Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Barbara R.
Old Hand in the Biz

Barbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admiration
Funny book trailer

Funniest book trailer I've ever seen, by an advertising guy---no surprise there.
Barbara R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Now, that was hilarious. I empathized with that poor group leader; frustration, it burns. ROFL

Moving this over to the Roundtable, though, as it isn't your book, Barbara. Hold on for just a sec, the ride shouldn't be too shaky.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Brilliant. I've never seen a book trailer before that I didn't think was a total waste of time. That actually shows you that the format can work.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
Spell-it-out
I'm gonna give all my secrets away

Spell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of light
Haha that is excellent! Thanks for sharing.
Spell-it-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
Alitriona
Attends The School of AW

Alitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of light
It didn't appeal to me at all. Perhaps I'm not the target audience.

Alitriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Barbara R.
Old Hand in the Biz

Barbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admirationBarbara R. has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Meermans View Post
Now, that was hilarious. I empathized with that poor group leader; frustration, it burns. ROFL

Moving this over to the Roundtable, though, as it isn't your book, Barbara. Hold on for just a sec, the ride shouldn't be too shaky.
Thanks. One of these days I'll figure out what goes where...
Barbara R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alitriona View Post
It didn't appeal to me at all. Perhaps I'm not the target audience.
I have heard many PR and marketing people say that if you didn't like an ad, it probably wasn't aimed at you.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm with Alitriona. I gave up halfway through, although I thought the plate being dragged across the table was modestly amusing.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

It got much funnier after that.

"What do you think of the title?"
"I don't like it because it's written in red and my mother-in-law likes red and she's a horrible person."
"O-kay... Derek, what do you think?"
"I agree with Katrina."
"About what? The colour or her mother-in-law?"
"All of it."

Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Maybe it made too many assumptions about my prior knowledge of such things. I had no expectations for them to subvert .
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
ishtar'sgate
living in the past

ishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for President
Thought it was great. Not your usual book trailer. I'll be far more likely to remember the title and check out the book now that I've had a laugh at the clever trailer. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like it could be a funny debut too as the main character has to write a Super Bowl commercial for his diaper account.

most-viewed blog post:
Unicorn Droppings, a Short Story
ishtar'sgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #12
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I see an article (or rather, an unfunny first paragraph), but no trailer. Does it require registration with the New Yorker?

Wait -- is it the same as this video? Not very funny. Knowing the author of the novel wrote this video makes it less likely I'd read it.

And, one of the review quotes at the end contains the word "stunning". Prejudices me against that review, and by extension, against the novel.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #13
benluby
practical experience, FTW

benluby has a spectacular aurabenluby has a spectacular aura
Too stereotypical. Bored me, and just over halfway through I clicked out. I'm old, and don't have time to waste on unfunny things.
benluby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara R. View Post
Funniest book trailer I've ever seen, by an advertising guy---no surprise there.
Funny is great, but selling books is more than that. This trailer covers the characters and the summary of the story, and repeats the title over and over until it's impossible to forget. So it accomplishes the unfunny commercial function, too.

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
That was funny!!

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #16
M.T.Logue
The T is for Trying to Stop Lurking

M.T.Logue has a spectacular aura
It made me chuckle a bit. Considering most book trailers make me really not want to buy the book, that's saying something. Will I go out an buy the book? Probably not. I might look into it if I finish my current reading list and still remember the title and author, though.
M.T.Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
colealpaugh
"Bear trumps Elephants!"

colealpaugh is a splendid one to beholdcolealpaugh is a splendid one to beholdcolealpaugh is a splendid one to behold
Nah. It was time to pull the plug once Carrell left.

Website

The Spy's Little Zonbi
Coffeetown Press/2013

The Turtle-Girl from East Pukapuka
Coffeetown Press/2012

The Bear in a Muddy Tutu
Camel Press/2011

colealpaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
JayMan
Like Burt Reynolds in Gator

JayMan is a shiny, shiny jewelJayMan is a shiny, shiny jewel
Loved this
JayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
OhTheHorror
jlw

OhTheHorror is on a distinguished road

OhTheHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by benluby View Post
Too stereotypical. Bored me, and just over halfway through I clicked out. I'm old, and don't have time to waste on unfunny things.
You lasted longer than I. I clicked out on "where's the bathroom?" I could see what they were doing because I've seen it done before: let's get a focus group together but focus groups never give a cohesive, coherent opinion but we need to get get the opinion of a focus group because we need to get the demographic's opinion and the only way we can do that is get a focus group but focus groups never give a cohesive, coherent opinion, etc., REPEAT UNTIL DEAD.

That, and I'm a notoriously hard sell on book trailers. Some might say impossible. I saw how long it was and my first thought was ALMOST FOUR MINUTES FOR A $#%@ING COMMERCIAL?! Then I reminded myself I've sat through Gone with the Wind in a theater twice, so what's almost four minutes watching a video online? A lot when I'm not being entertained.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Amanda R. is well-respected
It started out funny, cute premise, but just dragged on way too long. The ending with the author going "this is going good" was also funny, it just took too long to get there. Gotta get to the punchline quicker.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.
Amanda R. is offline   Reply With Quote