomb in my book, I just needed to know enough to have them work in a vaguely realistic way, but when I did the search I kept thinking, The FBI's gonna come through my door any moment now.

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Some of my Google searches for various books include:

Incest.
Nuclear war (health effects of).
The quickest route on foot between Cambridge and Manchester.
The police response to an unexplained explosion.
The government response to a terrorist attack (namely, road closures).
Cauterising a wound with a fag lighter.
British myths (500 AD to 1850).
A-Level Maths.
Non-lethal but painful gunshot wounds.
The forced removal of someone's tongue.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
Seun, while I am perfectly fine with your research into nuclear warfare and tongue removal, what sort of sick bastard does research into A level maths? God, you are disgusting...

Transitions
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transitions-...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

'Gods of the Sea'
Part of the Pirates and Swashbucklers anthology:

http://pulpempire.com/mag/

My blog:

http://lurkingmusings.wordpress.com/

I helped write this:

http://www.realmfw.com/
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
crunchyblanket
the Juggernaut of Imperfection

crunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by areteus View Post
Seun, while I am perfectly fine with your research into nuclear warfare and tongue removal, what sort of sick bastard does research into A level maths? God, you are disgusting...
fair makes you sick, doesn't it?
Unusual searches I've found myself doing include the application of nanomachines in building a cyborg, lasting damage from a gunshot wound to the left shoulder, jealous issues in polyamorous relationships, structure and procedure of the Met's Human Trafficking division and what would happen if a human lived exclusively on tinned hot dogs in brine.

My short story "When Charlie Sleeps" is in Best British Horror 2014. Buy it. It'll make you happier and sexier.

crunchyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
franky_s

franky_s is on a distinguished road
How to organise a kidnap / ransom exchange.
franky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
swvaughn
done

swvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthood
I just looked at my Google search history. Here's a few recent ones:

reasons a police officer would get demoted
free blood spatter images
how big is a yacht
define:laity
time zone chicago
graffiti
gangster phrases
what channel number is your news now albany
smartphone locking mechanism

I also googled "how to view google history" because I've never looked at just Google (if I tried to go through the browser history and pick out the Googles, I'd be at this all day...).
swvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by areteus View Post
Thankfully, it wasn't all for the same book.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
Purple Rose

Purple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Google offered very little. I'm going to have to visit the archives at the National Library:

- What kind of food did the British serve at their dinner parties in colonial Singapore?

- How often did the colonial British return to England for holidays in the 1950s (considering the journey by ship took four weeks each way and flying was too expensive for most people)

- King cobras

- Wicked colonial masters in Singapore
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Hmm...

Oh, yeah, I was trying to find prices for marijuana, looking up the finer points of manslaughter vs. murder, and age of consent laws.

Pretty tame in comparison to some of you.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, goodness.

I too have searched for how much pressure is required to crush a skull! I've searched just about every drug topic possible. I've looked up:

How to get a corpse out of a well
How soon after death does rigor mortis set in
How fast body temperature drops after death in freezing conditions
What happens if you inject oil into the jugular vein
How to break a neck with your bare hands
How to break a wrist with your bare hands
What knife is best for dismemberment
How much blood can someone lose and stay alive
How to crush a windpipe and kill someone
Cauterizing wounds
how long for maggots to hatch
When do Great Horned Owls molt
Crematorium ovens and how they work
autopsies
How fast do corpses rot

...I don't even think the weirdest ones are on that list.

Research is fun.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaspargoryan View Post
I've been trying to find out how many SSRIs someone would have to take to cause permanent damage or death.

Surprisingly, Google is not terribly forthcoming with actual figures. There's no tabular data anywhere: "To commit suicide, take 24 Paxil or 52 Prozac and rinse with vodka."
Yeah, they're much safer than the older drugs. A drug interaction would be a better bet. Google 'serotonin syndrome'.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
allmywires
Rock-licker

allmywires is on a distinguished road
How to make napalm/what the constituents of napalm are, and prisoner branding, are the most recent ones. Oh and what happens to late-in-life eunuchs is on my to-do list...
allmywires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Forgot to answer the question. I should google 'how to remember to answer the OP's question'.

I've been doing a lot of research into idiosyncratic alcohol intoxication, benzo, psychosis, antipsychotics, delusions, the Fraud Act 2006....
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote