Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
butterfly
On the verge

butterfly is well-respected
Impress Yourself

Found this line jotted down in a journal and thought I'd share:

"The only person you should be interested in completely impressing is you."

http://introverted-writer.blogspot.com/
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
buzhidao
can totally spell Brobdinrgnagrian

buzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's much easier to impress other people.
buzhidao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzhidao View Post
Really? I impress myself all the time. All the damn time.
me: what weird sexytimes stuff have i asked for!!!!!

corny
: you know...

when you wanted me to....
use my edges to...
"scratch your itch"

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
buzhidao

buzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putputt View Post
Really? I impress myself all the time. All the damn time.
Well, I'm not surprised. Hippos are extremely impressive. It's science.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post

Ummm, I don't buy it. Being impressed with yourself is easy, and proves nothing. I'm also not big on impressing others, either, but at least it takes some sort of effort to do this.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
'Tis indeed. Need to tell Kallithrix about this, that hippo-hatin' thing.

corny

use my edges to...
"scratch your itch"

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
quicklime
Bare snake-ed

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

I impress the shit outta myself.

My wife, not so much....

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
quicklime
Bare snake-ed

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

agreed. I tried dung-showering once with a rolled up magazine and my fancy opposable thumbs, and still failed miserably

(google "dung showering" if you need to)

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I prefer impressing people with lots of money to spend.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
LJD
practical experience, FTW

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:

Depends on who the "you" is. It only makes sense for certain people. Not for people who always seem to be impressed with their own work. Not for people with Golden Word Syndrome.
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Putputt
boop boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklime View Post
agreed. I tried dung-showering once with a rolled up magazine and my fancy opposable thumbs, and still failed miserably

(google "dung showering" if you need to)
The trick for you humans is in the wrist action...

corny

use my edges to...
"scratch your itch"

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't know about impress, but I do write to please myself. And I'm a hard taskmaster.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Smile

Quote:

Thank you, Butterfly. I like that saying.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
buzhidao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putputt View Post
The trick for you humans is in the wrist action...
I would think it also has a bit to do with the right consistency of mixture, yeah? I mean, a dehydrated medium isn't going to spray quite right...
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
slhuang
Rhymes with wrong.

slhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
Ummm, I don't buy it. Being impressed with yourself is easy, and proves nothing. I'm also not big on impressing others, either, but at least it takes some sort of effort to do this.
Oh, I'm the exact opposite. Like buzhidao, I feel like I impress other people all the damn time, but I hold myself to a much higher standard. (It's murder on the ego! But I do think it helps me produce better work.)

Like LJD said, I think whether this quote applies depends entirely on what type of personality you have. For some people it should probably be entirely inverted -- depends on whether you're more or less exacting with yourself than the general public, I think.

What AWers say:

"I was hooked at the first line. It's like Lee Child--who I really like a lot--only better."--Wanderluster
"I feel a bit lost now. I need another book, but that was so good."--usuallycountingbats

Blog * Twitter * Mailing list
slhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
katci13
creative genie

katci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of light
I'm pretty hard to impressed so if I'm thinking something in my writing is great, it must be pretty great. Lol! Sometimes we're our own worst (and best) critic. I also like to try and out do myself. Kind of compete with the successes of my past. One day I'll be freaking brilliant.

Like slhuang....I impress other people all the time. Lol! It's easy to impress other people when they can't do what you do (and sometimes even when they can.) My standards are pretty high and I fall short all the time, but I'm the one who needs to believe it's great at the end of the day. If I'm not impressed it's going in the story graveyard with the rest of my crap. I don't care how much anyone else likes it.

Works in Progress:

Dark YA Fantasy (Drafting)
Dark YA Fantasy (Outlining)
YA Supernatural Horror (Drafting)
katci13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewelAshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewel
I can not impress myself. It is my fatal flaw. Nothing I do is never good enough. There is always something I can do better. Although, most people think differently.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I heard a similar quote not that long ago (can't remember where or who said it), but I like this wording better: "An artist should create art to express, not to impress."

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
Putputt
boop boop

Quote:
I would think it also has a bit to do with the right consistency of mixture, yeah? I mean, a dehydrated medium isn't going to spray quite right...
Depends on how hard you flick, my friend.

corny

use my edges to...
"scratch your itch"

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #20
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I can't get past that dung-showering thingie. Wait.

Okay, I think I. . .

Nope. Can't do it.

Weeping pimples marred Meg's wide, unpleasant face, already darkened by course hairs sprouting from cheeks and chin. Her arms were unnaturally hairy. Long black hairs sprang from both areolas and a mass of black hair snaked up her belly from her pubes.
By the time Meg Chance was twelve, that die was cast.
My little blog:
/what-are-we-thinking/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by katci13 View Post
I'm pretty hard to impressed so if I'm thinking something in my writing is great, it must be pretty great. Lol! Sometimes we're our own worst (and best) critic. I also like to try and out do myself. Kind of compete with the successes of my past. One day I'll be freaking brilliant.

Like slhuang....I impress other people all the time. Lol! It's easy to impress other people when they can't do what you do (and sometimes even when they can.) My standards are pretty high and I fall short all the time, but I'm the one who needs to believe it's great at the end of the day. If I'm not impressed it's going in the story graveyard with the rest of my crap. I don't care how much anyone else likes it.
I guess my problem is that none of it matters. Fact remains fact, and whether you impress yourself or others doesn't change the quality of whatever is is you do. You can be impressed as hell over something you do, and it can still be pure crap. Or you can think it's pure crap, and pretty much the entire world can think it's platinum all the way through.

In writing, no matter how impressed you are with your own work, when you put it out there in public it can still get shot down, and almost always does.

I just don't see how being "impressed" with yourself is anything other than ego. I also think you have to be careful when you impress others. Who you impress, and why you impress them, is key, not how many you impress.

Like many other things, I think "impressed" with yourself is another way of saying "we're all worthy", no matter what anyone else says. From all I've read, Ted Bundy was impressed as hell with himself.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Impressing myself doesn't pay the bills.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
randi.lee
More cowbell!

randi.lee is a shiny, shiny jewelrandi.lee is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Littlefield View Post
Thank you, Butterfly. I like that saying.
Me too!

Please try not to take me too seriously. What I've posted above is most likely in jest.

Snap! A Quite Quick Collection now available on Amazon.
randi.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #24
butterfly
On the verge

butterfly is well-respected
Well, you don't have to like it and you don't have to dung shower either (no, I didn't look it up).

And it has truth. You have to impress yourself, even if only with little things, because that is the impetus for your next good thing, whether is art, craft, or otherwise. Whether you simply pick the best word without looking it up or make someone's day by choosing soothing words, you have to continue to be impressed with yourself.

Thank you Susan and Randi!

http://introverted-writer.blogspot.com/

Last edited by butterfly; 01-16-2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: forgot my manners
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #25
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Someone hasn't head about the Dunning-Kruger effect..

The better you think you are, the more likely that isn't the case.

Shakespeare said it best : "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."

I don't write to impress anyone - that leads to words that I think will impress other writers. Not readers. Or to writing that 'sounds' writerly but is in fact pants.

I write to tell a story to the best of my ability.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote