Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help > Tech Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Location: It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60's
Paperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of light
Blackberry 10 hardware leaked

These are some gorgeous pictures of the new Blackberry 10 device that were leaked. I haven't been so excited about Blackberry in a long time. It looks like they finally got it right. New hardware, new OS and new app store. In their OS they introduced peek technology, where you can peek to your email communication from anywhere in the OS.

PICTURES http://www.tinhte.vn/threads/1732610/

PREVIEW OF PEEK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fzFyKzD3K0

Last edited by Paperback Writer; 01-16-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Paperback Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it's a little too late for RIM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Paperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of light
They are big internationally, and in corporate networks in the U.S. while they may not neccesarily ever take the lead, they can still sell well.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
They are big internationally, and in corporate networks in the U.S. while they may not neccesarily ever take the lead, they can still sell well.
Well, they used to be. I think BYOD is pretty effectively killing their corporate presence.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

On that front Blackberry is introducing personal and business profiles that can be switched seamlessly by dragging from the top of the screen and selecting profiles. BYOD is neat but poses a security risk.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Blackberry still exists?

I think even the government is researching how to get away from it.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
Blackberry still exists?

I think even the government is researching how to get away from it.
Umm yeh

If it's good enough for Obama it's good enough for me.

He has a BB 9930 now

Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I didn't say they've replaced it yet. But they're looking into it. Do you realize how much testing and retesting they do to make sure a new product is compatible with every network? They've been telling us they're going to switch to Office 2003 for years now.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
I didn't say they've replaced it yet. But they're looking into it. Do you realize how much testing and retesting they do to make sure a new product is compatible with every network? They've been telling us they're going to switch to Office 2003 for years now.
That's pretty funny.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
benbradley
It's a doggy dog world

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yet again, change in language bugs me ... this time it's using Operating System when people mean User Interface.

Never mind me, just get off my lawn away from my 1401.
benbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Are you a member of a Computer museum? If so which one? or are you just breaking my balls a little bit lol?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
Blackberrys are still huge on UK corporate contracts, especially those with a need for security. The hardware might be outdated, but the Blackberry Enterprise Server is quite the little moneymaker for them.

Also, I have to give RIM a tip of the hat for making PUSH notifcations on phones popular.

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #13
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

UK police are doing a trial using Blackberry Playbooks in their police cruisers if successful they will install them on many vehicles. So yes the UK loves Blackberrys

http://crackberry.com/uk-police-get-blackberry-playbook
Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
MattW
Company Man

MattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
BB is still the default corporate device at the big companies around here.

iDevices are available with an extra layer of approval, but not the standard.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
Wilde_at_heart
Shameless attention-whore...

Wilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudge
A friend of mine works for RIM and was gushing about it the other day, saying it's going to blow everything else out of the water, including the Samsung.

He's not generally an enthusiastic person either...

I have the playbook myself and *love* it. It's miles better than the iPad.

http://twitter.com/wilde_at_heart

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 99K
Ashmi vs the Demoness 90K - polishing
Fantasy set in a desert... outlined, on first draft
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

Does anyone still develop apps for the Playbook?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
Wilde_at_heart
Shameless attention-whore...

Wilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
I would imagine so, though personally I find apps over-rated. I downloaded a bunch when I first got it and now barely use most of them.

I just like how I can read PDFs, there's a native e-reader, I can access word documents and have multiple applications open at once. Video streams better than other devices too.

http://twitter.com/wilde_at_heart

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 99K
Ashmi vs the Demoness 90K - polishing
Fantasy set in a desert... outlined, on first draft
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
Of course they do, it would be ignorant to say that development has stopped for it. Take a look at this tag that is Blackberry games specific http://crackberry.com/crack-team/bla...playbook-games

Also Blackberry 10 is currently porting apps from other operating systems http://crackberry.com/here-come-anot...kberry-10-apps

Quote:
RIM put up $100 in cash per approved app, allowing up to 20 such apps to be submitted during the Port-A-Thon. So a developer with a series of apps and ability to execute could earn $2,000 very quickly.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilde_at_heart View Post
A friend of mine works for RIM and was gushing about it the other day, saying it's going to blow everything else out of the water, including the Samsung.

He's not generally an enthusiastic person either...

I have the playbook myself and *love* it. It's miles better than the iPad.
Nice to know someone who knows someone that works for RIM
Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #20
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

First look with the Blackberry Q. It's Q for QWERTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=13dqGogAJ5M

The New Blackberry Z10 video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX4G...layer_embedded

It's officially out and looking very promising.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
I found the BBC interview amusing. A gimmicky unlock screen, how innovative! I'll stick with my PIN lock. A predictive keyboard that looks weirdly complicated! Wow, I'll stick with Swiftkey.

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #22
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

The unlock screen is not that important. What I'm really impressed with is the graphical user interface. It does not have any buttons, and uses gestures heavily for one handed and two handed use.

I had an iPhone and the home button degraded since I got it until it stopped working. I went to an apple store to get it replaced when I first began noticing it, and they said the blew air on it. It didn't help at all, I ended up suffering with a bad piece of hardware until the button did not work anymore.

Eventually I replaced it with a new iPhone, but 4G LTE had been out for a year and was now very stable and prevalent in my area. So I sold it switched to an Android 4G LTE phone.

I also owned a Blackberry 9930 along the way, and I loved the keyboard, it was the best I have ever tried on a phone. It was lacking on the GPS area so I made my move to an android phone. I still remember that Blackberry though, it was something about the no nonsense experience that makes me want to give it another shot. I also owned a 9700 before that.

As far as the keyboard for the best experience there is the Blackberry Q with the 9930 hardware like keyboard. With the touch keyboard, I like to turn off auto-complete on my phones, but this new one does not look very intrusive. I was going to try swipe, but as I was about to install it I received a warning that it will capture everything including my passwords. So I decided not to try it. There will be a new video coming out that goes deeper into how the touch keyboard adapts to each user. I'll post that when it comes out.

I am loving 4G LTE unlimited with Verizon with my interim phone in the meantime. I can watch as many videos as I want and I don't have to worry about loading a Youtube video with the fear that I'm going to hit my data cap. It also displays in high resolution unlike the 3G capable iPhone 4 I had. The videos used to come out grainy and took a long time to load.

Last edited by Paperback Writer; 02-01-2013 at 12:23 PM.