Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
JLBrady
up to no good

JLBrady is on a distinguished road
How many times have you read your novel?

Cover-to-cover, like reading any other story. Just curious. I'm in the revision phase, so it feels like I've read the thing a million times. Even though it's probably closer to... three.

Or are you a random-attack-editor that goes after disconnected sections of the manuscript?
JLBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Beachgirl
Write, dammit!

Beachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBrady View Post
Cover-to-cover, like reading any other story. Just curious. I'm in the revision phase, so it feels like I've read the thing a million times. Even though it's probably closer to... three.

Or are you a random-attack-editor that goes after disconnected sections of the manuscript?
I typically read it through that way twice, before I submit it to my publisher. And I never read them again after they're published. I don't want to take the risk of finding some random error and stressing about it after the fact.

BookStrand* Amazon
Blog * Twitter
AW Library
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
J. Marks
Philalexandros

J. Marks has a spectacular aura
So many times that I've lost count. Probably dozens. Each time I read it, it's from beginning to end, tweaking little things as I go along. I find that's the most logical way for me.
J. Marks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have reread to the point I am sick of my own work!

I go over the novels in a very obsessive manner. I've chopped and screwed them to death. I still find something to worry over.

I also like the flow of my words *arrogant face*

I go through the MS one chapter at a time and make notes for each one. Then I look at the notes and try to see if any problems are emerging. Then I make corrections and leave it alone for awhile. I go back with fresh eyes and repeat the process.

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
goldhorse
Oooh look at the pretty pony!

goldhorse is on a distinguished road
So many I get a little nauseous when I pick it up again. Got to keep plugging away though. I'll be 125 before I finish if I don't.
goldhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Snowstorm
Snow's here!

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty27 View Post
I have reread to the point I am sick of my own work!
This. I don't know how many times I've read it. It seems like a million times.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
Until my eyes bleed and I'm so sick and tired of reading my same novel that even someone mentioning the title at random makes me Seriously, editing is crucial, absolutely necessary, but you can only read the same thing so many times without getting sick of it, but I usually do it, while I'm editing, till I can't take it anymore.
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
OhTheHorror
jlw

OhTheHorror is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgirl View Post
And I never read them again after they're published. I don't want to take the risk of finding some random error and stressing about it after the fact.
That's some damn good advice, Beachgirl.

OhTheHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
rwm4768
practical experience, FTW

rwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputation
Too many.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 172K Revising
The Battle Stone (Upper MG Fantasy): 70K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 49,000/120,000
rwm4768 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Sunflowerrei

Sunflowerrei has a spectacular auraSunflowerrei has a spectacular aura
I'm more like you, JL Brady. I'm revising too, going into another draft. I have some distance from it and I finally read it cover-to-cover about a month or two ago on hard copy. It was probably the second time I read it all the way through--the last was when I finished the first draft. I made my notes all the way through, but I edit and revise in chunks.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter

Goodreads
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
JLBrady
up to no good

JLBrady is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I usually have to read it on something other than my laptop screen to feel properly disconnected from it. I usually load it up onto my kindle and read it that way.

My poor printer has seen better days. That, and my dog has an overwhelming fear of it. So no paper for me.
JLBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
While writing, I read it lots of times, as other people said, until I get sick of it. I read it looking for errors, or when stuck looking for inspiration to continue on.

But once it's published? Never. I'll sometimes read a short story right after it comes out, but for the most part I'm so focused on the next project I don't go back.

Resingled Querying!
Nyasaland Off to betas. PM me if you'd like to help a guy out.
WIP: WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 41,000 words.

Write on, Brother! (blog)
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
OhTheHorror
jlw

OhTheHorror is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, I usually have to read it on something other than my laptop screen to feel properly disconnected from it.
Same here, except I print it and do it that way.

I usually do two full read throughs, just to make sure I haven't missed anything in edits, before I send it off. But I read it countless times, bit by bit.

OhTheHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
Becky Black
Writing my way off the B Ark

Becky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of light
5,452,830 times.

Okay, no. I have no clue how many times I read my books in the editing, but it's a lot. When I add them to my shelves on Goodreads there's a field for "how many times have you read this book?" I just laugh hysterically.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If my writing is going smoothly, I'll generally read the previous cpt. before continuing on, just to get myself in the groove.

But if I'm stuck, I tend to reread the thing in its entirety, hoping that seeing the big picture will spur some damn thing.

Meaning, I reread the thing in its entirety a lot.
At 1:22 a.m., the characters said:
“Um, how does fifty bucks sound? Oh, I forgot, you need to process this first, right?”
“No, Cherry. I need to kiss your mouth first.”
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Once when I finish, and then whatever reading is required during the editing stage after it sells.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
aikigypsy

aikigypsy is on a distinguished road
It feels like a lot, but I don't think I read it straight through very often at all, maybe once before each rewrite or major edit, and then right before sending it out. Each of those times, I make some notes and minor edits even if I'm 95% in "reader mode." If you count the times I go through each scene, though? I dunno, 50,000 times?

I haven't published much, but by the time something's out there, I never want to look at it again!
aikigypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
allmywires
Rock-licker

allmywires is on a distinguished road
I like to read it through on the Kindle and have my laptop open as I do it, so I can correct as I go. Funny how the simple things, like printing it out, make you see it completely differently!

I've read this one, hmm, maybe 3 or 4 times in total. Certain parts I've read close to a hundred times, I'm sure. I know it so well that if I'm searching for a certain scene in my Word document I can type a distinct word or phrase from that scene in Ctrl-F and find it easily...
allmywires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
Too many times. Far too many friggin' times.
Hibernating: DIVIDE THE SKY (YA UF), THE LEVIATHAN RISES (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
KTC
THE REASONS - Now Available!

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I typically don't read mine.
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
Putputt
is a godmama!

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For my first book, enough times such that I Pavlov-ed myself into wanting to puke every time someone mentions "edit" and the title of the book.

I'm hoping I won't need to read this one that many times...

blog
: Interview with slhuang about her newly-released book!
Twittur

Repped by SLA.

Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #22
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't read them yet.

Haha. Seriously though. Each one varies. I think the average for me is between 8 to 12 times. The thing I cringe about is when I JUST read it and someone asks for a revision.

And I too(for the same reasons) don't read it after it's published and everything's said and done.
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
LBlankenship
VPXV 4EVA

LBlankenship is a shiny, shiny jewelLBlankenship is a shiny, shiny jewel
Heh, here I am being contrary again...

I try not to look at it too much. I write lists of changes I need to make, as I think of them, and when I sit down to revise it's an intensive process. But in between, no fiddling, no "fine-tuning", I slap my hand away.

Partly it's because I have an over-polishing urge. Too much second-guessing can lead me toward editing everything down to bland phrases and vagueness, so I try to protect those raw images that came to me in the moment of writing.

Four full drafts, five tops.

On the down side, I find I tend to remember earlier drafts more clearly than late ones. Sometimes I'll be revising and get to a scene that makes me say "When did this happen? Oh, right, this was because of..."

Available at all major e-retailers • Disciple, Part IV on sale now!

Samples at my book blog: Disciples of the Fount • Writing blog: Notes from the Jovian frontier • Twitter: LBlankenship_sf
Creative Services for self-publishers: covers, ebook formatting, and more
LBlankenship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #24
sennydreadful
X-Box Fancier

sennydreadful is on a distinguished road
I'm in the middle of revisions, so I reckon I must have read the entire thing about five times now. Curiously I'm not sick of it yet though, a first for me in the editing process - I guess I must really love this one.
sennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
BethS
writer, rider, reader

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

I haven't finished it yet, but since I revise as I go, I've read through each scene literally dozens of times.